Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:
Default Arcades in Calgary?

Now that the University has pretty much shut down their arcade are there any real arcades left in Calgary? (The airport doesn't count).
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Boy I don't know - I wish I knew some spots too. Honestly the airport (I know you said it doesn't count) is the only place I know that has a few games and some pin.

Cinescape - dead
Southern Fun - dead
U of C - dead

Boo.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is an arcade at the mall in Lethbridge.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

the University one sucked since the renovation anyway, just became the back corner wedged between Subway and that pita place. I haven't been there for years. What happened to it now?

That whole renovation sucked all the soul of of Mac Hall in the process too.

I wonder what happened to their Star Wars arcade, that's the only thing I would ever put money into since it was only 25 cents and not like 2 bucks like everything started getting.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 06-01-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
Akai-Sesui
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Chinook's theatre has SOME arcade games.
Akai-Sesui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Calgary should really get one of these:

http://www.daveandbusters.com/

It's like a Chuck E Cheese for adults. Billiards, video games, good food, and alcohol! The one north of Toronto is a blast.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
Mike Oxlong
Got Oliver Klozoff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
Calgary should really get one of these:

http://www.daveandbusters.com/

It's like a Chuck E Cheese for adults. Billiards, video games, good food, and alcohol! The one north of Toronto is a blast.
Wouldn't that be like Schanks here?

It is a shame there aren't any arcades anymore. I used to love them. I suppose with the capabilities of gaming consoles like PS3, XBOX, and home computers people don't need to leave home anymore to play good video games.

Only arcades I can think of are Schanks, and the Coliseum theatre down south.
Mike Oxlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

*Sniff* I miss playing a few 20+ minute games of Arkanoid/bubble bobble/galaga to kill a free hour between classes at Uni.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
Akai-Sesui
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxlong View Post
Wouldn't that be like Schanks here?

It is a shame there aren't any arcades anymore. I used to love them. I suppose with the capabilities of gaming consoles like PS3, XBOX, and home computers people don't need to leave home anymore to play good video games.

Only arcades I can think of are Schanks, and the Coliseum theatre down south.
Dave and Busters isn't really a sports bar; it's more like a restaurant for adults that encourage the "13 year old-you" to come out and play.
Pretty good food, drinks were okay too, but it was more about getting drunk and playing Sega Rally with your friends and then playing skee-ball and winning enough tickets to get the Remote Control Tank (with actual firing turret) for 10000 tickets.
Akai-Sesui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:25 AM   #10
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was down in Portland and Seattle about 10 years ago ... there was a franchise called Wunderland. It was awesome! It was a massive arcarde; probably 125 games, maybe more.

You paid an admission fee of $2.95 (I think) and then all the games were a nickel after that. It was really good value... My friend and I proabably played in there for 6 hours one night and spent less than $10 each.

Edit: They still exist! Admission is still only $2 for adults. http://www.wunderlandgames.com/

Last edited by Draug; 06-02-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
Scorponok
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Arcades are really a dying breed, and it almost brings a tear to my eye. Home consoles really killed the arcade star, IMO. That, and games charging a damn dollar per credit. Also, it seemed to jump in price overnight, from the usual 25 cents to a dollar. Show me any industry that can see such a percentage increase like that and people still buy or use the same amount.

The only arcade left in Calgary besides the ones mentioned is the one in the Greyhound bus station on 9th Ave SW, and is the last true arcade room that I know of. The place itself seems like it's stuck in the late 70's/early 80's, and I think it is only there because they don't know what else to do with the space. There are several pinball machines there, as well as a multi-game machine that plays a lot of early 80's games (Ms. Pac Man, Bubble Bobble) some dedicated 80's arcade machines, as well as a few inferior 90's games like Operation Wolf and that X-Men game.

I'd go there more often if the place wasn't so depressing. People who take the bus there seem to also be stuck in the 80's, and one day I should really go take some pictures and post them on RateMyMullet.com. Besides that, there are motherly looking middle aged ladies still wearing neon ski jackets and the occasional army guy who's uniform looks like it hasn't been replaced since the Reagan days.

Overall, it really seems like a place that time forgot, and would make a great setting if you wanted to make a movie set back 30 years ago.
Scorponok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:27 AM   #12
DAN0383
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I miss the old arcade at northland mall... That went away what, 10 years ago?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #13
hkstylez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wish they still had the arcade at Eau Claire.
hkstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hkstylez For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 06:45 AM   #14
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstylez View Post
Wish they still had the arcade at Eau Claire.
ditto, now where's a fella s'posed to get in a half decent game of skee-ball?
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:56 AM   #15
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Now that the University has pretty much shut down their arcade are there any real arcades left in Calgary? (The airport doesn't count).
No.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #16
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the heck was the name of the University arcade? Campus Cove pops into my mind, lots of good memories playing pool and hitting up the games there.

Market Mall used to have an arcade as well, back in my junior high years. Wizards Den I think it was called.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #17
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
What the heck was the name of the University arcade? Campus Cove pops into my mind, lots of good memories playing pool and hitting up the games there.

Market Mall used to have an arcade as well, back in my junior high years. Wizards Den I think it was called.
Yeah, and the Wizards Den was tight, where Moxies is today.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #18
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had 4 options growing up.

Marlborough Mall (Can't remember the name of the arcade)

Tom's Billiards

Local Laundromat

Or lets see if anyone remembers this place (Forest Lawn)

Momma's KO Arcade (very shady but I was younger)
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #19
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one at Marlborough was a Laser Illusions I believe. I used to be an arcade junkie back when I was a kid. I loved going to Sunridge because they had a Wizards Castle there. I believe Chinook had a Laser Illusions as well. I used to love going to malls that I know had an arcade, and dreaded malls without one. Heck, I even liked going to Brentwood mall because they had an arcade there. I remember playing Street Fighter 2 for the first time ever there.

It does bring a tear to my eye seeing the death of arcades. But things evolve over time, and with console capabilities matching arcades, I do see why people would rather sit at home and play online than to fork out a loonie for 10 minutes of playtime at an arcade.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #20
profiler
Draft Pick

Laser Illusions was in Marlborough, I believe it was also in Eaton Center Downtown. Easy Street was pretty cool too! haha extra tokiens if you change a $20 and any left over coins could be used at the local esso car wash. Does anybody remember Bullwinkle in the south?
profiler is offline   Reply With Quote