Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #321
Flamesoholic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I bought my own with the chest strap, its just more accurate.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get yours? Canadian Tire has some that look neat (I believe someone else in this thread mentioned one from there) but I'm not sure what kind of things to look for in a good, easy to use heart monitor.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #322
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Sportscheck or whatever its called at Southcenter

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #323
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesoholic View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get yours? Canadian Tire has some that look neat (I believe someone else in this thread mentioned one from there) but I'm not sure what kind of things to look for in a good, easy to use heart monitor.
I got mine from Canadian Tire. It is a Polar FT1, which is basically their entry level model. It has a chest strap and a watch. The watch shows you your readings. Why I like it is because it continually monitors my heart rate. You have the option to turn beeps on or off. If they are on the watch will beep slowly if you are below the lower point of your optimal fat burning zone and it will beep rapidly if you go over the max point. After the workout it will tell you your results for your last working. It will tell you the date you worked out, the length of your workout, the average heart rate and your max heart rate. It does the basics that you need. Take a look at other models to see if there are other features that appeal to you.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #324
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I bought my own with the chest strap, its just more accurate.
The monitor sold on DDPYoga.com has a chest strap, but I hear a lot of people have problems with it, from it just konks out, to it doesn't always give accurate readings.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #325
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last night I did Diamond Cutter. It was the worst workout of my life. My mind and heart was not into working out and I half-assed it. My average hr was well below my minimum range. I couldn't even engage to my fullest even when I was trying to. I just didn't have it. I hope to bounce back hard tonight.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #326
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It happens, sometimes you go through the motions a bit. Its how you get back on that mat that matters.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #327
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just some more updates...

Did Fat Burner and Energy the last two days. Find them both fairly similar, but it is nice to have two options that I feel fairly comfortable with. I did Red Hot Core after Energy today and I found it much more difficult than when I previously tried. I did try to do more of the difficult modifications, so that may have been the difference. I also felt like my lower back was a little bit tender this week due to sitting at work and class a bunch of days, so that probably didn't help either.

Also, really happy with the recipes in the program guide. We have done the chicken thighs a couple of times and I can't believe how good they are. Pretty sure I will be buying the warehouse packs of boneless skinless thighs and just do them up all at once and eat them for a bunch of meals. Spaghetti squash has also been treating us well recently.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #328
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I need to adjust my diet. I eat to manage my diabetes but I think I can do more to maximize my DDP Yoga workouts. Burning fat from my chest and abs is going slower than I would like. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos from a lot of fitness freaks and getting ideas and basically DDP Yoga is still perfect for me but my diet still isn't the greatest.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #329
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I think I need to adjust my diet. I eat to manage my diabetes but I think I can do more to maximize my DDP Yoga workouts. Burning fat from my chest and abs is going slower than I would like. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos from a lot of fitness freaks and getting ideas and basically DDP Yoga is still perfect for me but my diet still isn't the greatest.
Maybe talk to us about your diet and we can get some ideas going. I think diet conversation is pretty huge. This is a great place to spitball.

I've found that my died and DDP doesn't have super high speed results. I'm down 31 pounds. I've lost 6 inches off of my waist. I know I have way better definition in my arms and chest and my legs have certianly shrunk.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #330
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe talk to us about your diet and we can get some ideas going. I think diet conversation is pretty huge. This is a great place to spitball.

I've found that my died and DDP doesn't have super high speed results. I'm down 31 pounds. I've lost 6 inches off of my waist. I know I have way better definition in my arms and chest and my legs have certianly shrunk.
I just don't have control... a big part of the reason why I have diabetes. I am supposed to limit myself to 8 or 9 servings of carbs per day, but I think I push 10 or 11. So my caloric intake is probably a bit high and I haven't paid close attention to how much fats and sodium I'm consuming either.

I'm going on a rough generalization of how much carbs I've consumed and trying to match that with protiens and exceed that with fibre. I do enough to control my blood sugar but not enough to see the benefits of my workouts as quickly as I think I should.

I just need control and better planning.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #331
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I just don't have control... a big part of the reason why I have diabetes. I am supposed to limit myself to 8 or 9 servings of carbs per day, but I think I push 10 or 11. So my caloric intake is probably a bit high and I haven't paid close attention to how much fats and sodium I'm consuming either.

I'm going on a rough generalization of how much carbs I've consumed and trying to match that with protiens and exceed that with fibre. I do enough to control my blood sugar but not enough to see the benefits of my workouts as quickly as I think I should.

I just need control and better planning.
I really hacked back on my fats and calories, and went with a lot more simpler foods to help me control my eating.

I'm never really starving at all, its not the best tasting diet in the world.

I think besides giving up pop, giving up breads had a massive effect on what's happening with me. I'm still not like svelte, but I've come a long ways down because of those things.

Anything that sweet outside of fruits that I stop eating after 10 in the morning is gone.

One of the biggest things was giving up coffee because coffee encourages appetite.

I do eat lots of brown rice, and lots of pure white meats. I don't cook veggies anymore, I just nom them raw.

I will admit that I do drink a small glass of fruit juice a day.

But a ton of water.

The control thing is huge, when I started this diet up, I was starving all the time, and I went through a two week period of feeling absolutely gross.

I will allow myself a cheat meal once every couple of weeks. That gets me through things.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #332
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been using myfitnesspal to keep track of all my calories. I've been keeping it under 1200 calories a day, yet I haven't lost anything (ending my fifth week of ddp yoga)... I have a bloodtest on Monday because I think my thyroid is completely out of whack.

That said, I still recommend myfitnesspal, it's completely free and has a fairly large database of foods. It also breaks down the percentage of fats/protein/carbs you're taking in. I mostly use the app, but you can sign up here and it all syncs together.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #333
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talk to a diabetes nurse and a dietician if you are concerned about your diet. It may cost a bit out of pocket to talk to a dietician but it is a much better alternative than taking advice off the internet (sorry Captain, no offense is meant by this). It is pretty easy for people with diabetes to starve themselves into a hypoglycemic state by ignoring sugars altogether.

That being said exercising is one of the best things that someone can do to help manage their diabetes, so good for you.

Actually the one really good thing about yoga that never gets recognized with regards to diabetes is that as it isn't impact there isn't as much damage to the feet and less chance of a foot injury.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #334
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Talk to a diabetes nurse and a dietician if you are concerned about your diet. It may cost a bit out of pocket to talk to a dietician but it is a much better alternative than taking advice off the internet (sorry Captain, no offense is meant by this). It is pretty easy for people with diabetes to starve themselves into a hypoglycemic state by ignoring sugars altogether.

That being said exercising is one of the best things that someone can do to help manage their diabetes, so good for you.

Actually the one really good thing about yoga that never gets recognized with regards to diabetes is that as it isn't impact there isn't as much damage to the feet and less chance of a foot injury.
In terms of managing my diabetes I am doing a great job. My glucose levels are constantly in the range of 4.5 and 6.5. Because I can do such a good job at that I'll treat myself to bad foods that slow down my fat burning. It is rare for my glucose to go above 7 and I've never had to worry about it going too low. I don't need insulin just pills, diet and exercise.

I'll find myself buying a bag of chips at work because my sugars were good so I can treat myself to a bad carb item, or having a bowl of ice cream after supper because I know it won't affect my sugar too much. If I'm not careful I will spike too high.

I think I lived with it for a few years before diagnosis because I have the onset of nerve damage in my feet, so DDP Yoga has been awesome for me for that. I can still play ball hockey without negative affect on my feet, its my bad knees that suffer from running on the gym floor. Ice hockey is much better than ball hockey.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:02 AM   #335
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had my first hockey game of the season tonight. I felt great! My conditioning felt better and my balance felt better too. I'm not a great skater to begin with but I felt better balance. I had to force myself to go for a line change so I wouldn't tick anybody off for taking long shifts. I didn't once feel like I was too tired to go on or that my legs were burning and unable to go on another rush. This is all thanks to working out with strictly DDP Yoga for the last 6 weeks, and the 3 months before that I did DDP Yoga and ball hockey. Man, that felt good. BANG!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #336
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I finally got my DVDs on Wednesday, and I did Fat Burner yesterday. Didn't think much of it at the time, but a few hours later my legs were shaking and I am really sore today.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #337
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was pretty slack last week due to it being an incredibly busy week and weekend. I only got to it once.

But I started up again on Monday and then did the next three days alternating Energy and fat burner and throwing in core after energy.

Its amazing how quickly your body forgets torture.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #338
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

How long did it take for you guys to receive your packs? Mine was ordered September 6, shipped September 9, and the only update I have on the tracking is it cleared customs on September 20th.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #339
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It took nearly a month to get it.

Don't expect too much from the packaging

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #340
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
I've been using myfitnesspal to keep track of all my calories. I've been keeping it under 1200 calories a day, yet I haven't lost anything (ending my fifth week of ddp yoga)... I have a bloodtest on Monday because I think my thyroid is completely out of whack.

That said, I still recommend myfitnesspal, it's completely free and has a fairly large database of foods. It also breaks down the percentage of fats/protein/carbs you're taking in. I mostly use the app, but you can sign up here and it all syncs together.
Being under 1200 calories is likely too low in the first place. It can make the body actually store fat (well depending on what study you want to look at). People can often kick start weight loss by bringing the calories up.

More importantly....how has your body changed? Don't look just at the scale. This is a program that will build muscle which for the same volume is heavier than fat. Also keep in mind that you really don't want to be much more than 2-3 pounds a week in weight loss so at this point anything around 10 pounds would be extremely good (this is outside of an potential immediate huge drop the first 4 or 5 days when you change your diet which tends to reduce sodium and reduces water retention...it's not "real" weight loss).

Last edited by ernie; 09-30-2013 at 01:10 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bang! , ddpyoga , guys do yoga too , not your mama's yoga , yrg