Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #241
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I haven't seen it mentioned, but my feeling is that Iginla is open to a trade to a contender if the Flames are out of it, then would likely re-sign here. He gets another chance to win, the flames get some assets, then he gets to come back where his family is settled and wants to stay.

I think the team is on board with this, and just saying all the right things.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #242
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'd want any firsts we get to be a 2013 first. Gotta take advantage of the deep draft as much as possible.
I read on te hockey news this draft is over-hyped and no where near as deep as people say. The top 5 looks great even the top half of the first round but this is not 2003 all over again. Take that for what it is worth
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #243
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I haven't seen it mentioned, but my feeling is that Iginla is open to a trade to a contender if the Flames are out of it, then would likely re-sign here. He gets another chance to win, the flames get some assets, then he gets to come back where his family is settled and wants to stay.

I can see Iginla coming back for a final month or two before his jersey raising but I cannot see any way he leaves the Flames and then comes back in a meaningfull way unless Feaster turns the team around by next year and they are a playoff contendor, the last thing he is going to want to do is play for a season or two on a playoff/cup contendor then spend 3 years back in a rebuild (a rebuild that will be barely started at the point he would be deciding to return)
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #244
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:

I hope you're right. That would be best for all involved (except for the team getting Iggy as a rental if they don't win the cup).
Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #245
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'd be fine with that, so long as he is not coming back to be the captain. We need new leadership and a new man leading the troops on the battle field - if Iginla can get on board with that, still wants to come back and is willing to take $4ish million per year I'd take him back.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #246
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Iginla will move this season unless the Flames go on an absolute tear. He hasn't been re-signed for a reason.

From what I gathered about Iginla over the last few years is that he is very mindful of his 'legacy' here in Calgary. The team is not doing well, and is desperate for some new blood. As you can see from these boards, people are almost 'hating' Iginla it seems. The guy is 35 and can't carry a team any longer. There are fans that see this, and say: "That's ok, Iginla deserves to run his time out in this city." There are fans that say: "Iginla is dogging it." There are others that say: "This team is not good enough, and the Flames have to trade him and get assets back."

Seems there are very few fans who are ok with Iginla just riding out his career here - at least based on how the team is doing. If Iginla stays in Calgary past the trade deadline, there will be a loud group of people hating it, and unintentionally (or intentionally) hating Iginla.

You already see the "he doesn't care if he wins", "just playing for a paycheque", etc.

From that standpoint, I actually do want the team to trade him to a contender. Let him win a cup. Hopefully he returns here IF he ends up winning a cup. If not, we may never see Iginla again.

He has done a tremendous amount for this city. Unfortunately, I don't think he is able to ride out his career in Calgary like Yzerman in Detroit - Flames got their drafting and development program up too late (and probably still needs more improvement). Not enough impact players coming up through the ranks yet. I would bet you see Iginla moved around the deadline or so.

You also have to wonder how far those trades will go. I personally hope the Flames go on some kind of tear and vault themselves into the playoffs, but I don't see them standing pat at the trade deadline if they are not this year.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #247
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I think Iginla will move this season unless the Flames go on an absolute tear. He hasn't been re-signed for a reason.

From what I gathered about Iginla over the last few years is that he is very mindful of his 'legacy' here in Calgary. The team is not doing well, and is desperate for some new blood. As you can see from these boards, people are almost 'hating' Iginla it seems. The guy is 35 and can't carry a team any longer. There are fans that see this, and say: "That's ok, Iginla deserves to run his time out in this city." There are fans that say: "Iginla is dogging it." There are others that say: "This team is not good enough, and the Flames have to trade him and get assets back."

Seems there are very few fans who are ok with Iginla just riding out his career here - at least based on how the team is doing. If Iginla stays in Calgary past the trade deadline, there will be a loud group of people hating it, and unintentionally (or intentionally) hating Iginla.

You already see the "he doesn't care if he wins", "just playing for a paycheque", etc.

From that standpoint, I actually do want the team to trade him to a contender. Let him win a cup. Hopefully he returns here IF he ends up winning a cup. If not, we may never see Iginla again.

He has done a tremendous amount for this city. Unfortunately, I don't think he is able to ride out his career in Calgary like Yzerman in Detroit - Flames got their drafting and development program up too late (and probably still needs more improvement). Not enough impact players coming up through the ranks yet. I would bet you see Iginla moved around the deadline or so.

You also have to wonder how far those trades will go. I personally hope the Flames go on some kind of tear and vault themselves into the playoffs, but I don't see them standing pat at the trade deadline if they are not this year.
There are MANY reasons why he is not Steve Yzerman or Joe Sakic ... way too many people wanted him to be their fairy tale, but he's not.

Both those guys are top 50 players in NHL history. Iginla is a 1st ballot HOFer no doubt, but Yzerman/Sakic transcend the finest accolades. Circumstances pending, but Iginla is trending closer to Mats Sundin path rather instead which really sucks. Its sad to see, on a personal level when I first started watching hockey was Iginla's rookie season and the growth of a franchise player, the Iginla-Gagner-Hoglund line. But that story is coming to an end and everybody has to realize that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #248
Asain421
Draft Pick

I don't even know what's best for the team anymore
Asain421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #249
vektor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asain421 View Post
I don't even know what's best for the team anymore
to not let our assets depreciate to the point they have zero value, that's what is best
vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vektor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #250
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
There are MANY reasons why he is not Steve Yzerman or Joe Sakic ... way too many people wanted him to be their fairy tale, but he's not.
Joe Sakic was a point per game player in his last three seasons before being forced to retire due to injury at 39 including a 100 point season at age 37.

9th all-time point getter.

Different tier of player.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #251
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Joe Sakic was a point per game player in his last three seasons before being forced to retire due to injury at 39 including a 100 point season at age 37.

9th all-time point getter.

Different tier of player.
I know, it was rediculous. Speaking of which, where is Captain Obvious these days? I remember him flipping out that I said Iginla is no Yzerman/Sakic.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #252
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I read on te hockey news this draft is over-hyped and no where near as deep as people say. The top 5 looks great even the top half of the first round but this is not 2003 all over again. Take that for what it is worth
Hasn't this been said for the last several drafts? They get hyped to hell, then within a few months of the draft everyone backs off and says everything outside of the top 3 or 5 or whatever looks terrible?

Also, it's the Hockey News. THN is a bad source.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #253
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Iginla's goodwill will erode the longer he stays. $80 million invested or not.

The organization can't control that. Might as well act.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #254
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If he doesn't get traded, he just leaves. Which would be worst case scenario with this organization.
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #255
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post

Both those guys are top 50 players in NHL history. Iginla is a 1st ballot HOFer no doubt, but Yzerman/Sakic transcend the finest accolades. Circumstances pending, but Iginla is trending closer to Mats Sundin path rather instead which really sucks. Its sad to see, on a personal level when I first started watching hockey was Iginla's rookie season and the growth of a franchise player, the Iginla-Gagner-Hoglund line. But that story is coming to an end and everybody has to realize that.
Not to downplay the status of those 2 guys, but just look back at the teammates they had. I've posted on here before the number of HOF teammates Yzerman had when he won his first cup. Its actually laughable how much support those guys had throughout their careers compared to Iginla. Who knows what could've been had the Flames actually been able to build a great team around Iginla. They never did it.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #256
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Not to downplay the status of those 2 guys, but just look back at the teammates they had. I've posted on here before the number of HOF teammates Yzerman had when he won his first cup. Its actually laughable how much support those guys had throughout their careers compared to Iginla. Who knows what could've been had the Flames actually been able to build a great team around Iginla. They never did it.
What both Yzerman/Sakic are most known for is their commitment to team game (and thus leadership), that as they aged, and their commitment to 2-way game. Not just their scoring and if they had a playmaker to stack up points; its that these 2 guys were ultimate team players. Both guys were a coaches dream. Iginla is a 1st ballott HOFer, but he doesn't meet those attributes.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #257
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ven27 View Post
If he doesn't get traded, he just leaves. Which would be worst case scenario with this organization.
As others have said, the "worst case scenario" would be if Iggy re-signs a $24 million, 4 year contract.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #258
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
As others have said, the "worst case scenario" would be if Iggy re-signs a $24 million, 4 year contract.
Ohh God.
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #259
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Yeah, if only the Flames could have found someone to play with Iggy that was good as Sakic's setup man Tanguay
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bane For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #260
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just hope CP has their servers upgraded for when Iggy is traded.

I dont want the site to be down like the time Phaneuf was traded.

1stLand is offline   Reply With Quote