Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Ask An Educator
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
DataDoxy
Bingo's Better Half

Exp:
Default Omega-3, Learning and the Brain

Street Pharmacist's post:
Quote:
Opinion on Omega 3? I haven't found any compelling we evidence, but have had a few patents ask for it as their kids teachers have told them it helps
Great question! During my ten years of teaching I have observed both sides of the coin on this one. Some students have definitely had great success with nutritional and/or supplementation treatments however, I have also seen situations where there has not been much of a noticeable impact post treatment. There are many reasons for varied results such as the unique biochemistry of individuals and their neurocognitive needs, the family’s commitment to the treatment regiment, prescribed dosages, and things such as reporting fidelity to name a few. That said, I have done a small amount of research in the area of Omega-3 and Omega-6 and can offer a brief summary of what I have found.

Omega-3 fatty acids (eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)) is important as it regulates signal transduction and gene-expression. It also protects neurons from death. Over the past decades, there has been some research that suggests that low Omega-3 levels negatively impacts learning and behavior and conversely, optimal amounts of Omega-3 seems to have regenerative type effects. Sadly, a large percentage of Western diets have low levels of Omega-3 which could mean supplementation of a good source of Omega-3 might be helpful for many of us Westerners. Here is some of the research…

According to scientists from The
Centre for Evidence-Based Intervention at Oxford University (Montgomery, Burton, Sewell, Spreckelsen, & Richardson, 2013), low blood long chain Omega-3 Fatty Acids in children has been associated with poor cognitive performance and behavior. Specifically, they claim that, “Low blood Omega-3 LC-PUFA concentrations have been reported in children with ADHD and related behavior or learning difficulties [1, 2] as have benefits from dietary supplementation [3–5]. Furthermore, in one study of boys with and without ADHD, links between low blood Omega-3 status and behavior as well as general health problems were found to extend across the combined sample [1], suggesting that a lack of these fatty acids may also have important consequences in the general population [6]. Similarly, low Omega-3 levels were associated with reading performance in a sample of dyslexic and non-dyslexic adults.”

From what I have read, in addition to having sufficient levels of Omega-3, the ratio of the Omega-3 to Omega-6 may also be important.

Although supplementation with Omega-3 is still in debate, it seems that supplementation of Omega-3 (and Omega-6) has proven to impact cognition and behavior in positive ways for many students.

For more information, here are some links to some interesting reference articles.

https://www.ibp.ucla.edu/research/GomezPinilla/publications/Diet1457.pdf
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12035-010-8162-0#page-1
http://www.nourishingresults.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Freeman2006Omega-3-fatty-acids-evidence-basis-for-treatment-and-future-research.pdf
http://www.spi.ox.ac.uk/uploads/tx_o...s/lowBlood.pdf

Footnotes:
1. Stevens LJ, Zentall SS, Deck JL, Abate ML, Watkins BA, et al. (1995) Essential fatty acid metabolismin boys with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Am J Clin Nutr 62: 761-768.
2. Chen JR, Hsu SF, Hsu CD, Hwang LH, Yang SC (2004) Dietary patterns and blood fatty acid composition in children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder in Taiwan. J Nutr Biochem 15: 467–472. 3. Sinn N, Bryan J, Wilson C (2008) Cognitive effects of polyunsaturated fatty acids in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms: a randomised controlled trial. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 78: 311–326.
4. Bloch MH, Qawasmi A (2011) Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supplementation for the Treatment of Children With Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Symp-tomatology: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 50: 991–1000.
5. Richardson AJ, Montgomery P (2005) The Oxford-Durham study: a randomized, controlled trial of dietary supplementation with fatty acids in children with developmental coordination disorder. Pediatrics 115: 1360–1366.
6. Burgess JR, Stevens LJ (2003) Essential fatty acids in relation to attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. In: Glen I, Horrobin DF, editors. Phospholipid spectrum disorders in psychiatry and neurology Carnforth: Marius Press. 511–519

Last edited by DataDoxy; 09-22-2014 at 07:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DataDoxy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
Tyler12
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have been on the Omega 3 bus for years, never felt different it might help skin, hair, brain ect. What do you think of the reports saying Omega 3's Age the Brain faster then not taking it. Not Pro Or Con, just asking.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
DataDoxy
Bingo's Better Half

Exp:

I can not find much research that supports the theory that Omega-3s accelerate brain aging. A recent study I have come across regarding brain aging and Omega-3's is, "Red blood cell omega-3 fatty acid levels and markers of accelerated brain aging". It suggests that Participants with lower DHA and ω-3 index (RBC DHA+EPA) levels also had lower scores on tests of visual memory (β ± SE = −0.47 ± 0.18; p = 0.008), executive function (β ± SE = −0.07 ± 0.03; p = 0.004), and abstract thinking (β ± SE = −0.52 ± 0.18; p = 0.004)", thus supporting the theory that Omega-3 protects the brain from age related changes rather than impairs it. For a full read, the article can be found at:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3286229/

Similar findings have been reported in most of the scientific journals I have read. Feel free to pass along research that reports different findings as I am interested in reading them.

For interest sake, I just found out that Omega-3 and Omega-6 have been added to all prenatal vitamins to aid in brain development. It is also used as a supplemental treatment for Alzheimer.

Gotta go... I too am jumping on the Omega bus! Save me a seat!
Old 10-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
Discoste
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So now that you want to take fish oil, what to look for in buying:

-Molecular Distillation for purity

-Types of fish listed: smaller fish, like sardine and herring and short lifespans

-EPA and DHA content: most common is 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA (written 180/120). There are concentrated doses available

Footnotes:
Cod Liver Oil is not a good option if you are strictly after EPA/DHA

Meg-3 is probably one of the best "sources" of omega 3s. Used in some of the major brands out there: http://meg-3.com/about-meg-3/in-stor...y-supplements/
Since they are from the same source, best value may be from generic store-brand (e.g. Costco/Kirkland).

I've started biting the capsules to see (taste) how fresh they are. If they are rancid, will know it right away. Never has happened to me so far with capsules (but has with liquid oil - dont forget to put in fridge)
The Following User Says Thank You to Discoste For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
Righteous1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I been taking fish oil for a while, I haven't noticed much of a difference to be honest. However one thing I noticed a difference with was creatine. I cycle on and off ot, when working out and when on it I definitely feel like my brain memory and brain just functions much better. I now tend to take my cycle around exam period, as I find it helps me out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Righteous1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

My better half has been taking Omega-3, 6, and 9 and Vitamin D, for awhile due to MS like symptoms, she hasn't had an "episode" for 6 months, so there's that.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post: