Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #21
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
With the curved screen and finger print reader and junk on that back, doesn't that make it difficult to design cases for these phones?
OtterBox already has cases for these devices.

VRS Design and few other will be shipping out this week.
(I work in the industry)
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #22
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Thanks for these. Interesting you think the + is too wide and long. It is slightly narrower than the xl. I personally like a wider phone as I like the landscape view for photos and such. I've always found those narrower screen constricting for some reason.
I don't think it's too wide, just the fit of the regular GS8 in my hands felt so nice. Add on a case and it'll be perfect.

Check out this site: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=8345

You can compare dimensions of other devices.

The GS8 has 5.8" screen (83.6% screen screen-to-body ratio), yet has a smaller physical body compared to the Pixel XL (5.5").

I also have a GS7 edge, and the screen size is larger on the GS8, again because the curved edges. The GS8 dimensions are also smaller than the GS7 edge.

GS7 edge: 150.9 x 72.6 x 7.7mm
GS8: 148.9 x 68.1 x 8.0mm

Amazing.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #23
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

An interesting article about the new Samsung screen sizes.

The Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus has a big problem: the Samsung Galaxy S8: http://www.techradar.com/news/the-sa...sung-galaxy-s8
Old 04-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #24
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It does seem odd to place the fingerprint reader directly next to the one thing you don't want fingerprints on...the camera.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:02 AM   #25
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It does seem odd to place the fingerprint reader directly next to the one thing you don't want fingerprints on...the camera.
I forget which one of the myriad of articles/videos I've been obsessing over but one of them stated a rumour Samsung was originally trying to get the print scanner integrated into the home button area. It just didn't pan out and they went with plan B, tossing it on the back. I assume there was no easy way to rearrange electronics and pop it under the camera like nearly everyone else on the planet. I think if I get one I'd use face recognition the most. It seems pretty instantaneous from all reviews I've seen.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #26
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Looks nice. Still love my S7, though, so no need to upgrade. I'm hoping somebody eventually turns one of these flagship phones into a clamshell flip.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #27
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have the S7 edge and two Samsung tvs at home. I have major issues with the Smartview Screen Mirroring (or Airplay for you iphone folks) capabilities as it just doesn't work. Maybe it's something on my end but I can access the tvs from my phone in the smartview app, but can't in the quick toolbar menu. That means I can't play the sportsnet or tsn app and push it to the tv. Annoying as hell
kobasew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:07 AM   #28
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm going to do the pre-order for the S8 today. If you pre-order before Apr 11, you get a Gear VR headset and controller for free.
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #29
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobasew19 View Post
That means I can't play the sportsnet or tsn app and push it to the tv. Annoying as hell
I think that's a function of those respective apps. I have an iPhone and can push anything to my Samsung TV except Sportsnet and TSN.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:50 PM   #30
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDJZak View Post
Here's a side-by-side of the GS8 with my Pixel XL

As you can see there's a lot more screen in a more compact design.
If the S8 was in your left hand, and the Pixel was in your right, how did you take the photo!!?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 07:48 AM   #31
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
If the S8 was in your left hand, and the Pixel was in your right, how did you take the photo!!?
The Best Buy rep took it for me.
Gave him a shoutout on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BSWtSSVgjTX/
Old 04-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #32
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the look of the S8. Has me looking forward to the Note8, which I will very likely pick up. Also, for those who complain about Samsung doubling up on the apps and services that Google already offers, keep in mind that the entire Chinese market is not able to use Google services.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #33
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I want the VR controller for my s7
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:13 PM   #34
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
I want the VR controller for my s7
I might have one to sell you. I've used it twice. I'll let you know if I post in the Buy/Sell section.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #35
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Also, for those who complain about Samsung doubling up on the apps and services that Google already offers, keep in mind that the entire Chinese market is not able to use Google services.
Bull. Then why can't I uninstall all of the crap if I don't want to use it? Because Samsung is trying to force me into their garbage, half-baked ecosystem.

I wish Samsung would just focus on hardware, as they do a fantastic job of it.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 03:40 AM   #36
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Bull. Then why can't I uninstall all of the crap if I don't want to use it? Because Samsung is trying to force me into their garbage, half-baked ecosystem.

I wish Samsung would just focus on hardware, as they do a fantastic job of it.
Well, I guess I always find it easy to avoid using the things I don't want from them, but I'm glad of some things I can use which don't depend on Google. Having some Samsung apps is better than having none and only non-functional Google apps.

I'm sure they are also trying to lead people to use their apps instead of Google's, but it's not like they stop you from using Google apps and services.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #37
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Well, I guess I always find it easy to avoid using the things I don't want from them, but I'm glad of some things I can use which don't depend on Google. Having some Samsung apps is better than having none and only non-functional Google apps.

I'm sure they are also trying to lead people to use their apps instead of Google's, but it's not like they stop you from using Google apps and services.

The problem with the apps are that even if you don't use them they are still running. Samsung runs a lot of syncing and push apps that constantly reach out to servers so they keep your phone active. Same for Google but now you have two sets of apps doing that.

Only way to stop or get rid of system apps is to root.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #38
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

I pre-ordered one, but only because I can't stop breaking these since the original edge was released. The glass back easily shatters falling from a sitting waist high position, while the front "gorilla" glass screen is only a little bit stronger.

Love the phone though, so its just become part of the yearly budget.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #39
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
The problem with the apps are that even if you don't use them they are still running. Samsung runs a lot of syncing and push apps that constantly reach out to servers so they keep your phone active. Same for Google but now you have two sets of apps doing that.

Only way to stop or get rid of system apps is to root.
Well, with that I totally agree. Ideally I would like to be able to uninstall anything I don't want on my phone without having to root and it annoys me when any company tries to control and limit what you can do with your device. It's the reason I dislike Apple so much.

In China though, there are so many more controls that are put into phones that I either buy an overseas phone not connected to any service provider or I have my phone rooted at the time I buy it. Samsung's apps are such a relatively minor annoyance that I don't mind dealing with them, especially since they do bring benefits in a non-Google location.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #40
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Got the notification that I can pickup my GS8 from the Bell dealer I ordered from on Monday April 17th.

Apparently they've had stock since Tuesday. But they can't sell or activate until Monday, otherwise Samsung/Bell will brick the devices.

...patiently waiting...