Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #241
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

At the end of the day.

The last time there was an animal slaughter it was I think Michael in Australia who killed that pig. There was all kinds of lashback against the show.

I don't believe that the show would let the players get into a life threatening situation in terms of food, or lack of food. The hunger that Sandra was feeling wasn't "HUNGER".

At the end of the day, I'm sure that the game won't let them starve, I still remember Jeff forcing a tribe to give up tarps for food. But I'm sure that there are doctors checking up on these guys every day and checking their diets to make sure that they're getting what they need.

When you talk about the weight loss that these people suffer on the Island, when you take away a mans cheeseburger and 4500 calorie a day diet and replace it with a 1800 calorie a day diet for example, and take that same guy that goes to the gym three days a week and does a bike or treadmill and put him into a all body competition and they're going to melt.

But they won't let him starve.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #242
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Q&As with Probst:

If someone was literally starving to death, would producers step in?
Yes, according to the contract, which states that, “Contestant groups may, but will not necessarily, be supplied with a nutritional allowance as determined by Producer’s medical personnel.”
However, the contract also makes it clear that you’ll probably lose a “significant amount of weight” if you go on this show. Still, it’s hard to watch someone literally starve.
During a speech at Northwestern University in February 2012, Season 18 contestant Erinn Lobdell recalled how, during a night on Exile Island, a sound man felt so bad for her that he slipped her a piece of butterscotch candy before leaving her on the island, even though he wasn’t supposed to.

Why don’t contestants hunt the wildlife that hangs around their campsite? If they’re hungry enough, wouldn’t they be willing to eat anything?
The contestants are not allowed to hunt or use certain things. In fact, they are expressly forbidden from doing so, per their contract.
“Only flora or fauna [fancy names for plants and animals, respectively] designated by Producer may be harvested or hunted for food, respectively,” the contract states. “Rare or endangered species will be identified by Producer…and must not be harmed or killed by Contestants.”
In fact, killing one of these animals could result in the contestant not only getting kicked off the show, but also facing criminal or civil prosecution.
Fear not, little endangered monkeys! CBS has your back!

Do the contestants have access to anything else that we don’t see on camera?
Yes. According to Jeff Probst, the women receive tampons, and all of the contestants have access to condoms in case they want to get hot-and-heavy in the hut during filming. In addition, according to the article, they are given vital medications, contact lens solution, sunscreen, and insect repellent.

Can Survivor cast members bring or wear whatever they want?

No. While cast members bring their own clothes to the location, producers select what they take to camp, ensuring that the cast will be wearing camera-friendly colors. Among those prohibited items include shirts or caps with corporate logos. Selecting clothing also allows producers to make sure not everyone will be wearing, say, green T-shirts. They're also searched to ensure that cast members are not smuggling food, matches, or other items to camp with them or in their belongings.

How do contestants get treated for injuries?

On-location producers will mention any concerns to the medical staff, and can call for medics if there's a significant problem. Before and after every challenge, contestants visit individually with the show's medics. But as medic Craig "Squizzy" Taylor told me, "During the game, though, they're playing the game of Survivor for $1 million. So, we try to have as little to do with them as possible." He said that minor injuries are "part of the game." While a few major injuries forced people out of the game last season, nearly all of the (mostly minor) injuries or illnesses treated by medics affect the show's hundreds of crew members, who, of course, greatly outnumber the 18 contestants.

How do contestants get from tribe camps to challenges and Tribal Council?

Although they are often shown setting off with packs and walking sticks, making it seem as if they traversed miles on foot, those images only show the first or last part of the trip. They're transported. In Gabon, they were driven in vehicles with black plastic covering the windows. That prevents contestants from seeing where they are, and from seeing parts of the production such as base camp. After arriving, they're kept in a waiting area until Jeff Probst calls them in to the challenge, which is what we see on TV. They are not allowed to talk to one another until cameras are rolling either at the challenges or back at camp, ensuring that viewers won't ever miss a critical moment.

Do the contestants get more information than we see on TV about challenges?

Yes. After host Jeff Probst gives the explanation we see on TV, Probst and John Kirhoffer, the leader of the team that constructs all of the show's games, walk through the challenge with each tribe. The tribes can ask questions or strategize during that time, and doing it separately keeps the other tribe from knowing the others' strategy, if they have one. Accompanying them is someone from CBS' standards and practices division, who makes sure that each tribe has the same basic information so that the contest remains fair.

Who demonstrates (and tests) challenges?

The Dream Team, a group of young crew members, many of whom return for future seasons to work with the show in other production jobs. They run through challenges at least twice, including once with the challenge production team to see how it works, and once for a dress rehearsal, when they're filmed as if they were the actual contestants. That gives the crew the chance to practice filming, so they know where they'll need to be or where they can get their best shots. Footage from that dress rehearsal is shown to viewers when Jeff Probst explains the challenge to the cast. Helicopter shots of challenge locations are filmed separately, so that the production part — equipment like cameras and cranes, never mind more than 50 crew members — won't be seen on TV.
The show also occasionally uses the Dream Team as stand-ins in its faraway helicopter shots. If you think about it, that makes sense, since when you see a challenge from above, for example, no cameras or crew are visible, so who is it that's providing all of the footage of the cast running the challenge? In most cases, but not all, shots from a helicopter are filmed afterwards, after the competition is over and the crew has left with their equipment.
That doesn't affect the game in any way, just how it looks on television.

How long does Tribal Council last?

It varies, from 45 minutes to 90 minutes, but it's a lot longer than what we see on TV. However, give thanks that it's edited, since much of the conversation is also kind of boring.
What does Jeff Probst do when he goes to "tally the votes"?

After actually collecting the votes, Jeff consults with producers, who have been watching the voting confessional footage live in a production booth far away from Tribal Council. Based upon what they've seen and the actual outcome of the vote, they decide the order in which Jeff will read the votes aloud, organizing them for maximum drama and selecting which contestants' votes will be shown on TV. That's why the votes Jeff reveals first are the ones viewers have already seen.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #243
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

When you talk about the weight loss that these people suffer on the Island, when you take away a mans cheeseburger and 4500 calorie a day diet and replace it with a 1800 calorie a day diet for example, and take that same guy that goes to the gym three days a week and does a bike or treadmill and put him into a all body competition and they're going to melt.

But they won't let him starve.
In what world are they consuming 1800 calories a day on days where there isn't a reward or anything.

A couple scoops of rice and some coconut or bananas isn't anywhere near that.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #244
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

WOW what a tribal...do not miss!
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #245
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

WTF just happened? I mean I know WTF but how the eff? Also... Boo!
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:06 PM   #246
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
In what world are they consuming 1800 calories a day on days where there isn't a reward or anything.

A couple scoops of rice and some coconut or bananas isn't anywhere near that.
Yeah, I was pretty much guessing on that one.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:09 PM   #247
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

#WOW. That was awesome but a little disappointing too.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #248
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

WOW is right. That sucked!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:36 PM   #249
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That was must see TV.

But while they hurt that tribe, they really could have gutted it.

I won't post anything else til after spoiler period, but this one is going to be a conversation piece for a long time.

Survivor keeps going because they're not afraid to mix the game up every year. Even Probst didn't know what was happening.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #250
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I won't post anything else til after spoiler period, but this one is going to be a conversation piece for a long time.
There's no spoiler period for the thread. As soon as the first person sees it, they can talk about here, which is why I always recommend that if someone hasn't seen it and wants to avoid "up to the minute" spoilers, to avoid this thread until they are ready.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:02 PM   #251
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wellll ####. I was hoping he would fly under the radar longer. JT really did him in.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:07 PM   #252
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

They really hauled ass to that vote, then lots more of them had to haul ass haul ass to whisper.

After he got voted out Malcolm decided to haul ass out of there

So to sum up

Haul ass
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 09:10 PM   #253
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel bad for him but that was a great tribal

They will be doing that again very soon, I don't get what JT was doing, he should have made it clear to brad he was with Malcolm and to vote sandra
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #254
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's what I thought should have happened. For all of his machinations, JT really screwed himself, there's no way he will survive to a merge.

I don't get why they didn't axe Sandra. Well I do get it, poor Malcolm is a challenge machine especially later in games. But I felt sorry for the kid.

I'm really liking Hali. she just fights really hard and I respect that.

Sandra is annoying to me, I would have voted her out just to see her supreme arrogance explode. She's just really unlikable, but she's got a great course to the end because nobody will vote to give her the money at this point.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 09:35 PM   #255
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Awesome tribal! Thought for sure Sandra was gone, pretty shocked who they voted out, he was pretty choked up. And what's with the preview for next week, is Debbie losing her mind? Pretty great start to the season.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:04 PM   #256
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, that was really something else! I have no idea where Malcom came from, I thought that Sandra's days were numbered there, especially with the right choice for an idol.

What a great season!

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 03-23-2017 at 01:38 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:12 PM   #257
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With Sandra sitting there guaranteeing she wasn't going home, I thought for sure she was going.

J.T. Really screwed that up, he's done for.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 PM   #258
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

one of the best episodes ever - even though it ended up being Malcolm.

I don't think JT anticipated Malcolm going, he wanted it to be Sandra.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:20 PM   #259
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I feel bad for him but that was a great tribal

They will be doing that again very soon, I don't get what JT was doing, he should have made it clear to brad he was with Malcolm and to vote sandra
I think JT did make it clear, and that's why Brad got rid of Malcolm. The same way he got rid of Caleb so Tai was more dependent on Brad. Brad can't stand 'his' people having other loyalties. Brad really screwed JT though.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #260
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, that's going to have some big repercussions going forward. I am bummed that Malcolm is gone, but it was a really entertaining episode.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote