Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #281
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nope, sorry, I'm not going to let this one go.

Ezra Levant is a confirmed huckster, if this niche existed, his other media ventures like Western Standard or Sun News wouldn't have gone out of business and his articles dropped by newspapers.

Ezra Levant is not a journalist, the rebel is not journalism, it's not anything even approaching journalism, and if you think it is, you should really re-examine what you think you know as truth and critical analysis.

It is a dangerous element in Canadian society and cannot be allowed to be confused with credible news gathering or presenting organizations.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #282
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
It does. At the root of it, both are biased.

The reality is for the situation you described is that CNN has a slight bias and Fox has an extreme bias.
Agreed, but to say the CBC is at fault for crap like rebel, is a bad attempt at false equivalence
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #283
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
You can sigh all you want Flash, but it doesn't make anything that I said less true. The fact is the Rebel continues to gain followers because there is a perceived echo chamber on the left not reporting the issues they feel are important to them.
They aren't reporting. Journalism is supposed to be giving a review of events. Trump actually called cnn out on this when he called them fake news. As soon as you have a motive to get people to agree with your view on something, it's not news, it's propaganda. Left to right it is rampant in today's media and politics. The reason they are gaining followers is because they tell people what they want to hear by distorting or misrepresenting information. There are many outlets doing the same thing in every political corner.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:06 PM   #284
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Four or five states are taking step to criminalize peaceful protest and everyone is focused on the clown in chief. Looks like Republicans are actually going to love Trump. He's the perfect distraction.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #285
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is going to be a long 4 years
Old 01-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #286
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this the lawrence Welk show? Lol
Old 01-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #287
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Four or five states are taking step to criminalize peaceful protest and everyone is focused on the clown in chief. Looks like Republicans are actually going to love Trump. He's the perfect distraction.
Yep.

Having journalists on the ground in those 4 or 5 states is expensive though put tweeting out still images from a broadcast video is cheap.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #288
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Nope, sorry, I'm not going to let this one go.

Ezra Levant is a confirmed huckster, if this niche existed, his other media ventures like Western Standard or Sun News wouldn't have gone out of business and his articles dropped by newspapers.

Ezra Levant is not a journalist, the rebel is not journalism, it's not anything even approaching journalism, and if you think it is, you should really re-examine what you think you know as truth and critical analysis.

It is a dangerous element in Canadian society and cannot be allowed to be confused with credible news gathering or presenting organizations.
I certainly didn't make that claim Flash that the Rebel qualifies as journalism.

Journalism is what many major news organizations tend to be transitioning away from, in favor of much cheaper punditry and clickbait model. That transition is muddying the waters because now anyone can pen an article and give their thoughts with little to no facts to support it.

Perhaps I didn't make it clear. I never claimed the Rebel is journalism, it is largely shock punditry.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #289
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
This is why America deserves Trump. The disconnect with their state and local government is appalling, and the progressive wall that has been in place at a federal level has held the GOP back time after time from these types of attempts. Now it's open season.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #290
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Agreed, but to say the CBC is at fault for crap like rebel, is a bad attempt at false equivalence
I didn't say they were exclusively contributing to it, but I do place higher amount of scrutiny on them because they are a publicly funded broadcaster.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #291
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

POS White Supremeacist Richard Spencer got punched in the face today

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.676fe250677f

video

The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #292
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
This is why trump won:

No, Trump's win is a culmination of 40 years of liberals trying to compromise and abide by decorum and be the little nice people, all while conservatives - led by the GOP and their braying, frothing TV and radio pundits - declared and waged all-out warfare against them.

Far as I'm concerned, if it was a war the right wanted, it's about time the left gave it to them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dogbert For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #293
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

No, Trump won because Hillary didn't motivate the Obama coalition to come out and vote.

But let's not refight the election for the billionth time.

This: https://www.whitehouse.gov/america-first-foreign-policy Is on the White House's new website and contains the following language:

Quote:
This strategy starts by withdrawing from the Trans-Pacific Partnership and making certain that any new trade deals are in the interests of American workers. President Trump is committed to renegotiating NAFTA. If our partners refuse a renegotiation that gives American workers a fair deal, then the President will give notice of the United States’ intent to withdraw from NAFTA.
Emphasis added by me.

This seems to me the most immediate thing which directly affects Canada and Canadians from a Trump Presidency. Presumably, Trump is more talking about the trade with Mexico, but the trade with Canada is bigger.

What would Canadians want in a new NAFTA deal? What would Canadians be willing to sacrifice in order for the US to 'get a better deal' in order to keep something like NAFTA in place. Does it benefit Canadians for NAFTA to remain, or would we be better off with it scrapped?
Old 01-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #294
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
No, Trump won because Hillary didn't motivate the Obama coalition to come out and vote.

But let's not refight the election for the billionth time.

This: https://www.whitehouse.gov/america-first-foreign-policy Is on the White House's new website and contains the following language:

Emphasis added by me.

This seems to me the most immediate thing which directly affects Canada and Canadians from a Trump Presidency. Presumably, Trump is more talking about the trade with Mexico, but the trade with Canada is bigger.

What would Canadians want in a new NAFTA deal? What would Canadians be willing to sacrifice in order for the US to 'get a better deal' in order to keep something like NAFTA in place. Does it benefit Canadians for NAFTA to remain, or would we be better off with it scrapped?
From my understanding, Canada and the US still have a FTA that was signed in the late 80s and which would immediately come back into effect should NAFTA be scrapped.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:06 PM   #295
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I don't think Canada will suffer that much. If anything it might get better. I'm not a delusional Trump fan either. I despise the man.

I think he will try to go after the countries that literally take American manufacturing jobs and do it for much less. I.E. vehicle manufacturers moving good paying jobs to Mexico because labor is a lot cheaper and the regulations are lax and easy to manipulate. I have zero sympathy for these countries.

This issue has affected Canada as well. Just the other day I had a conversation with someone in our industry in regards to the Chinese coming over to our trade shows, stealing all our product ideas, going back home and manufacturing them for a tenth of the price, and selling them to Canada again basically bankrupting the original manufacturer.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I do feel our governments should make a bigger effort to try and keep good jobs here instead of signing stupid trade agreements where the middle class loses in the long run.

If bloody Tesla can design, engineer, manufacture and support sales of a bloody brand new idea like the electric car, ALL in North America, it just goes to show there is a way to get it done. We are supposed to be the leaders in automation, robotics, etc, etc and all companies care about is sending jobs overseas to cut labor costs.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #296
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
If bloody Tesla can design, engineer, manufacture and support sales of a bloody brand new idea like the electric car, ALL in North America, it just goes to show there is a way to get it done. We are supposed to be the leaders in automation, robotics, etc, etc and all companies care about is sending jobs overseas to cut labor costs.
I get your sentiment but Tesla is a luxury brand. People have been paying $100k+ for those cars and they still aren't really making money.

To your larger point, I'm not sure the average person realizes that bringing the jobs home is going to mean either an increase in the cost of consumer goods or a gutting of labour laws. Sure we'll have jobs but they'll be crap jobs and we'll pay more for everything. I do agree that those countries having terrible labour conditions and us exploiting that for profit and cheap goods is a huge problem and morally suspect.

Overseas jobs are just one piece though. Most of the jobs have gone due to automation and a changing energy industry. Are the nationalists going to completely put the breaks on progress and technology?
Old 01-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #297
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need to phone all my Yankee family and borrow some moola since they're all swimming in money now.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #298
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by station View Post
I get your sentiment but Tesla is a luxury brand. People have been paying $100k+ for those cars and they still aren't really making money.
Tesla is working to bring out a $35k car, and the cost of batteries and solar is coming down. So the ability to innovate and create something 'new' and do it all within the North American market is possible.

Quote:
To your larger point, I'm not sure the average person realizes that bringing the jobs home is going to mean either an increase in the cost of consumer goods or a gutting of labour laws. Sure we'll have jobs but they'll be crap jobs and we'll pay more for everything. I do agree that those countries having terrible labour conditions and us exploiting that for profit and cheap goods is a huge problem and morally suspect.

Overseas jobs are just one piece though. Most of the jobs have gone due to automation and a changing energy industry. Are the nationalists going to completely put the breaks on progress and technology?
There are other jobs being created though. The trades are hiring like crazy, and are often having a tough time of finding good, skilled workers. Tech is hiring as well, among other industries. A.I. and robotics will be hiring as well.

My issue with the jobs lost is when a company ships jobs away to shady countries with lax regulations strictly for cheap labor. In a way I guess you could say they are exploiting those workers. Obviously we are not going to start making the iPhone in the US, or computer parts of any kind. But we can do a lot more here. And if the cost of labor is high, find a way to innovate. Create something new.

Even with hiding profits overseas. The whole point of a good corporate tax rate is so that companies will reinvest their profits into job creation, but they sure as hell aren't doing that if the money is sitting in Iceland.

I'm using Tesla as an example because Musk is trying to create something completely new, and he's trying to create it from nothing buy his own money and capital. Even SpaceX is a completely new approach to something that has been around for a long time.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #299
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade in general is found to create definite loosers that do not recover. However the net effect of trade is positive for people.

So by bringing jobs back to America you increase the cost of all goods. An IPhone would cost $100 or so more to manufacture in the US.

So everyone pays more for a new phone while a small number of people get jobs
Old 01-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #300
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Trade in general is found to create definite loosers that do not recover. However the net effect of trade is positive for people.

So by bringing jobs back to America you increase the cost of all goods. An IPhone would cost $100 or so more to manufacture in the US.

So everyone pays more for a new phone while a small number of people get jobs
Worth it if you're Trump I guess.
Closed Thread

Tags
making snl great again , soviet murica? , trade wars , trumpcare = doa , utterly insane pressers