Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2024, 04:10 AM   #1
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon46 Sergei Gonchar's interview - Kuzmenko, Zadorov

Gonchar did an in-depth interview in Russian recently, and I figured some of you might like it.

For the ones that care only about Flames content, I made a slightly more accurate version than Google Translate.

Kuzmenko

— What happened with the Canucks and Andrei Kuzmenko? A brilliant first season with 39 goals and 74 points, followed by a sharp decline, a lot of games as a healthy scratch, and a trade to Calgary.
Quote:
This season, we began to emphasize the team’s performance within the system, in particular in the defensive zone. Andrei is a more creative offensive player, focused on generating offense and creating goals. This season, he had to focus on defensive details in addition to generating offense, which wasn't always easy for him.

Some players have been playing structured hockey within a system all their lives, as a result they can adapt to a new system very quickly. It was more difficult for Kuzmenko, since he is already a mature player and has developed different hockey habits/instincts. We must give him credit, he did a great job. He tried and did everything to complete the hockey-tasks we gave him during a game. He worked his tail off, so there were no complaints against him in that regard. But, perhaps, it was difficult for him to combine the strict execution of the defensive details with a vibrant offensive game, while producing at a high level.

I think he will be just fine in the NHL. Eventually, he will put it all together. I hope everything will work out well for Andrey in Calgary. Here he had to go through quite the adaption, and rebuild his game, which resulted in his production dropping.
— Your friend and long-time teammate in Dynamo and Washington, Andrei Nikolishin, said that Kuzmenko wanted to adapt to Tocchet’s requirements, but simply couldn't.

Quote:
I wouldn't say it quite as harshly/definitively: “that he simply couldn't”. It’s just that, when a person is not an 18-20 year-old rookie, but 28, he has already developed a certain skill-set, and takes a little longer to adapt. But as a whole, Nikolishin was right — Kuzmenko definitely tried. I want him to absorb these defensive details, so that over time they become a second nature for him. This will help him in his career, because hockey is a team game. If he combines them with his excellent individual qualities, he can have a long and successful NHL career.
— When Tocchet first came to Vancouver last season, he first moved Kuzmenko from the first to the third line — but Kuzmenko continued to score and soon won his place back at the top of the lineup. Were there such strict defensive requirements for the system back then?

Quote:
No, Rick started implementing his system right away. But you can’t change everything all at once; everything needs to be done gradually, in doses. The lines were changed, we tried different combinations. It was a typical process associated with the arrival of a new coach.
— Do you find any similarities between Kuzmenko’s situations on two different teams where you worked — Vancouver and the Russian Olympic team in Beijing? There, too, the demands of Alexei Zhamnov and your staff did not coincide with the forward’s playing style, and he, remaining scratched, chose to return to St. Petersburg.

Quote:
The Olympics is a short tournament, and it was necessary to adapt quickly, which is not always possible (mentally it is hard to do mid-season). I think that in Vancouver, Andrei was more ready for the change and wanted it more. He put in a lot more work on the defensive side with Vancouver than he did with the national team.
Zadorov
— Do you, as a former defender, work with Nikita Zadorov?

Quote:
Yes, we talk about the game details. I'm selecting game video for him to watch to emphasize those. AC Adam Foote works with him more than I do on a daily basis
— Is it true that Zadorov is not as focused on hitting as in his first seasons in the NHL, when he broke records in that category?

Quote:
I wouldn't say that. Nikita performs enough power moves; you can't say that he became a different defender and has stopped hitting. Or that he is instructed to stop hitting. He reacts according to the game situation, performs the task we outline — but in essence he does not change his game, and we aren't trying to change him. It’s just that there are fewer hits in the NHL right now. The forwards have become faster and smaller. Most importantly, timing is everything, hits need to come at the right time.
— Can we say that Zadorov adapted to Vancouver after the trade smoothly?

Quote:
You have to ask him himself, but in principle — yes. Nikita understands our game requirements and mostly fulfills them. At first, as he was adapting, there were some mistakes, but they happen to everyone. You can’t play 82 games at the same level, especially after you join a new team. I like that he tries, cares and does everything to get his game better.
That's it for Flames content, but there's a lot more, so hopefully you enjoy the read.

Last edited by gvitaly; 04-25-2024 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Edited the interviewer's questions as well
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 09:17 AM   #2
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

4 X $5mil. Come back big Z!

If we are going to be Team Russia we might as well have the "best" Russian in the NHL here.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:54 AM   #3
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post

If we are going to be Team Russia we might as well have the "best" Russian in the NHL here.
No thanks
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 11:23 AM   #4
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kuzmenkos issues under Tocket sure seem like Hubys issues under Sutter.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 11:36 AM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Kuzmenkos issues under Tocket sure seem like Hubys issues under Sutter Huska.
That looks better.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 12:52 PM   #6
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty much what I saw, which is in large part why there was no one in the Canucks fan base who held any ill will. It just wasn't a good fit for him and he was always just a little bit out of position and while he was trying hard it just seemed like the timing was always a half second off resulting in him always being behind the play. I think everyone hopes that he continues to find success in Calgary or wherever he ends up.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:05 PM   #7
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post

Nice try, Nikita
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:39 PM   #8
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big Z sucks.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 02:36 PM   #9
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to bring Zadorov back. I don't think he would return for what I would like to re-sign him for, however - much lower term and dollars. He is a #5 D who can fill in as a #4 just fine, but you don't want him playing there all year. Based on that, you can't hand out term and dollars on your bottom pairing.

Thanks Gvitaly for digging up these interviews. Always nice to read them.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 02:54 PM   #10
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I am not sure about that. How long before he starts tossing teammates under the bus?

Tried to strongarm the team into a ridiculous contract, and demanded a trade through is agent in a selfish manner.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 03:09 PM   #11
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Burns, with the sideburns.