Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #41
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Grenade Launchers, Liscense to Kill, Archives lol. We used to take one of those science project tri-fold boards and tape it down the center of the TV. 2 vs 2 no radar.
Oh, the Archives. I think we played in a similar way. There was times I was trying to figure it out who/what killed, until you look at the ceiling and there was an explosion right above you.

I also liked playing in the Bunker.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #42
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Oh, the Archives. I think we played in a similar way. There was times I was trying to figure it out who/what killed, until you look at the ceiling and there was an explosion right above you.

I also liked playing in the Bunker.
The funny thing about explosives and Liscensed to Kill is you didn't even have to be close to an explosion to die. If so much as a puff of smoke drifted your way you'd be dead lol.

One birthday party we managed to use a gameshark to unlock all full singleplayer levels for multiplayer use and had every weapon. Everyone was running around with duel weapons of every sort. Double golden guns, P90s, grenade launchers, moonraker lasers, proxy mines lol.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #43
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

NBA Courtside with Kobe Bryant - I played season after season and kept two fat notepads full of season stats because, you know, they didn't have the memory to store stats.

Conker's Bad Fur Day - Playing Raptor and Deathmatch multiplayer for days on end during our summer breaks from school.

Pokemon Yellow for Gameboy - One of the best games ever made. Hours and hours of enjoyment driving from Cranbrook to Creston to Sparwood to Fernie to Whitefish to Canal Flats for hockey games. Good times.

Halo 3 - I can't believe no one has mentioned this one. Probably the best multiplayer I've ever played. It's free for Xbox Live members now and it's bumpin' again. Tons of people online. Still having a ton of fun with it. Shoot, shoot, beat down. Rinse. Repeat.

GTA San Andreas - Creating imaginary James Bond missions in the game. Skydiving into Area 69 to retrieve an imaginary suitcase.

ATV Offroad Fury - Having ATV battles on top of the arch in that one level. That's the best I can explain it.

Donkey Kong 64 - Beating King K. Rool is one of my greatest life achievements. Top 10, easily. Such a fun, strategic game.

Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #44
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Metal Gear Solid in general, but the boss fight with Psycho Mantis.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #45
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

I was big time into the various Sierra Quest games as a kid. Space Quest was my favourite series and I played them right from the first one on. In Space Quest 3, I was stuck on that trash planet that you start on for so long and since this was before the Internet, you couldn't just go and look up the solution for anything you couldn't figure out. I had my spaceship already to go, I just couldn't figure out how to get into the damn thing. I finally figured out that you had to take the ladder and use that to get into the ship. When I finally got of that planet, after literally months of being stuck there, it was such an amazing and satisfying feeling. I'm sure anyone that played those Quest games knows what I'm talking about. You could get stuck on something so stupid for so long.

More recently, in Demon's Souls beating Maneater. I rolled off that platform so many times trying to dodge his attacks and then when I think I've finally beat him and second one appears and starts attacking me. When I finally managed to kill both of them, it was such a great relief.

In Dark Souls I probably fought the Stray Demon way to early, because I really wanted that titanite slab. The initial fall would take off so much of my health that he could one-shot me, so I had to be perfect to beat him. After a whole heap of tries I finally managed to do it.

All of those game from overcoming difficulty and I love my difficult games (I guess it goes back to being of the NES generation when games achieved replayability by being hard), but I'd have to say a very satisfying game in terms of story was the final battle in Mass Effect 2. It just felt like it tied the whole game together so nicely.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #46
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

NFL Blitz. 4 player two vs. two tournament with a big group watching. Anyone who has played the game knows it elastic bands (evens out the game so it's always close) like crazy. But for some reason the Panthers were an unbeatable team so for the final game of this tournament both teams are the Panthers. Tight game, into overtime, everyone is losing their minds. Overtime ends in a tie. The most intense game of Blitz ever. Everyone is silent and at the edge of their seat. Then the screen says....Panthers win! with no indication of which Panther team it was. It was pandemonium of prepubescent shrieking after.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #47
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I finally got all 120 gold stars in Super Mario 64. That game was a labor of love. Sometimes me and my brother would set our alarm clocks a couple hours before we were supposed to go to school and we would game until my parents woke up. That game was my life throughout most of Jr High school, and it was a big f'ing deal to me once I finally 100% completed it.

Also, beating the Water Temple in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. While the level itself wasn't my most favorite moment, the feeling of relief as I beat that level (especially in the day and age without strategy guides) is a feeling I'll never forget.

Playing Resident Evil 2 on N64 was also one of my favorite moments. For years, the battle between PS1 & N64 always seemed to favor Sony since they were able to incorporate FMV sequences in their games and Nintendo cartridges didn't have room. Having an N64 game that allowed for FMV was a pretty big deal back then and no one thought it was possible.

Most recently, if anyone has played The Walking Dead Ch 1 game for Xbox 360, that's been one of my favorite games/stories recently. If you haven't played it, I'd highly recommend playing it. It's pretty controversial some of the decisions you have to make, and its one of the few games that actually left me feeling a bit traumatized and uneasy as I played it. I'm hoping Ch 2 continues the trend.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #48
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not my moment but my son's. He is 12 and mastered Red Dead Redemption in about a week. (note: I never play him in any video games...he slaughters me). So after a couple of weeks he is bored with the game and decides to go play matches. So what he does is he will pick one person and just hunt them the whole time. I heard him laughing one day so I asked him to take off the headphones and let me hear what was going on.

Turns out when he would pick on one preson and keep killing him. The comments made by that person would get worse and worse (funnier and funnier). I could just picture some guy in his 20's swearing at the other guy who was destroying him but not knowing her was 12.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #49
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #50
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I used to play Pokémon Crystal on my way to hockey games/tourneys. Ahhh the memories. I remember having no idea Eevee would evolve at a certain happiness. Good old Cuddles the Espeon. He kicked ass up and down.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #51
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Chrono Trigger - Getting all the endings
Final Fantasy 7 - Absolutely decimating the game, finishing at level 99 with all my characters.

Now, beating a level that's taken me $%#$%ing 2 weeks to beat on Candy Crush. My how time changes things.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #52
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Chrono Trigger - Getting all the endings
Final Fantasy 7 - Absolutely decimating the game, finishing at level 99 with all my characters.

Now, beating a level that's taken me $%#$%ing 2 weeks to beat on Candy Crush. My how time changes things.
Damn you level 167!
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #53
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first time you got through a battle in X-Com (the original) without any of your squad getting killed.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #54
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The first time you got through a battle in X-Com (the original) without any of your squad getting killed.
Without save scumming? What difficulty?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #55
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Recently for me would be BF3 with a semi auto shotty and G18, (that's the automatic pistol right?). I went on an absolute tear, closing in on about 16 or 17 kills then I got booted for 'cheating'.

BF42 had some sweet moments but the one that sticks out was, I think, Operation Husky. It was the Italian expansion mission with the beach landing, could be wrong on the name. We pushed in and had isolated the defenders to one desert spawn. I grabbed the german/italian arty vehicle and zeroed in on that last spawn. Got the spawn timing down just right and tore them apart. To the point that ppl just left instead of waiting on the tickets. It was awesome, I think i had about 70 kills, 40 or so more than the closest after me.

Next was MoH, the original. That was one of the first really arcadey shooters I played. Me and a buddy were on playing as the US with Garands while chatting on vent. He hollers at me that he's being chased by a guy with the STG44, comes around a corner where i'm waiting in a plaza. We both take a knee aka crouch and wait for the STG guy to come around the corner. He turned the corner and got wrecked by our impromptu firing squad. We still talk about that one to this day.

Anyone ever use breachign charges on Rogue Spear? Those generated a ton of laughs as poor hapless pubs run up to the door only to be blasted into bits.

As many of stated, lots and lots of WoW moments. Vanilla WoW provided some great memories, flying over high areas and seeing nothign but skulls was awesome. Finally stepping into them felt like a massive achievement. Downing rag for the first time, clearing BWL and Ony firsts as a guild was great.
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #56
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
My absolute favorite game of all time. So many excellent moments there. Malak was the original 'Meatbag'. Forcing Juhani to the light side. Joining Bastila on the dark side.

There has only ever been one game that has made me feel sick and terrible and ashamed of myself. It was KotOR. When you return to the Ebon Hawk on the unknown planet, dark side. Forcing Zaalbar to kill Mission, then killing him after too. I had to put the controller down and walk away. I was almost in tears.
One of the best moments, I think in the second game was when you came across the two feuding families who's kids got secretly married. You came across the families and as a jedi you were suppossed to defuse the situation. While I went full dark side and without lifting my light sabre convinced the families to butcher each other. My companion at the time thought I wasn't very jedi like.

The first time I played KOTOR I went fully light side, saved the galaxy and killed Malak.

The second time around I went full dark side, and yeah the scene where I convinced Zaalbar to butcher mission, and then killing him myself was actually very emotional. All while Bastilla was cheering me on.

It was a depressing end game, and slaughtering Malak out of revenge was kind of sad too.

Exceptional writing in that game never to be matched again.

I loved GTA 3 where you rescue the girl, and she's yaking away as the credit role, then the screen goes blank and you hear the single gun shot.

I remember the first time I got a tank in San Andreas after infiltrating area 69, and going on a kill streak through all five cities.

Of hijacking the 707 and flying it over Las Santos and parachuting out while watching the plane spiral into a crowded highway full of cars blowing up hundreds.

Wing Commander 4 and finally beating Seether when I used the old top gun move where you basically jam on the brakes and watch him fly buy and hitting him with everything and hearing him scream as he dies.

The first time I played Civ 2 and I nuked the damn dirty american city of Washington and started a full blown nuclear war that basically stripped all of the vegetation off of the planet.

Playing the last battle in Klingon Academy and swooping my huge dreadnaught over the enemies battleship and exchanging hell fire.

Playing Starfleet Academy and taking the real enterprise out of space dock.

Accidentally killing a red shirt in Star Trek 25th anniversary when I dropped a rock on him and seeing McCoy say "He's dead Jim"

In SWTOR when my Sith Warrior finished his story by beating Darth Baras twice and then turning to the Dark Council and telling them that they can rule as they please as long as they don't get in my way, then man strutting out of the council room was awesome.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #57
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

-My first experience playing a video game: Aztec on an old Apple IIe. Loved that game.
-Experiencing Civilization for the first time and sinking hours into playing the game.
-Playing hours of Quake 2 - Chaos DM with my school buddies from SAIT.
-Being invited to my first LAN
-Being invited to my first competitive CS clan.
-The sheer awe I felt when I entered WoW for the first time and began leveling a character in beta.
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #58
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

How can I forget playing Duke Nukem 3d where 8 of us bought our computers to a buddies house and networked them together.

The sheer satisfaction of putting about 50 pipebombs in a hall way, and then turning to see your foe chasing you and slowly hitting the detonator.

Or the oh crap moment when you have the drop on him with a rocket launcher.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #59
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One of them is joining the secret order of the Sith in Tie Fighter.

Another is building a Bertha cannon in Total Annihilation over multiplayer and owning my roommate.

Another was some moment in Half Life 2 when this pumping techno came on and you took on the flyers on that bridge.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #60
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

FF when it first came out on the NES. We rented it and got absolutely hooked and played some 16 straight hours. Got a little bit of sleep and then powered through until we had to return the game. We left a note pleading not to save over our game. We were so elated to find that our save game was still there when we got to rent it again after they returned it. Finished the game late that night/early morning.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote