Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #161
Rocky Raccoon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Passing on JD and keeping this clown in place has made me angrier by the day. Knowing that his M.O. the past 3 years has been shoring up appearances to extract tax payer money for a private arena is bringing me to a rolling boil.
I don't know the inner workings of the franchise but perhaps JD passed on the Flames. If he knew that Edwards and KK weren't going to give him carte blanche to do whatever he deems necessary to pull the team out of the doldrums of the Western Conference, what motivation does he have to come on board?

Someone earlier in the thread, or perhaps in a different thread, mentioned Brian Burke replacing Feaster. While we can discuss the merits of having Burke as a GM or how proficient he is at the possission, I think we can all agree that Burke doesn't take a GM job without having 100% control over player personnel decisions, and that would make me very happy to know the Flames GM is making all of the decisions, for better or worse.
Rocky Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #162
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Passing on JD and keeping this clown in place has made me angrier by the day. Knowing that his M.O. the past 3 years has been shoring up appearances to extract tax payer money for a private arena is bringing me to a rolling boil.
The new arena is going to be the most transformative thing to hit Calgary in 40 years, even more transformative than light rail transit don't ya know.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #163
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
The new arena is going to be the most transformative thing to hit Calgary in 40 years, even more transformative than light rail transit don't ya know.
Monorail! Monorail! Monorail!
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #164
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I really think about it, the more I really could care less if a new arena is built or not. I mean, how is it going to really benefit your every day Flames fan like me? The one and only reason I would like to see a new arena is so I don’t have to wait as long to go to the washroom…and that’s it. I don’t care if there are more concession stands or more luxury suites or if the Flames make more money. I don’t care about the possible chance to bring in a “big name” concert once every couple of years because we have the roof to support it…if I really want to see that band/act I’ll drive to Edmonton. There is really no upside (that I see, feel free to point out what I’m missing) for me (and most fans I would suspect) in seeing a new rink go up.

I mean, I guess if the Flames can build a new rink without accepting City, Provincial or Federal money, without raising seat prices more then they normally would and without issuing personal seat licenses then I would be into it. But I don’t see that happening – in fact I see them asking for (and probably getting) money from every level of government, jacking ticket prices and possibly putting seat licenses into play.

Basically I am not willing to support the new arena if it costs me (or my representatives in local government) anything. If King and the Flames don’t want to foot the entire bill themselves/have investors lined up to cover costs they can stick the whole proposal where the sun don’t shine as far as I’m concerned.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #165
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That's the thing. I don't trust you nor do I believe he could be the GM if he wanted. Murray Edwards deserves more credit than to be accused of offering a newspaper man the GM job of an NHL team.
That's fine that you don't trust me, but on this, you should.
I understand your comment re: Murray, but you should give the same credit to Ken that the "newspaper man" does not want the GM job.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #166
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
I understand your comment re: Murray, but you should give the same credit to Ken that the "newspaper man" does not want the GM job.
Too much heat in that chair.

Best to meddle from a distance so that when the time comes, you have a fall guy.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #167
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That makes no sense. I would be willing to bet 99.5% of the Canadian male hockey watching population would take a job as an NHL GM in a split second if offered- including professionals making alot of coin. Why would a "newspaper man" be any different? Him being a former paper editor/publisher/whatever the hell he did puts him above wanting to be an NHL GM? lol

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov

Last edited by kipperfan; 02-21-2013 at 10:38 AM.
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #168
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If the Flames did not offer the GM position to Bremner with all his hockey knowledge, why would they offer it to King?
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #169
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Im glad they want to keep Iginla. I think losing him is a mistake.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #170
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raccoon View Post
I don't know the inner workings of the franchise but perhaps JD passed on the Flames. If he knew that Edwards and KK weren't going to give him carte blanche to do whatever he deems necessary to pull the team out of the doldrums of the Western Conference, what motivation does he have to come on board?
When Davidson was hired by St. Louis, it was on the condition that he had carte blanche. I'm pretty sure that's the case with Columbus as well. So it's safe to assume he would only have accepted a job with the Flames under the same conditions.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #171
Alpaca
Farm Team Player

Exp:

KK will be happy with the game Att. 19289
Alpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #172
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am in favor of some taxpayer money being used for new facilities but talking about investing $80 million in a single player then turning around and asking for taxpayer handouts (I know they haven't yet but they will) isn't exactly the smartest thing to say publicly.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #173
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Im glad they want to keep Iginla. I think losing him is a mistake.
Because without him, things would be really terrible, right?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #174
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Agree, at this point we are no better or no worse with Iginla on or off the team.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #175
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperfan View Post
That makes no sense. I would be willing to bet 99.5% of the Canadian male hockey watching population would take a job as an NHL GM in a split second if offered- including professionals making alot of coin. Why would a "newspaper man" be any different? Him being a former paper editor/publisher/whatever the hell he did puts him above wanting to be an NHL GM? lol
Because he knows his limitations.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #176
Rocky Raccoon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
When Davidson was hired by St. Louis, it was on the condition that he had carte blanche. I'm pretty sure that's the case with Columbus as well. So it's safe to assume he would only have accepted a job with the Flames under the same conditions.
So the obvious conclusion, based on the assumptions I made in my post, is that hockey people are not running hockey operations in Calgary.

I don't like this.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #177
Rocky Raccoon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Because he knows his limitations.
Based on some of the posts you make, my assumption is that you know him personally.

If so, would you be so kind as to tell us something we don't know, or at least something the majority of us are missing the boat on?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #178
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you're basically saying that Ken King was offered the GM job and turned it down? Or that when it was available before Feaster was promoted if he King told Edwards he wanted to be GM he would've got the job over Feaster?

Just want to confirm because, if true, the Flames are in worse shape than we all think.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JayP For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #179
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Because i like what he brings to the team and think he is the right kind of pro for young players to observe and learn from.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #180
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
So you're basically saying that Ken King was offered the GM job and turned it down? Or that when it was available before Feaster was promoted if he King told Edwards he wanted to be GM he would've got the job over Feaster?

Just want to confirm because, if true, the Flames are in worse shape than we all think.
The way I read it was that the Flames would never offer King the job, nor would King ever want or ask for it.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post: