Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #161
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I envision it went down like it like this:

People were asked to move and be taken to a safe zone, which is where our merry band of characters live. We saw shots of people coming in carrying their possessions, like refugees. I suspect that it was chosen because it was easy to fence, or defend.

Those that didn't come out or evacuate get evacuated by a bullet. We saw buddy in the street with a pistol next to him, clearly he had no interest in leaving via a truck.
My guess is a lot of people fled the major cities too. Explains why you have random country roads in TWD filled with cars. Also explains how there are so many large crowds of walkers in the forests.

If you had 10 million people in the city, maybe 4-5 million left the city. The remainder were killed or are in one of these safe zones.

It probably all has to do with budget. If you were to actually show the chaos, you'd essentially need the budget of a film like World War Z. CGI shots of hoards of walkers, tunnel and traffic scenes with chaos, gun battles, army and police officers being overrun, etc...

I find it strange that the people inside the safe zone seem to be so clueless though. You can still see through the fences. The scale of devastation they are talking about would be plainly visible. You'd also be able to hear non-stop gun fire.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #162
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely getting a better idea of what exactly people were expecting them to cover. Thanks.

However, I don't think it was necessary. Unless you're really starved for the gore and effects, I think it would be pointless filler. The point is to experience what the characters experience at the outbreak, and I think (all things considered for a zombie TV show) it has happened quite realistically. They have sectioned off a section of the city amidst the chaos and annihilated the rest.

I just didn't need to see the gratuitous violence to get the gist of what is occurring. It was summed up quite well in that episode. I think hints had a far greater impact.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #163
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
Exactly. Kirkman said the plan was to show the beginning of the outbreak up until about the time TWD starts. That's what? Maybe a year? There's a limited window of time to deal with stuff so it might not be a good idea to run through time so quickly.

Of course, plans could change and the series could carry on beyond it's originally-stated end date. But if the plan indeed is to show the beginning of the outbreak skipping over stuff isn't staying true to that vision.
I thought TWD started a month after the outbreak. So if the show only goes to that point, do we only have 20ish days left?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:52 PM   #164
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I thought TWD started a month after the outbreak. So if the show only goes to that point, do we only have 20ish days left?
Never mind. The thing I read may have been out of date. According to other interviews, there will definitely be overlap. Par example: http://www.cinemablend.com/televisio...ine-72311.html

Quote:
I will say that it will definitely progress. I will say that I don’t consider this show to be a prequel to The Walking Dead, because there will be a point where a certain episode of this show will line up with Season 2 of The Walking Dead, and a certain episode of this show will line up with Season 3 of The Walking Dead. So we will be progressing through time to the point that we do pass the initial days of the outbreak. But how fast it is that we get there? That’s just going to have to remain a mystery.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:35 PM   #165
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It probably all has to do with budget. If you were to actually show the chaos, you'd essentially need the budget of a film like World War Z.

Totally OT, but I am still pissed at that movie.

The book was excellent, the movie...not so much.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #166
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Totally OT, but I am still pissed at that movie.

The book was excellent, the movie...not so much.
Hmm. I enjoyed the movie, but maybe that's partly to do with not having read the book?

Anyway, there is a sequel coming in 2017 I guess.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #167
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

World War Z the book and World War Z the movie have as much in common as JRR Tolkien's Silmarillion and Furious 7. I can't even be mad at the "adaptation" because it was no adaptation whatsoever.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2015, 03:47 AM   #168
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
World War Z the book and World War Z the movie have as much in common as JRR Tolkien's Silmarillion and Furious 7. I can't even be mad at the "adaptation" because it was no adaptation whatsoever.
haha so true
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #169
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still like the TWD and the new show, while not blowing me away is good enough to keep me entertained for an hour.

But the one thing I find disappointing in general is the lack of horror. Showing action and carnage (or lack of) isn't the issue for me, but it's the lack of horror and that isn't really a budget issue. Some of the best zombie horror films are also low budget.

I get that you can't have non-stop horror in a series. You need some drama and action to push the plot and develop characters, but the shows seemed to have generally just moved on from any horror elements.

Terminus in the parent series was a great horror element, but then the following season had pretty much nothing in that respect.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #170
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I really liked tonight's episode, sets up a good finale for next week
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #171
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

We got our first compelling character tonight. The closer/negotiator guy.

Looks like things are going to go to hell in the finale next week. We still didn't see much of the genesis of the outbreak, but I've still enjoyed the series. I'll check it out when it returns for season two.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #172
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I can't believe its finale already wtf. But yeah much stronger episode and enjoyed it a lot.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #173
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was it just me, or did everyone else see (hear) in the "previously in Fear the Walking Dead" they added sound to the muzzle flashes we saw near the end of the last episode. I swear the first viewing there was no sound of gunshots at all.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #174
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Was it just me, or did everyone else see (hear) in the "previously in Fear the Walking Dead" they added sound to the muzzle flashes we saw near the end of the last episode. I swear the first viewing there was no sound of gunshots at all.
I remember some kind of sound...possible they made it louder/more distinct.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:05 PM   #175
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Watching the previous episode live with closed captioning turned on, the captions said "distant gunfire." Last night as the previous episode ended, the caption was something more direct, like "continuous gunfire."
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #176
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

that part with the stadium was awesome should be a good finale next week
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #177
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I heard them last week, I think it was the combination of the flashes and the sound that caused such a reaction to the guy on the roof (I have no idea what the characters name is, he's the dad of the amateur videographer).
darockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #178
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
I heard them last week, I think it was the combination of the flashes and the sound that caused such a reaction to the guy on the roof (I have no idea what the characters name is, he's the dad of the amateur videographer).
Travis.

And yes, there was sound of the firearms in the episode.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #179
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was probably the best episode so far. I also like the closer guy as he definitely gained my attention. I guess my biggest disappointment so far is that there's really been no zombies or horror elements. It's more of a tale about the military and survival of citizens which is fine but I didn't really sign on for that but I can see that in the 2nd season they will probably be able to introduce more of a zombie story.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2015, 10:20 PM   #180
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that was a good finale IMO.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote