Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #141
Gazza
Farm Team Player

Exp:

With a comment like this, who is the GM of this team?
Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gazza For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #142
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes exactly. I'm surprised that more people have not pointed this fact out.

I think that the TSN panelists are going to be dissecting Calgary Flames with glee all season. Now that Toronto has stopped sucking they can focus all of their attention on Calgary.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #143
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hope they finish in the basement if the team isn't willing to give away Iginla, then we can suck with him, and bring in some new talent through the draft.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 AM   #144
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Nice. Hide behind the board AND it's not even your own involvement with him.
Solid...
He is neither a dick nor a bully, and I actually know him.
I stand behind what i say. although I don't deal with him directly, the people who have told me things have dealt with him on a very personal and regular basis.
Hey if you don't like it or know it to be inaccurate, than i'm open to hear your opinion. I'm not trying to convince anyone.
I tried adding a little substance to a situation in which KK appeared to be acting like a dick... and like i said, I won't get into details not for my own sake but for the people who told me these things.
I really had no idea there would be people who'd get so upset by this. I actually find it funny.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:54 AM   #145
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, if the flames are out of it and they don't trade Iginla and retool, then the entire management should be fired. Ken King, Jay Feaster, everyone.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #146
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal and True View Post
Iginla can stay, if he wants.

I disagree with the armchair GMs who believe trading him away is the best (or only) way to build a cup winner in the future.

Asset management is important, and something (anyting) is always better than nothing. But the marginal gain in asset renewal is not enough to change the long term outlook for this franchise. Perhaps the return would be enough to keep the team in playoff contention for a few more years. Seems like another postponement of the inevitible downturn.

This business is cycular, and after some good and memorable years we will be destined to have another young guns era. Every team is going to be in the same boat.

Our current predicament is because of this: Morris, Tkaczuk, Fata, Saprykin, Krahn, Kobasew, Nystrom.

These are our blue chip 1st rounders from the young guns era. There were no building blocks with which to build a proper franchise. Other than Iginla, an expansion team would have more assets to work with. The team has been running on fumes, free agents and short-term trades ever since.

At least Iginla, Kipper and Darryl gave us a 5 year reprieve from what was destined to be a 12 year rebuilding project.

If one is to be honest about the current state of the franchise, then you know that a late round 1st or a decent prospect is not enough to reverse the long term cycle that is coming.

Let's hope we draft better next time around.
That doesn't make any sense. So we're going to have to re-draft our way out of this mess, right? So shouldn't the top item in the agenda of this team be to acquire more, and higher draft picks? It's a heck of a lot easier to re-draft a contending team with multiple first and second round picks than it is to plod along with the standard allotment of picks.

This team has thrown away picks for so long it's as though a lot of fans don't even realize you're allowed to have more than one in each round.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #147
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

So our President, GM or whatever it is essentially tells fans:

Quote:
"We have 80 million reasons to keep Jarome Iginla a Calgary Flame".
Sometimes I wonder about Ken King. I know he's a good businessman and all but he really needs to stay away from the hockey operations.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #148
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Yes exactly. I'm surprised that more people have not pointed this fact out.

I think that the TSN panelists are going to be dissecting Calgary Flames with glee all season. Now that Toronto has stopped sucking they can focus all of their attention on Calgary.
Why is it "with glee"? Why exactly would TSN be biased against a major Canadian market?
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JayP For This Useful Post:
Jsp
Old 02-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #149
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Honestly, if the flames are out of it and they don't trade Iginla and retool, then the entire management should be fired. Ken King, Jay Feaster, everyone.
Ironically, it's the same guys with the ability to fire them that are actually promoting management to prolong this mess...
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #150
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So our President, GM or whatever it is essentially tells fans:

Sometimes I wonder about Ken King. I know he's a good businessman and all but he really needs to stay away from the hockey operations.

I think that also. KK is one of the very few NHL team presidents that do regular interviews on tv and radio. When he is on tv or radio he does not talk about the business side of the flames. He talks about players, style of play, and direction of team like he is an assistant GM.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #151
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I think that also. KK is one of the very few NHL team presidents that do regular interviews on tv and radio. When he is on tv or radio he does not talk about the business side of the flames. He talks about players, style of play, and direction of team like he is an assistant GM.
I don't think it's any secret that he covets the GM job. He's a lot like Lowe in Edmonton in that he knows he can't be the GM in title but he still heavily influences the hockey operations. It's also no small coincidence that both Alberta teams are bad.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #152
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I stand behind what i say. although I don't deal with him directly, the people who have told me things have dealt with him on a very personal and regular basis.
Hey if you don't like it or know it to be inaccurate, than i'm open to hear your opinion. I'm not trying to convince anyone.
I tried adding a little substance to a situation in which KK appeared to be acting like a dick... and like i said, I won't get into details not for my own sake but for the people who told me these things.
I really had no idea there would be people who'd get so upset by this. I actually find it funny.
Funny that you called someone you've never met a dick and a bully, and people who actually know him defend him...?
He's a great guy, who puts everything he can into this team, by trying to help it win and make money.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #153
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't think it's any secret that he covets the GM job. He's a lot like Lowe in Edmonton in that he knows he can't be the GM in title but he still heavily influences the hockey operations. It's also no small coincidence that both Alberta teams are bad.
Sorry, but that makes no sense. He can have it if he wants it, and he doesn't want it. Trust me on that one.

Is he involved? Of course, he is, he's the President and CEO, but he has a GM in place. Yes, certain things need to be bounced off of him, for the economics, but his answer is: "Will it make us better? Then do it".
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #154
BEANZ
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I disagree. KK cannot have the GM job, the owners are not that dumb. Or atleast I sure as hell hope not.

KK is a business man and apparently a decent one. He is far from GM material and him taking that role would make him and this team the laughing stock of the NHL!
BEANZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #155
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, but that makes no sense. He can have it if he wants it, and he doesn't want it. Trust me on that.
That's the thing. I don't trust you nor do I believe he could be the GM if he wanted. Murray Edwards deserves more credit than to be accused of offering a newspaper man the GM job of an NHL team.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #156
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I have heard LaForge on the radio nationally as much as King, Melnyk is the voice of the Sens and is on media all the time, Burke was President of Leafs and we heard him a ton.

Not sure who the president of the Canucks or Canadiens are so perhaps they are more quiet but King certainly isn't that much more vocal than Edmonton, Ottawa or TO.

Quote:
Sorry, but that makes no sense. He can have it if he wants it, and he doesn't want it. Trust me on that one.
If that is true that is terrifying as a Flames fan.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #157
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

With those Iggy comments, it's seems fair to assume that this franchise isn't going to be going sellers this year and will continue to be a gizmo franchise for the next several years. Disappointing to say the least. This club may be in worse shape than the "Young Guns" years, since management refuses to do the obvious and continue to make it more difficult for themselves than need be.

As for the arena. With those comments is blatantly obvious the Flames are gonna be seeking a good portion of public funding. What the Oilers get, they want, since they want to sell it as a facility for Calgarians. Proper move from there perspective, but I feel like I'm gonna have grey hair before we even see a concept of the venue at this rate.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #158
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Passing on JD and keeping this clown in place has made me angrier by the day. Knowing that his M.O. the past 3 years has been shoring up appearances to extract tax payer money for a private arena is bringing me to a rolling boil.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #159
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
With those Iggy comments, it's seems fair to assume that this franchise isn't going to be going sellers this year and will continue to be a gizmo franchise for the next several years. Disappointing to say the least. This club may be in worse shape than the "Young Guns" years, since management refuses to do the obvious and continue to make it more difficult for themselves than need be.

As for the arena. With those comments is blatantly obvious the Flames are gonna be seeking a good portion of public funding. What the Oilers get, they want, since they want to sell it as a facility for Calgarians. Proper move from there perspective, but I feel like I'm gonna have grey hair before we even see a concept of the venue at this rate.
I'll be pretty choked in Nenshi gives the Flames even a dime of city money and with many of his comments over the past while regarding publicly funded arena's, I am thinking (hoping) he won't. So are SO many things in this city that should be funded by taxpayers long before a new arena is; I am really hoping my man Nenshi stands firm on this one.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #160
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Passing on JD and keeping this clown in place has made me angrier by the day. Knowing that his M.O. the past 3 years has been shoring up appearances to extract tax payer money for a private arena is bringing me to a rolling boil.
I think in 2 years time we will all look at that and say, "Well ####".

The writing was on the wall. It was the obvious decision to make.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote