Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #2481
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Trump's expected choice for ambassador to the EU is, of course, someone who wants to tear apart the EU.

Quote:
Malloch, a businessman who stridently supported Brexit ahead of the vote in June, is said to have been interviewed for the post by Trump.

When recently asked by the BBC why he was interested in moving to Brussels, Malloch replied: “I had in a previous career a diplomatic post where I helped bring down the Soviet Union. So maybe there’s another union that needs a little taming.”

He also said that Trump was not a fan of the EU, described it as “supranational and unelected” and attacked the European commission’s president, Jean-Claude Juncker. “Mr Juncker was a very adequate mayor I think of some city in Luxembourg, and maybe he should go back and do that again,” he said.
Needless to say, EU parties aren't happy and are trying to have his accreditation blocked - https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...och-parliament
Old 02-02-2017, 02:52 PM   #2482
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump makes choosing people for jobs look easy. Simply, pick the worst person for the job.
Bannon is winning and seeing his vision come true.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #2483
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Trump's expected choice for ambassador to the EU is, of course, someone who wants to tear apart the EU.

Needless to say, EU parties aren't happy and are trying to have his accreditation blocked - https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...och-parliament
I wonder which European cold-war super power could possibly want the EU dissolved....

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
Old 02-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #2484
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
I wonder which European cold-war super power could possibly want the EU dissolved....
England
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #2485
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
That wasn't the analogy. It was that the ####storm down there could end up blowing this way eventually.
This.

Basically, my point was that I guess having to pay $500-$1,000 more per year due to a carbon tax doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, if the grand scheme of things is massive changes in the U.S. to human rights of minorities across the board, thinly veiled corruption, and sledgehammer diplomacy that could affect our way of life if we like it or not.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
Old 02-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #2486
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Regardless of whats going on in the USA I still think the Carbon tax is a load of ####.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #2487
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'm sorry guys, but anyone who supports the exploding bureaucracy coming out of Brussels related to the EU needs their head examined, imo.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #2488
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
i'm sorry guys, but anyone who supports the exploding bureaucracy coming out of Brussels related to the EU needs their head examined, imo.
Yeah. The EU has become such a cluster ####. Such a bloated bureaucracy.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #2489
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Interesting article on the stream protection rule that Congress killed, interesting insight into the seemingly infinite labyrinth of government workings.

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/2/14488448...rotection-rule
Old 02-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #2490
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The United States is expected to impose sanctions on multiple Iranian entities as early as Friday following Tehran's recent ballistic missile test, but in a way that will not violate the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, sources familiar with the matter said on Thursday.

One source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said about eight Iranian entities were to be sanctioned, or "designated" in U.S. legal jargon, for terrorism-related activities and about 17 for ballistic missile-related activities under separate existing U.S. executive orders. The source declined to name the entities.

The sources said the new sanctions had been in the works for some time and that Iran's decision to test-fire a ballistic missile on Sunday had helped to trigger U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to impose them.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN15H2OE
Old 02-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #2491
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Not really surprised by the US reaction to the missile launch. Iran was actually pretty stupid in putting on this test so quickly into Trump's presidency.

Its equivalent to shoving your finger into his nose.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 02-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #2492
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump:

Quote:
We have to be tough. It’s time we’re going to be tough, folks. We’re taken advantage of by every nation in the world, virtually.
Virtually.. hehe. Like virtually in your own head.. cybers
Old 02-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #2493
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I screenshotted a bunch of approval ratings for various demographics:

Spoiler!

Edit: Put everything in spoiler tags.
Edit: The "Weekly," "Nearly Weekly/Monthly" and "Seldom/Never" ratings represent church-goers.

Last edited by FanIn80; 02-02-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #2494
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump imposes "alternative sanctions" on Russia, i.e. gets rid of them, allowing the sale of restricted items to the FSB and KGB again. I wonder what will come up this with house Republicans who had said they'd revolt of this happened. Trump responds with "I am not easing anything" but I'm easing something.

Quote:
The U.S. Treasury Department on Thursday eased economic sanctions on Russia, allowing some cyber-security sales to the Russian Federal Security Service accused of meddling in the U.S. electoral process.

Some Russian officials applauded the move as signaling a thaw in relations with Washington. But several members of Congress decried the move as pandering to Russia and its hacking attempts. The Trump administration, meanwhile, denied any easing of sanctions, describing the changes as routine tweaking of complicated policy.

The move by Treasury makes changes to sanctions initially imposed by President Obama in April 2015 and strengthened again in December, in reaction to alleged "malicious cyber-enabled activities" by Russia's security service, known as the FSB, in the U.S. electoral process.

The changes by the Office of Foreign Assets Control cover "all transactions and activities" involving the FSB, the successor to the KGB, that were banned by Obama's executive orders. It specifically eases the ban on sales of information technology products to the FSB.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...medium=twitter
Old 02-02-2017, 03:29 PM   #2495
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Not really surprised by the US reaction to the missile launch. Iran was actually pretty stupid in putting on this test so quickly into Trump's presidency.

Its equivalent to shoving your finger into his nose.
Listening to Fareed Zakaria the other day and it was suggested that some hardline conservatives in Iran may be trying to sabotage the deal they hate
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #2496
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
So you'd be ok with the EU sending the USA an ambassador who has gone on record saying the USA is a failed state run by incompetent and corrupt clowns, and who bragged he was going to get in the President's face about what a joke the country he runs is?

Maybe you ought to think about what the word "diplomat" entails.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #2497
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Regardless of whats going on in the USA I still think the Carbon tax is a load of ####.
I'll gladly trade you places and cover that Carbon tax to get away from this clown show.

In other news, the House is working on the big issues.

Quote:
The House voted 235-180 to roll back an attempt by the Social Security Administration to block disability recipients with mental disorders like schizophrenia and severe anxiety from owning guns.

The rule required reporting people who receive disability benefits and have a mental health condition to the FBI’s background check system. But critics said the restrictions would have also applied to disability recipients who needed financial help managing their benefits.
http://thehill.com/regulation/317634...a-era-gun-rule

So it's clearly very important that someone not mentally stable enough to sign their own checks has unfettered access to firearms. I feel much safer now.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #2498
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
So you'd be ok with the EU sending the USA an ambassador who has gone on record saying the USA is a failed state run by incompetent and corrupt clowns, and who bragged he was going to get in the President's face about what a joke the country he runs is?

Maybe you ought to think about what the word "diplomat" entails.
You're talking to residents of a country that once elected a separatist party as it's official Opposition.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #2499
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
"Mexico agreed to pay for the wall as long as it was imaginary. I negotiated that deal. Another great success. Everyone says so. I am a great negotiator, the best, fantastic.
#AlternativeWalls

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
Old 02-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #2500
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Listening to Fareed Zakaria the other day and it was suggested that some hardline conservatives in Iran may be trying to sabotage the deal they hate
They are the Grand Old Party of Iran(GOPI)

Tags
making snl great again , soviet murica? , trade wars , trumpcare = doa , utterly insane pressers