Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Need some info for building a basic website

I'm becoming a member in a group that has joint ownership of a good size chunk of land in the Water Valley area.

As an incoming new member, I'd like to give the group a means of easily communitacting with each other in a format other than email.

The sites needs would be very basic, just a simple BBS type thing with the ability to post images and maybe a central calendar? I'd expect maybe 50 people at most using the site.

What's the easiest way to set up a website like this? I'd prefer to be able to host it on my WHS box at home but if that's not doable, hosting elsewhere would be fine assuming cost is low.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We used Fatcow and the Weebly website building tool to put together a website, it allows you to do all of the stuff your talking about, the added bonuses is having someone else hosting it is I never have to worry about the technology going down.

I think we pay about $400.00 a year which is cheap for a business.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're just using it to communicate with each other and keep everything in one place, I'd just set up a Google group.

I'm on the Condo Board for my building and that's what we use. It keeps everything in threaded discussions, and people can interact with it however they want. You can set it up to send you an email for every new post, and you can even reply to posts through your email and they still go into the discussion on the Group.

Once it's set up, it doesn't require any maintenance and it's free. It doesn't have its own calendar, but I believe you can link a Google calendar to the group.