Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2017, 04:19 AM   #1
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Death sentence for facebook post

Pakistan has sentenced a man to death for using derogatory remarks against the holy prophet on facebook.

Quote:
A Pakistan government crackdown on freedom of speech online has reached worrying new levels, activists say, after a young man was sentenced to death over a series of Facebook posts.

On Saturday, 30-year-old Taimoor Raza became the first person to receive a death sentence in a Pakistan anti-terrorism court for "using derogatory remarks ... in respect of the Holy Prophet" on social media.

Pakistan Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan said in March "nothing can be greater than our religion to us" in stopping blasphemy on the internet.
"If social media platforms do not cooperate with us despite all our efforts, then we will take the strictest of measures against such platforms in the country," he said.
"The uploading and sharing of blasphemous content on the internet is a punishable action under the law. Such content should be reported for legal action,"

It isn't just the freedom of speech laws in the spotlight after the Facebook ruling -- blasphemy laws in Pakistan have long been controversial, including a mandatory death sentence for insulting the Prophet Muhammad.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/15/asia/p...ook/index.html

I don't have words for this
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 06:55 AM   #2
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that would be a pretty common sentence in several Islamic nations. It's like the number one thing you can't do.

It's arguably just exemplary human nature. The opening from last night's Twilight Zone episode...a classic Rod Serling monologue....

Quote:
Narrator: [Opening Narration] Tonight's story on The Twilight Zone is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction. This, as you may recognize, is a map of the United States, and there's a little town there called Peaksville. On a given morning not too long ago, the rest of the world disappeared and Peaksville was left all alone. Its inhabitants were never sure whether the world was destroyed and only Peaksville left untouched or whether the village had somehow been taken away. They were, on the other hand, sure of one thing: the cause. A monster had arrived in the village. Just by using his mind, he took away the automobiles, the electricity, the machines - because they displeased him - and he moved an entire community back into the dark ages - just by using his mind. Now I'd like to introduce you to some of the people in Peaksville, Ohio. This is Mr. Fremont. It's in his farmhouse that the monster resides. This is Mrs. Fremont. And this is Aunt Amy, who probably had more control over the monster in the beginning than almost anyone. But one day she forgot. She began to sing aloud. Now, the monster doesn't like singing, so his mind snapped at her, turned her into the smiling, vacant thing you're looking at now. She sings no more. And you'll note that the people in Peaksville, Ohio, have to smile. They have to think happy thoughts and say happy things because once displeased, the monster can wish them into a cornfield or change them into a grotesque, walking horror. This particular monster can read minds, you see. He knows every thought, he can feel every emotion. Oh yes, I did forget something, didn't I? I forgot to introduce you to the monster. This is the monster. His name is Anthony Fremont. He's six years old, with a cute little-boy face and blue, guileless eyes. But when those eyes look at you, you'd better start thinking happy thoughts, because the mind behind them is absolutely in charge. This is the Twilight Zone
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't simply posting or sharing a picture of Muhammad also blasphemy?

Spoiler!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nice knowin you Cro.

I know this sounds mean spirited or bigoted, but how did a bunch of backward savages get in charge of any court?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #5
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe we consider that government an ally in any respect. Pakistanis deserve better.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always found it ironic how religiously-governed countries, such as Pakistan, depend on science and technology advancements - two fundamental concepts completely devoid of religious influence - including the Internet, military capabilities and nuclear weapons, in order to bring living standards up for their people. But, they have no problem using these concepts to step ON these concepts in the name of religion.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - humanity will benefit the most when religion finally establishes itself as a chapter in a history textbook, and nothing more.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I can't believe we consider that government an ally in any respect. Pakistanis deserve better.
Didn't they elect this government with 55% voter turnout, the party that won, which is the Muslim League received a massive majority.

They then elected a extremely conservative president.

This seems like what they want and deserve.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Didn't they elect this government with 55% voter turnout, the party that won, which is the Muslim League received a massive majority.

They then elected a extremely conservative president.

This seems like what they want and deserve.
I don't really trust the democratic institutions of Pakistan.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

fine and fair enough. But at the same time the result was a complete blowout by the other parties (sorry had to look it out) so while there was certainly allegations of corruption I think its almost safe to assume that the party that took nearly 100 more seats then the party and won the popular vote fairly handily was the party and policy that the people wanted.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:16 AM   #10
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

While the Canada Creep pervert will get a slap on the wrist.
Brad let's get on the phone with Pakistan and make a trade?
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #11
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
Dude
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
And the award for strangest non-sequitur goes to...
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #13
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You want to institute the death penalty for voyeurism? And not many counts of it at that.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:45 AM   #14
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is why there is 1.whatever billion Muslims in the world, because they have no choice. Anyone who challenges the religion in a majority Muslim country is subject to the worst punishment. I understand how that worked in the 6th century, but they can get away with it today blows my mind.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate Facebook as much as the next person but even I have to admit that this seems a smidge harsh.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #16
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
This is why there is 1.whatever billion Muslims in the world, because they have no choice. Anyone who challenges the religion in a majority Muslim country is subject to the worst punishment. I understand how that worked in the 6th century, but they can get away with it today blows my mind.
Born a Muslim means born with a death sentence
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #17
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Technically anyone born, is born with a death sentence
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #18
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Every person using Facebook should get a death sentence.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 07:55 PM   #19
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Every person using Facebook should get a death sentence.
This is probably the best post I have come across on this website. Social media has destroyed too many lives. When will Canadians wake up and realize that Native had it right?
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:22 PM   #20
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post
This is probably the best post I have come across on this website. Social media has destroyed too many lives. When will Canadians wake up and realize that Native had it right?
Who is "native"? If you mean natives, plenty of natives have social media.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote