Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2017, 11:42 AM   #301
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Sorry, was typing that from my phone this morning and re-reading it, it doesn't make a whole bunch of sense. Basically what I was trying to say is that the left gets accused of fear mongering when bringing up the social conservative views of someone like Scheer or Harper. An easy way to fix that would be to stop nominating people with those views.
Or maybe at the same time hold the left accountable for fear based politicing.

We did it once when the Liberals got pounded for their whole hidden agenda troops on the street thing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:49 AM   #302
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

We did it once when the Liberals got pounded for their whole hidden agenda troops on the street thing.
Perhaps I've just missed them, but I havent yet seen any fear-based attacks from the Liberals or NDP against Scheer. People are criticizing him for being a social dinosaur based on his own comments, publicly-stated views, and voting record. He has no one to blame but himself for that.
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:58 PM   #303
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

How is it fear-based politicking when we're simply pointing to his voting record and saying "this is clearly what this guy believes?" As I said earlier, I don't care if he ever goes after SSM, he clearly believes that gay and transgender people do not deserve the same rights as straight people. That is a person I fundamentally disagree with and can't stomach voting for. If you can, then good for you but I personally find it inhumane.

It's also a bit silly that some on the right seem to think that SSM is the pinnacle of the gay rights movement, so as long as that remains untouched, gay people have nothing to worry about.

I think everyone has their redline on these things. If there was a candidate that hit every economic policy you liked right on the nose, but also believed that banging 8 year-olds was morally acceptable, would you feel comfortable voting for that person as long as he said he wouldn't consider lowering the age of consent? I realize it's an extreme comparison but I take inequality and discrimination pretty damn seriously.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:56 PM   #304
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:
Thumbs down

I don't think it gets enough appreciation for how screwed this country and specifically this province is with BC's populace acting like they are from some other dimension.

Even reading through the comments in this thread are a little disturbing as to how little concern there seems to be here. We have a province that is sitting around blocking energy projects and development and costing the country literally billions of dollars. They are the only access point to Asia to deliver the raw resources and material goods this country makes.

There are massive geopolitical changes happening, and Canada must be able to react. This country must pivot, and look to Asia- quickly- to open up trade and increase investment. Already, there has been a let down for Asian investment into the energy sector because our country can't get its' act together. The country, under basically a guise of confidence building and pandering to small interest groups and lobbyists, is letting these groups erode our nation's economy and ability to compete on the global stage. And everybody sits around and is cool with it because that's normally what Canadians do, ya know, not necessarily make "unpopular" decisions because it isn't what the "right" thing to do is.

BC electing in enough of the NDP and then them going and marrying up with the Greens to block stuff is an unmitigated disaster for Canada.

Troutman posted a graphic. I think he was trying to say that energy / resources is a small piece of the pie. Sorry, but that's not really true. Go take a gander at the TSX or even just have a look at the number of public companies in Canada today. The majority in one sector are in energy. It actually is a very huge and often underrated piece of the pie. When your biggest economic contributors are banks (which make money in energy, or off of the economy, and this is a resource based economy) or real estate (which make money off of basically a legalized and elaborate money laundering scheme for Asian investment, kidding, kinda)- you are in for a world of hurt. Talk about a huge, problematic, bubble for Canada right now and the Canadian middle class. There is a reason the dollar is getting decimated.

And then we have this province which holds a lot of power and sway, sitting there talking about getting their fair share and environmentalism and FN rights, and it's all BS. Let's just be honest. It's all ####ing BS. There are tankers of raw materials and goods sitting in Vancouver harbor right now, that are posing a huge environmental risk if they go down. There are other huge environmental risks this province has made. The FN bands are being paid by US special interest groups to leverage our government and delay projects so that US projects could beat us to the punch and they succeeded. What is happening today is a nightmare for Canada, and what this election in BC means for Canada has been criminally underestimated in terms of its' importance.

I don't give a rats ass about politics, or who's supporting who, or whatever the #### it all means from the various political angles. Just do what's right for Canada for the love of god. This election had real consequences for the first time in many elections across the country. For once, stop being so weak, Canada. BC people need a reality check like no other group- and I believe the only group that can make the statement are the feds. BC's jumped the shark completely, and there needs to be strong statements and heavy campaigning for the sake of the Canadian economy. This may sound chicken littleish, but good lord, working downtown in this city- this is a huge, huge, huge problem. And not many people are worried about it.

Yet.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 05-31-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 11:53 PM   #305
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^Dude, people in Vancouver and Victoria can't afford houses and the costs of living continues to skyrocket while wages have stagnated. Meanwhile, the current corrupt government is doing nothing about this because they've basically been paid off to look the other way. Let's also add in the fact that we have had nearly 500 overdose deaths so far this year. There are very real issues here that go beyond pipelines and the BC Liberals were doing dick all about them. What would you have liked us to do, suck it up for another four years?

Last edited by rubecube; 06-01-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:54 PM   #306
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^
That's not entirely politically correct dude. You need to apologize.

Edit:
Not replying to rubecube, who I have on ignore and of course is the first to ride in and comment.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:05 AM   #307
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently I'm not supposed to reply in threads anymore or something.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:12 AM   #308
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
^^

Edit:
Not replying to rubecube, who I have on ignore and of course is the first to ride in and comment.
Do you think anyone cares if you have rubie on ignore?
Old 06-01-2017, 12:14 AM   #309
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Do you think anyone cares if you have rubie on ignore?
Eh, let him have it if it makes him feel good.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 12:56 AM   #310
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Eh, let him have it if it makes him feel good.
No, because it is childish and stupid.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #311
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
^^

Edit:
Wouldn't it be funny if he had the same post as you, and yet you are ragging on him for being the first to comment?

I guess you'll never know though because you have him on ignore.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:28 AM   #312
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back to what Mr. Coffee said, yeah that was bang on.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:28 AM   #313
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
^^Dude, people in Vancouver and Victoria can't afford houses and the costs of living continues to skyrocket while wages have stagnated. Meanwhile, the current corrupt government is doing nothing about this because they've basically been paid off to look the other way. Let's also add in the fact that we have had nearly 500 overdose deaths so far this year. There are very real issues here that go beyond pipelines and the BC Liberals were doing dick all about them. What would you have liked us to do, suck it up for another four years?
If only there was an industry pays extremely high wages to young millennials that would allow them to afford that cost of living...
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 07:53 AM   #314
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a defining moment for Notley and Trudeau.

Notley has had some good words, but she'll need to back it up with additional pressure. Ditto for Trudeau.

If they somehow block this expansion, there'll be hell to pay. We might just start a civil war with the leeches out west
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:55 AM   #315
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
If they somehow block this expansion, there'll be hell to pay. We might just start a civil war with the leeches out west
Sure, this seems likely.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #316
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
This is a defining moment for Notley and Trudeau.

Notley has had some good words, but she'll need to back it up with additional pressure. Ditto for Trudeau.

This is the opportunity of a life time for Notley in terms of even getting a sniff at staying in power.

If BC successfully blocks or delays this thing then its entirely over for Notley, the other areas of stupidity and incompetence don't matter.

If she can get an agreement from BC that doesn't involve a revenue rape of Alberta then she has something that she can go to the podium with and a wave of good will, her chances are better.

For Justin, if he sits back and lets BC go through the machinations of blocking this, and leaves it to the courts or the "people" he has a chance to gain back his left sitting environmentalist movement votes.

If he stomps on BC and comes out in what appears to be supporting the evil Alberta empire, he'll lose a ton of leftish siting votes and environmentalist votes and he could be looking at a minority government in the next election at best.

If BC blocks the pipeline of delays it look for a wave of absolute anger from Alberta and to an degree Sask towards BC.

Look for Alberta to devolve back to the "seat at the table talk" of the late 70's and early 80's.

I just don't see how we don't see two fold pressure to kill this project.

1) The BC government, the coalition of the Greens and the NDP have already basically fired the first shots in this. There's no doubt in my mind that they will file in court to at least stop this project until more (years worth) of consultations can happen.

2) If that's denied, we will see civil disobedience as protestors slow down or actively sabotage the construction.

Personally I expect to see a trade war between Alberta and BC. I also expect to see a lot of lawsuits as BC tries to stop this, and Alberta sues BC for breaches in constitutional law. I think we should sue for at least $500 billion dollars.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #317
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
You're talking about provincial issues, and you totally have my sympathies. However your new government is sticking their noses into something that they really don't have a say in under the constitution.

So your government should stfu about the pipelines which have been approved by the way legally and by the Federal government, and maybe focus their attentions on those very real provincial issues.

Didn't Clark negotiate a share of the revenues that come off of those pipelines, which could help with those issues?

Frankly we have similar issues in Alberta, we have Fentyl deaths and housing cost issues, and on top of it, unemployment issues and other economic issues, and frankly BC's actions are directly impacting the later two.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 08:44 AM   #318
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
If only there was an industry pays extremely high wages to young millennials that would allow them to afford that cost of living...
Or if there was only some obscure industry that could contribute money to help pay for the programs needed to address BC's social problems (drugs etc) that Rube is referring to.......
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #319
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Notley has had some good words, but she'll need to back it up with additional pressure.
... What additional pressure (beyond words)? She has no authority or levers of pressure outside Alberta besides words.

Not that it matters, the BC government doesn't have the ability to stop the project... they can make it a pain in the ass to complete but I don't think they can sign something and make it go kaput. Ultimately, I think there are too many folk with interests in making it happen for it not to. They'll rattle their sabres but ultimately they'll get a bone to throw their voters and a fall guy to blame it on for their base and it'll happen.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:54 AM   #320
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Or if there was only some obscure industry that could contribute money to help pay for the programs needed to address BC's social problems (drugs etc) that Rube is referring to.......
So you're happy and you'll go along with the pot industry which is legalized by the feds? But the pipelines which are federally mandated your province is going to argue against.

The drug problem and real estate issues, that's all something at a provincial level. Your government should be working on that instead of muddying the waters on something that they don't have control over.

If the BC government wants to basically start a trade war with Alberta, and that's what this is, then don't be surprised if Alberta finds a way to constrict the flow of goods across Alberta or makes your goods noncompetitive in Alberta.