Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2024, 03:21 PM   #21
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Exactly. Got the job done and now the Sharks can look to start trending upwards again with a quality coach.
No, you're off on your timing. There's still one more fall guy coach to go in their rebuild, and they will likely be a bottom 5 NHL team for at least two more years.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 03:27 PM   #22
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

All 3 retention slots in use for next year plus Vlassic and Couture still around. There's still plenty of pain to be endured for the Sharks. They were unfortunate to not win anything in the 15 years they were a top team. So the payback really sucks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 03:39 PM   #23
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Grier is a hell of a tank commander, but I see someone who is probably one of the most inept GM's in the league. Dumb move to fire Quinn. Dumb moves to trade Karlsson (for 1st and gave up 3rd) and Hertl (1st and a prospect) and retain on both. Team was already terrible enough with them in the lineup (last year 2 pts from worst in the league, 2nd most goals against).

Just not enough assets in return for retaining. He sought to make those trades. Just keep them....something for fans to go watch and to shelter young guys.

And the Burns trade.....jesus.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:44 PM   #24
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Mike Grier is a hell of a tank commander, but I see someone who is probably one of the most inept GM's in the league. Dumb move to fire Quinn. Dumb moves to trade Karlsson (for 1st and gave up 3rd) and Hertl (1st and a prospect) and retain on both. Team was already terrible enough with them in the lineup (last year 2 pts from worst in the league, 2nd most goals against).

Just not enough assets in return for retaining. He sought to make those trades. Just keep them....something for fans to go watch and to shelter young guys.

And the Burns trade.....jesus.
He's tanking.

Part of the value in moving Karlsson and Hertl is hurting their position in the standings to improve their own pick. If no one else was barking up the Hertl and Karlsson trees, then it is what it is. He got good assets, and held onto some salary - who cares. He isn't going to use it (the salary space), and those trades helped ensure his team get the best odds to draft 1st overall - that's effectively the most valuable asset imaginable for a team building a foundation. San Jose is in the position I hope the Flames are in 12 months from now.

He is committing to a plan, and I hope Conroy continues to do just that as well. If the return on Markstrom is less than stellar (even with retention) it is still a move that should be made because Markstrom's presence on this team is not going to help this team get better in the long run.

Last edited by ComixZone; 04-24-2024 at 03:47 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 04:13 PM   #25
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
He's tanking.

Part of the value in moving Karlsson and Hertl is hurting their position in the standings to improve their own pick. If no one else was barking up the Hertl and Karlsson trees, then it is what it is. He got good assets, and held onto some salary - who cares. He isn't going to use it (the salary space), and those trades helped ensure his team get the best odds to draft 1st overall - that's effectively the most valuable asset imaginable for a team building a foundation. San Jose is in the position I hope the Flames are in 12 months from now.
That's my point. Look at the Sharks' numbers last year. Their position already sucked. Brutal goaltending and defense did the job.

What are the good assets he got for trading a norris trophy winner, Burns and Hertl including retention for many years?

He retained $2.7mm on Burns alone for three years and got back a 3rd round pick. Guy has +100 points over the 2 seasons in Carolina. And when you look up what SJ got, remember to offset by the three 3rd round picks that had to get rid of to make these trades happen.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:15 PM   #26
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This'll get 'em on track lol

I almost feel bad for Sharks fans, pain like this comes from having such a good team for so, so long, but they didn't even get a cup out of all those years of contention, and only one finals appearance too.

I stress almost feel bad though, I am a Flames fan after all.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 05:43 PM   #27
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Exactly. Got the job done and now the Sharks can look to start trending upwards again with a quality coach.
I don’t think any coach is trending that pile of garbage upwards.

Grier will be next. The sharks are an AHL team.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 05:44 PM   #28
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
This'll get 'em on track lol

I almost feel bad for Sharks fans, pain like this comes from having such a good team for so, so long, but they didn't even get a cup out of all those years of contention, and only one finals appearance too.

I stress almost feel bad though, I am a Flames fan after all.
They didn’t cycle in new players each year and ran into a wall. I think Pittsburgh will have the same problem soon.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote