Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Ask An Educator
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Guest1

Default Weird thing my kid told me...

My five year old told me the other night that "numbers are either a boy or girl" and that "letters are colours".

Is this weird or normal?

Old 12-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Synesthesia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

Though probably just kid brain being a kid brain.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
DataDoxy
Bingo's Better Half

Exp:

Puxlut,

Kids are unique and creative thinkers and I do hear things like this often. Your child is trying to organize things (new information) into his/her schemas. This is an important and necessary part of constructing our understanding of the world around us as we grow and learn. I would take this is a positive sign. Who knows, maybe a future scientific thinker?
Old 12-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Synesthesia is actually quite common.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Old 12-14-2014, 10:28 PM   #6
Guest1

I've been reading through this and it fascinates me. I've been asking co-workers and friends if they have heard this or do this and I've only found one so far that does this.
Another weird thing happened today. She was at my husbands company Christmas party. And getting all excited to see Santa and then getting the number one present that she asked for she freaked out (OMG! I can't believe it!!!! A Monster High Doll!!!!) Then about 10 minutes after (after all the paper was gone and thrown away) She wanted to know why Santa used the same paper as Mommy (I checked, there were only a few with the same paper)She was so fixated on the paper that she was convinced that I got it for her. She saw the paper for all of 2 minutes (from when Santa gave it to her and she ripped it off) She's got a freaky memory (like her Dad) and sometimes she says other weird stuff. She's only 5? Maybe I should document it all hahah!

Old 12-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think like this. Pretty much exactly like the girl in the videos except even/odd instead of factors of three. Even numbers tend to be cool colours and odd tends to be warm colours.

When I was younger I thought it might be from those fridge magnets that used to be popular (I also see the letters of the alphabet in colours) but now I'm not so sure because when I learned to play an instrument I found the chord flavours (like minor, major, etc) had colours too.

Because letters have a colour and the chord flavour has a colour, all the chords have a unique colour. For instance the letter C is sky blue for me and minor chords are grey so C minor is a greyish blue colour. The sharps/flats are weird. I think my brain randomly assigned them colours when I was learning. They have their own colour that has no relation to any of the two notes they lie between. F# is light purple but G is orange and F is dark maroon. Bb is golden yellow but A is red and B is blue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
Guest1

I wonder if we did a poll in Off Topic, how many people would say they have synesthesia?

Old 12-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was young, I also used to think certain numbers were male and others were female? Is that normal!?
Old 12-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #10
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
When I was young, I also used to think certain numbers were male and others were female? Is that normal!?
Also, synesthesia. My wife and daughter claim this as well.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #11
DataDoxy
Bingo's Better Half

Exp:

Fascinating! I have been doing some research on synesthesia and it is a very interesting phenomena. For me numbers are connected with emotions more than colors. Since creating a visual representation and/or making an emotional connection is so important for learning and retaining information, associating something known with something being learning can be very helpful for many people. One objective in early math learning is helping kids see and recognize numbers as groups of objects without having to count them (subitizing) rather than merely seeing numbers as "symbols". (For example, knowing *** is three, not just "3" is three). Perhaps kids that see these groups in colors may be able to memorize the concepts of numbers more effectively. Something interesting for future research....
Old 01-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
Guest1

Interesting you should talk about that! Ryley's Kindergarten teacher sent home flash cards (that look like dice) and told us to get them to practice this. And Ryley actually used the word "subitizing" to tell me what she had to practice. She's such a weird kid...

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #13
darthma
Scoring Winger

Location: Down by the sea, where the watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go...
Exp:

Billy Joel and Kanye West have this, I think. Very interesting stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to darthma For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #14
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had something like this as a kid. I would count out the letters of words in my head and if they didn't end in perfect factors of 3, (I preferred a perfect 9) I would keep adding words on until I formed a sentence that ended in a factor of 3.

I also thought of the alphabet in terms of gender. Sounds absolutely insane to type this stuff out.
The Following User Says Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #15
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Numbers and some common words used to have colours and shapes for me. Now that I'm older the only one I can remember is that y was yellow and had a weird pyramid like irregular shape. Sad that I lost it
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #16
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
I wonder if we did a poll in Off Topic, how many people would say they have synesthesia?
Probably Blue