Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #121
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the beginning of the walking dead, you want Rick to beat the odds and push on. While watching this, I can't wait for some of the characters to die. I know it's just the beginning of the end but they have to pick up the pace or it's going to go down fast.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #122
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

yep, a lot of why people stay with TWD even through its rough spots is cause they get to cheer for badass Daryl, badass Rick, badass Michonne, even occasionally badass Glenn do cool stuff. if any one of those characters kicks the bucket there would be riots and the showrunners know it.

in FTWD for whatever reason they decided to kick things off with whiny teenagers and their bickering, illogical parents. it's funny how people started putting their hope into random Spanish barber guy cause he's the only one that did anything remotely TWD-like.

at the moment I'm enjoying it cause the slowly accelerating collapse of civilization is fascinating. but pretty soon they're gonna reach the same point as TWD season 1, and by then they better have defined some characters we can all get behind.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:18 AM   #123
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with a lot of the criticisms, but I like the basic premise of the show and that is good enough for me right now. But yeah, I can't wait until they start killing off some characters. None of them are really that interesting.

But keep in mind that in the main show, the characters as they were while interesting, it was their transformations that really made them compelling. Rick from a boy scout do-gooder to the savage, Darryl from a racist redneck to the rogue hero, Carol from the shy abused housewife into an assassin.

I expect that we will see some transformations from the boring vanilla character we have now. In fact, it is probably by design that they are the way they are now.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 09-17-2015 at 11:31 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:28 AM   #124
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

also, anyone remember early in TWD when Rick first met the other survivors in the city, the zombies had the power of running and using tools (i.e. bricks to smash a glass door). since then they've all decayed and become slower/dumber. but now in FTWD they're super slow shambling right off the bat. I wonder if Kirkman and the gang look back at those smart/fast zombies and are just hoping everyone forgets cause it was a mistake.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:44 AM   #125
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I just think too many people are overthinking this, its 3 episodes in and we all know what a deep thinking show TWD is...

I'm sure it will become more interesting and settle into a decent zombie show.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #126
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I just think too many people are overthinking this, its 3 episodes in and we all know what a deep thinking show TWD is...
So much this.

If this show went from a normal society to full blown apocalypse in just 3 episodes, we completely miss the point of the show.

I'm looking at this more like a zombie version of 24. I think TWD mentioned it only took about a month from the start to society being completely wiped out so it will start to go downhill really fast really soon but I'm very interested in watching all the dynamics happening. I'm really enjoying the pace myself.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #127
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
also, anyone remember early in TWD when Rick first met the other survivors in the city, the zombies had the power of running and using tools (i.e. bricks to smash a glass door). since then they've all decayed and become slower/dumber. but now in FTWD they're super slow shambling right off the bat. I wonder if Kirkman and the gang look back at those smart/fast zombies and are just hoping everyone forgets cause it was a mistake.
When people first turn they tend to be a bit more confused and shambling. It probably takes a few days for someone to really hit their zombie stride.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:39 AM   #128
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
It`s not the acting. It`s the direction that the director is giving the actors. FTWD has a strong cast for the main characters. I haven`t seen the 3rd episode yet however.

Think of Star Wars episode 1-2-3. Those are not bad actors but the writing and direction were turd. I feel bad for Hayden Christensen as that dude acted remarkably for the direction and writing he was given, but he hasn`t been in anything important since.

He was in Jumper. Which was the last medium sized movie I remember.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:35 AM   #129
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did they really just go an entire episode without a walker?

I was also kind of blown away that they would jump ahead and show everyone all secure. They could have had a great episode with the army takin' care o' #### maybe having a tough time getting the fence up and secure, clearing the streets etc. If the plan was to take it slow, why'd they jump ahead?

I don't watch TWD for family dramas....
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #130
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, the pace is all over the place. Acting is not great and the story in general is not very enticing. I'll keep watching because it is part of TWD, but I really believe if this show came out first, it would not have lasted.

We should have seen the army coming in and taking over. We should have seen the fences go up. We also should have seen this from various groups of people and their take on it and happenings around these people, not just a central group.

So much could have been done. So much promise and it seems like they are taking the easiest, cheapest and really, not that exciting path.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #131
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it would have been nice to have 3 or 4 totally separate groups to follow in the LA area. Eventually, maybe later in the season or season 2 they start converging. Sure, you would know at some point they would join but they would have opportunity to pick off a few of them, so you wouldn't know who would be left to come together.

As it is, none of the characters are compelling enough to stay with for an hour...
Old 09-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #132
Knut

Exp:

At This point it is a Hate Watch for me.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #133
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_the_Walking_Dead

Wow, just found out there are only 6 episodes "this season". So 2 left. If it hadn't been for TWD, this show would not have even been able to build up a following for a second season. With 6 episodes, they should have blown this out of the water. Instead we get these slow, boring episodes. If someone had asked the question, "how do we make a boring show about zombies" this would be it. Step 1, don't put any zombies in it.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #134
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With this being set in LA, I think it would've been a better dynamic if they focused around a rich, snobby Beverly Hills family as opposed to your average middle income family.
...Think Kardashians being chased by walkers. This time, the walkers would be the protagonists.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stud_McCool For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #135
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In all fairness the title of the show is "Fear the walking dead". It is a show about people and what they will do when afraid.

I too think the pacing and timeline is wacky amongst other things. When they mentioned it had only been 9 days since the power went out? Yet people were acting like it was months. Did I miss that?

Or how did the mother just walk out of the compound?

Or when the army was taking her son to probably kill him she got mildly upset?

And that mirror reflecting, was that gun flashes or light? At the beginning it was light but not the end.

I can get over not seeing zombies but some of the plot points are super wierd. I will watch it through but this isn't a very good show outside the main plot so far.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #136
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have learned not to watch this show late at night. I fall asleep everytime.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #137
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
In all fairness the title of the show is "Fear the walking dead". It is a show about people and what they will do when afraid.

I too think the pacing and timeline is wacky amongst other things. When they mentioned it had only been 9 days since the power went out? Yet people were acting like it was months. Did I miss that?

Or how did the mother just walk out of the compound?

Or when the army was taking her son to probably kill him she got mildly upset?

And that mirror reflecting, was that gun flashes or light? At the beginning it was light but not the end.

I can get over not seeing zombies but some of the plot points are super wierd. I will watch it through but this isn't a very good show outside the main plot so far.
Definitely looked like gun flashes at the end. I was telling my wife that after watching, which she quickly dismissed. "Pfft, check CP honey."
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #138
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Did they really just go an entire episode without a walker?

I was also kind of blown away that they would jump ahead and show everyone all secure. They could have had a great episode with the army takin' care o' #### maybe having a tough time getting the fence up and secure, clearing the streets etc. If the plan was to take it slow, why'd they jump ahead?

I don't watch TWD for family dramas....
Yeah, definitely kind of strange. You'd expect there to be walkers everywhere at this point. If the vast majority of the city has no survivors left, you'd expect those areas to be full of walkers.

The point immediately after the epidemic has hit is when you'd expect the number of walkers to be at an all time high. Huge heards should be rushing the gates constantly...a budget thing?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:40 PM   #139
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Count me as one of the few that is actually quite enjoying discovering the horror of the walker apocolypse alongside the characters in the show. I think it's quite intriguing to see how the initial days and weeks of the outbreak broke down in such a densely populated area such as LA. Again, considering nobody in this universe has the concept of zombies it actually lines up well with how the story is unfolding.

The lack of walkers isn't really surprising as we are really limited to a view of the 'safe zone' with brief allusions and glimpses into the 'dead zone'. We have to remember that the military has essentially instituted a kind of marshall law, and it seems that they are culling walkers and the living as a sort of immediate, preventative measure. Caught in the 'dead zone', then you're dead.

The end was definitey muzzle flashes of what we can only assume was an execution. Travis indirectly got those people killed.

Regarding caring for the characters, I don't remember having sympathy for any characters in TWD except Rick. I developed that sympathy for characters like Glenn, Maggie, Hershel, Dale, etc. as the story unfolded. It's going to take some time to get to know and care for these people as well. Travis is struggling to reconcile the tear between civilization and what he knows he needs to do. Madison is beginning to relenquish some of her humanity in light of what she has seen (abandoning the neighbor, contemplating killing Susan, etc.). Kids and cursorary female characters on TV tend to be disregarded unless they are badass.

Some complaints seem to forget that this group has no idea what is going on. Their minor glimpses into what is happening hasn't registered, and some of them still believe this is temporary and these walking corpses are just sick and can be saved. Daniel and his wife have the benefit (in a sick way) of seeing the dissoution of society into violence and chaos, and are thus the only characters with an understanding of what it will take to survive.

I'm glad the show-runners didn't just thrust us right back into the walker melee ala TWD. I'm liking the build-up to what I know is eventually to come. It's interesting to see the remnants of society fall away, starting with the assumption of control by the military and the projected rebellion of the citizens as they come to grips with what is really happening.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #140
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Count me as one of the few that is actually quite enjoying discovering the horror of the walker apocolypse alongside the characters in the show.
This is my sentiment as well. They need to take it slow. Once they go full walker there is no turning back and you just end up with TWD West coast.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hessen For This Useful Post: