Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:
Default Sept 10 Apple Event Thread - iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iOS7

Didn't see a thread on this yet, and saw some pictures that are the supposed home button of the iPhone 5S which includes a fingerprint scanner.

http://sonnydickson.com/2013/09/05/h...s-home-button/

Was going to get my wife a new iPad for her birthday but figured I'd better wait, seen rumours that a new iPad that's more like the iPad mini will be introduced.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
which includes a fingerprint scanner.
I'm curious to see if that
a) can be bypassed (ie use a backup password if the scanner fails)
b) will be an issue with lifeproof/otterbox style cases
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quite excited for this one as my wife and I are due for upgrades for this cycle. I initially thought the release of a plastic-backed cheapo version was dumb, but then I realized it's almost perfect for her. If the camera can even be on par with the 5 it'll be a clear decision.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Baxter Renegade
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Introducing the Iphone 5S!

This unit is identical to the Iphone 5, except for some added horsepower. The screen will still crack, the OS is still locked up tighter than the Virgin Mary, and not much has changed since the days of the original Iphone!! Yours for 800 bucks!!!

Haha, I kid, I kid... Just razzing you Iphone folks.
Baxter Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Baxter Renegade For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm still rocking the 3GS (just came off contract) so I might be upgrading to the 5S. What price have brand new iPhones typically been offered at with a new contract? Is it going to be different now with the 2 year contracts?
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
I'm still rocking the 3GS (just came off contract) so I might be upgrading to the 5S. What price have brand new iPhones typically been offered at with a new contract? Is it going to be different now with the 2 year contracts?
I was in a Rogers store last night and the iPhone 5 is still going for the usual $199 for the 16GB on a 2 year plan (add $100 for 32GB). The kick is now there are essentially "discount" plans if you get a cheaper phone. The high end or flagship phones require the more expensive plans (starting at $80 a month), and not surprisingly the iPhone 5 is considered a flagship phone. I imagine once the 5S comes out then that will drop the price of the 5 to $99.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I was in a Rogers store last night and the iPhone 5 is still going for the usual $199 for the 16GB on a 2 year plan (add $100 for 32GB). The kick is now there are essentially "discount" plans if you get a cheaper phone. The high end or flagship phones require the more expensive plans (starting at $80 a month), and not surprisingly the iPhone 5 is considered a flagship phone. I imagine once the 5S comes out then that will drop the price of the 5 to $99.
I wonder if the 5 is simply discontinued in favour of the 5C. I think it won't be like it has been in the past.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I think this will kill me getting another iPhone. I'm due for an upgrade in the next few months, and was really holding out for an iPhone with a wider screen. A longer screen adds minimal value to me. You're still left with the same amount of side scrolling in typical use (I don't flip my phone to landscape often at all).

Plus my iPhone 4 has really turned into a piece of crap. It's slow (as all Apple products magically get via OS "upgrade" just before new hardware comes out) and the one important button on it stopped working consistently for me just out of warranty and Apple's solution was to turn on some on screen home button for me that eats a piece of my already small screen. Yayyyyy. The new iPad interests me though as I think my wife would get a lot of use out of it. No more trying to read recipes off her iphone with dirty hands!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Plus my iPhone 4 has really turned into a piece of crap. It's slow (as all Apple products magically get via OS "upgrade" just before new hardware comes out)
Isn't the iPhone 4 more than three years old now? Hell, my computer rigs don't even last that long.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I wonder if the 5 is simply discontinued in favour of the 5C. I think it won't be like it has been in the past.
I would imagine the 5C is going to get the hardware from the current 5, just with the cheapie case.

As long as the colours aren't too girly, I am probably going to buy one cash, off contract until the bigger iPhone surfaces.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 5C is almost certainly an attempt from Apple to eliminate the 4 and 4S from the $0 and $99 plans so devs don't need to support both resolutions.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm hoping for a new iPod announcement as well. My old Nano is starting to die and it'd probably be cheaper to buy a new one than repair the old one.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Isn't the iPhone 4 more than three years old now? Hell, my computer rigs don't even last that long.
I guess that's part of my problem. I got the phone in January of 2011.

I find the fact a $700 phone is "old" after 2.5 years pretty ridiculous.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

I already found my phone 'old' a day after they released the Note 3
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
I guess that's part of my problem. I got the phone in January of 2011.

I find the fact a $700 phone is "old" after 2.5 years pretty ridiculous.
Don't buy overpriced phones!
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Don't buy overpriced phones!
Valuable input in an Apple thread.

I agree that the Nexus 4 is a good deal if you are in the market for an Android phone, but how long do you think Google is going to continue to lose money on this phone?
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Valuable input in an Apple thread.

I agree that the Nexus 4 is a good deal if you are in the market for an Android phone, but how long do you think Google is going to continue to lose money on this phone?
Nexus 4 is the best value phone on paper for sure. However, a compare between it and a iPhone 5 is not really apples to apples for me. The build quality is far superior in the 5, has LTE, faster processor. It really should be a G4 vs. iPhone 5.

I think a good compare will be this 5C vs Nexus 4. No doubt it will be more expensive, and may lack a few things the Nexus 4 has, like resolution. However just like the iPad mini it will be somewhat compatibly priced, and will probably outsell the Nexus 4 on day 1.

Why? Well we can tell ourselves it is because the are a lot of IT noobs out there like moms and teens. Or we can face fact that the build quality and whole package Apple delivers is just better than Android right now to the masses. That allows them to charge what they can, but it sells a lot, so is it really overpriced?

I agree that the simplicity yet complexity of Android is pretty cool. However, when it comes down to it, I returned 3 android devices now for the following reasons:

1. Samsung bloat ware
2. Poor build quality of the first Nexus 7
3. Although the resolution was awesome, I hated the scrolling, browsing, and UI of Android on my second gen Nexus 7. Also the touch screen was super unresponsive compared to my iPad.

So back to the point on over price. I think that is a subjective term. Seeing as iPhone is hugely popular across all market segments including young IT professionals, I would say they are of fair value. Hardware specs and functionality do not make a products value alone. There is something there that Apple has figured out that actually makes their products of good value to many people.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #18
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Back to the new apple products. Not what I want in that post I made, sorry. I can pick apart OldDutch's post but it's not at all appropriate in this thread.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #19
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

It'll be IOS7. Which is pretty awesome.

Good times.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
It'll be IOS7. Which is pretty awesome.

Good times.
Is it? I thought IOS7 is the same but looks a bit different.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote