Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #4441
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for all the feedback.

I have been out of it for so long that everything will be new for me, so I am not sure exclusives are going to sell it for me. I was looking at the titles and I don't know half of them for either system. I am not really into shooters. More into sports games, RTS and RPGs.... is either system more specialized in that respect?

Most of my friends are casual gamers and live in different time zones, so connecting online probably won't matter either. For entertainment purposes, we will use the BR/DVD player a lot, but we already have an Android box for TV shows.

My wife wants the Kinect thing. Does PS4 have anything like that?
Old 12-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #4442
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS4 does have a camera that is supposed to be similar to Kinect, I'm not sure how well it works though.

It sounds like PS4 might be your preferred route. When it comes to exclusives, Xbox is generally more shooters, while PS4 will have more RPGs. And the only MLB game is a PS4 exclusive, if you're into baseball.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #4443
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Playstation has a camera that next to no developers even use. Then again, with Kinect not bundled in by default, less developers use that too. Both are gimmicks, and with VR rising, I expect that will become more of a focus instead
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #4444
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if the Playstation VR will be bundled with a camera (I assume so? Maybe move controllers too? Or just optional?) but it's fairly integral to it. I guess if you are every going to get into VR, the PS4 is a nice stepping stone to it.

The incremental cost if you have a PS4 already would be less than if you're going to Vive or Oculus. Unless of course you already have a high end rig that you can move to a room where you plan to run it. I'm probably going to get all 3 VR systems myself (which means I need a new $2-3k computer early next year).
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #4445
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

If memory serves me correctly, when they first announced VR, Sony said there's be 2 versions at launch depending on if you needed the camera bundled in or not. Most currently just buy it to put their faces on their twitch stream, which is important for a reason old people like me don't understand.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #4446
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
If memory serves me correctly, when they first announced VR, Sony said there's be 2 versions at launch depending on if you needed the camera bundled in or not. Most currently just buy it to put their faces on their twitch stream, which is important for a reason old people like me don't understand.
I know right? I'm only 26 and I don't get that at all. The worst is trying to look up gameplay footage on Youtube that doesn't feature some obnoxious talking head in the corner trying to be funny.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #4447
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
I am debating getting the Playstation Gold headset, but the Kingston HyperX Cloud also looks good.
Thesource.ca is showing the Gold headset for $80. Their in store stock check seems to be down but maybe something to look into.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #4448
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The only thing that bothers me is that Sony fans change the goalposts depending on the question. If someone asks what console they get and they just want a gaming console the Sony boys trot out answer A. If someone asks what console to get and they want a media but you get answer B. Yes the PS4 can be used as a media device but it's outclassed here at least by the Xbox One.
All I was saying for most people you can get any media usage you need while having the superior gaming hardware.

If HDMI in is worth lesser hardware that is the users choice but every time someone mentions media Xbone must be the console of choice, not really accurate.

as far as fanboys go if I am one you certainly are...I own all consoles I just think the PS4 is better. Many must agree considering 2:1 sales

The guy wants to play Blurays and dvds...both systems do that, If he said he wanted to run his cable box through his gaming console that would be another story

Last edited by dino7c; 12-23-2015 at 03:21 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #4449
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

I have been out of it for so long that everything will be new for me, so I am not sure exclusives are going to sell it for me. I was looking at the titles and I don't know half of them for either system. I am not really into shooters. More into sports games, RTS and RPGs.... is either system more specialized in that respect?

Most of my friends are casual gamers and live in different time zones, so connecting online probably won't matter either. For entertainment purposes, we will use the BR/DVD player a lot, but we already have an Android box for TV shows.

There is next to no software being made that supports the Kinect or the PS4 camera...the motion gimmick thing has kinda died
Old 12-23-2015, 10:10 PM   #4450
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
More into sports games, RTS and RPGs.... is either system more specialized in that respect?
A bit behind but the PS4 is getting a ton more RPG's than the Xbone. It also seems like Atlus, NISA, Iffy, etc. are all bringing over a lot of Japanese RPG's as well with the PS4 install base growing so quickly.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:43 PM   #4451
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Got a surface on black friday and im just trying the streaming for fallout 4 and now thief its pretty good quality and picture
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #4452
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:
Default XBone Vs PS4 Vs PC - VIDEOGAME POLITICS THUNDERDOME - PS4:900p-XBone:720p-PC:...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
There is next to no software being made that supports the Kinect or the PS4 camera...the motion gimmick thing has kinda died

PS4's VR device will be out in 2016 and it fully utilizes both the PS Camera and the PS Move controllers. It's expected to be sold separately and as a bundle, for those that don't have the peripherals.

Anyone I've seen that has actually tried it has come away saying it's a game-changing experience.

It won't be cheap though, Sony has stated that it's being manufactured as a standalone console that you can connect to the PS4. I'm expecting it to be at least 299, probably 399 for the bundle.

Just a guess, though.

Last edited by StrykerSteve; 12-26-2015 at 08:36 AM.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #4453
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
It won't be cheap though, Sony has stated that it's being manufactured as a standalone console that you can connect to the PS4.

Not gonna lie, I wanted the Sega CD and 32X pretty badly when I had my Genesis.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2015, 09:04 AM   #4454
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I know right? I'm only 26 and I don't get that at all. The worst is trying to look up gameplay footage on Youtube that doesn't feature some obnoxious talking head in the corner trying to be funny.
I've actually debated starting a twitch channel and marketing myself as a guy who you'll never see or hear. I'd be a sensation.

As for Playstation VR, it's almost worth it's own thread. I've already bought in (well... mentally). I was already mostly on board, but lately I've been listening to a lot of the PS I Love You XOXO podcast with Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty. If you're unfamiliar, it's the two guys who used to run the Beyond podcast on IGN. I love them both, but Colin can be a bit of a persnickety grump about things, so while I find him entertaining, i take what he says with a grain of salt. After trying it a few times he has developed a very bullish opinion on how great VR is, which in my opinion carries a ton of weight as he strikes me as a hard-to-please purist.

I tried an oculus once and admittedly did want to hurl, but it was running on a slow PC so there was juuuust enough lag to make you sick. The feeling was still there and the potential was obvious imo.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:48 PM   #4455
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Not gonna lie, I wanted the Sega CD and 32X pretty badly when I had my Genesis.
Sega CD has some great games despite what you have heard...Snatcher is one of the greatest games I have ever played
Old 12-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #4456
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The PS4 is the better choice, full-stop. Better games, better controller, infinitely better UI, better hardware.

I've got both and barely turn on my One, while the PS4 is on every day.
allow me to edit: better games for you, better controller for you, better UI for you, better hardware for you. literally, you turn one on every day and the other barely, making one better for you.

xbox one has better online for me, better controller for me, don't care about UI particularly, better hardware for me. I like EA Access ALOT for me, and all of the changes that Microsoft have done in the past 2 years especially 360 compatibility for me.

I have become a Sony fanboy on many things over the last few years, especially the TVs and even receivers, however for me, Xbox One is superior for what I do. that doesn't make it the best "full stop", it makes it the right fit for me.

i recognize completely that the sales of PS4 will likely not be caught, and that the revenue is propping up other parts of Sony including the aforementioned TVs and Receivers and R&D. i regularly consider if i should buy a PSNow membership since it is built into the TVs, but i likely never will.

As a gaming community, we really need to get away from sweeping statements that one platform is infinitely better than the other, and recognize that there are advantages to each platform and that people have different needs for their best fit.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2015, 07:26 PM   #4457
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I have been disappointed with the new Kinect; sure, talking to your TV and having it do stuff is really cool, but there are so few games out there, that i cannot recommend that you buy xbox or either device really for the motion controls.

EA Access has been a great deal for me; for $30 a year, you get the ability to download and play all of the games in the vault, unlimited. when the next iteration of fifa or madden or nhl or whatever comes out, just delete the old one and get the new one. the 10 hours of free, full demo has been great too as i have gone deep into a few games before deciding to purchase or not. Snapping TV (watching TV and playing games at the same time) is awesome for me as well.

i would definitely see what your friends are playing, and see if you can get a demo from them that would allow you time to look into the advantages of each console for your situation.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:35 PM   #4458
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
allow me to edit: better games for you, better controller for you, better UI for you, better hardware for you. literally, you turn one on every day and the other barely, making one better for you.

xbox one has better online for me, better controller for me, don't care about UI particularly, better hardware for me. I like EA Access ALOT for me, and all of the changes that Microsoft have done in the past 2 years especially 360 compatibility for me.

I have become a Sony fanboy on many things over the last few years, especially the TVs and even receivers, however for me, Xbox One is superior for what I do. that doesn't make it the best "full stop", it makes it the right fit for me.

i recognize completely that the sales of PS4 will likely not be caught, and that the revenue is propping up other parts of Sony including the aforementioned TVs and Receivers and R&D. i regularly consider if i should buy a PSNow membership since it is built into the TVs, but i likely never will.

As a gaming community, we really need to get away from sweeping statements that one platform is infinitely better than the other, and recognize that there are advantages to each platform and that people have different needs for their best fit.
Do you have a PS4?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:57 AM   #4459
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have a PS4?
I do and I agree with him. I have both and really the differences are so minor it's like comparing a Ferrari and Lamborghini as while one may do 0-60 mph a few tenths of a second faster than the other it comes down to personal preference more than anything quantifiable. I mean come on, you say the PS4 has a better controller despite it having the worst battery life of any wireless controller to date and the fact that many, many people prefer the design of the Xbox controllers over the antiquated dual shock design.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 12-31-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:49 AM   #4460
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I also have both and agree that there isn't a whole bunch to separate them, so picking a clear-cut winner is a bit of a foolish exercise. I've been playing multiplats on PS4 mainly because I do favour the higher resolutions, and everything seems to work fairly well on the system. However, One's UI is pretty solid and I still slightly prefer the feel of Microsoft's controller. I have the PS4 in a den where I do my reclusive gaming, and the One in the living room hooked up to the cable box and whatnot, so try to enjoy the best of both worlds.

As has been repeated, the determining factors are in the small details, rather than any major characteristics of the systems themselves. Exclusives, friends, controller, brand loyalty, etc.