Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-20-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Good places for a rock chip repair?

Got a rock chip in my otherwise beautiful windshield. Keep seeing these places that pop up in Wal Mart and Canadian Tire parking lots but may be a bit weary of them.

Where's the best place to go to ensure my windshield doesn't spiderweb dramatically?
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd recommend Speedy Glass or Apple Auto Glass.

I've also used the grocery store parking lot guys before for small chips. Did a fine job and was much cheaper than the big guys. Your choice.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I went to some car shop on 16th ave and near center. A little west of it. They have a sign of only charging $20. Did a great job on it.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Cal Alta Glass 403 216-3470
Old 05-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCAV View Post
Got a rock chip in my otherwise beautiful windshield. Keep seeing these places that pop up in Wal Mart and Canadian Tire parking lots but may be a bit weary of them.
I have used the one that sometimes shows up at Sobey's in McKenzie Towne; and once at Futureshop in Deerfoot Meadows. I forget the name but they have Orange signs.

So far the job they have done (1 and 2 years ago respectively) was good- no further cracking. Mind you these were small chips; if your crack is already getting bigger (insert joke here) then I might be inclined to spend the extra $5-10 to take it to a reputable glass company.

My issue with glass companies is they have no incentive to do a better job. Their warranty states that if the windshield needs to be replaced due to that repair, they will deduct the cost of the chip repair from the cost of the new windshield. Which to me sounds like you are just putting a down payment on the new windshield.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I have used the one that sometimes shows up at Sobey's in McKenzie Towne; and once at Futureshop in Deerfoot Meadows. I forget the name but they have Orange signs.

So far the job they have done (1 and 2 years ago respectively) was good- no further cracking. Mind you these were small chips; if your crack is already getting bigger (insert joke here) then I might be inclined to spend the extra $5-10 to take it to a reputable glass company.

My issue with glass companies is they have no incentive to do a better job. Their warranty states that if the windshield needs to be replaced due to that repair, they will deduct the cost of the chip repair from the cost of the new windshield. Which to me sounds like you are just putting a down payment on the new windshield.
www.decorepair.com

On their website you can use google maps to find open locations each day. Its was lie $20 for the first chip $15 for the second, and $10 for every additional.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So even the "real" glass shops do these for $20-30? I was under the impression that it was going to cost me damn near $50, even at one of those guys with the tent in the parking lot.

I have a little one that I want to get done before it gets worse, and now I can stop procrastinating and being a cheapskate.

Edit: FYI, for those considering: Speedy in Crowfoot (and presumably chain-wide) does them for $50 plus tax with a lifetime warranty. The orange tent guys are $23 or so with a one year warranty. That is, if you can find their tent again. Each use a toonie as the gauge for the maximum size (that's one heck of a rock chip) that their machine can do. I have never used either, but I'm tempted to try one of these tent guys in the next few days. Maybe tomorrow if I play my cards right. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 05-20-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

How long do those tent guys take to repair a chip? I have a couple but I've not gotten around to doing it yet because I've seen a few people there and I'm worried I'm going to have to sit around for an hour or 2 waiting.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Take it into a professional shop. The ones in the parking lot's don't do that great of a job.

It will probably cost you double what the parking lot guys charge but they will do a better job.
puckluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

i've tried a tent guy, it was alright. didn't spread. pretty standard procedure i think. you can buy kits at cdn tire. drill a tiny hole in the centre of the rock hit but don't go all the way through, ~1-2mm deep, then fill it with retsyn (sp?), heat it up with a heat gun to keep the retsyn flowing to fill the cracks up and make it all dissappear.
Jackpot_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #11
The Reverend
Backup Goalie

Exp:

There is no difference between what the guys in the shop do and what the Deco Repair guys do. Depending on the size of the chip and how long it has been, they do a decent job and don't fleece you in the meantime. Save yourself time and money, I know the guy who runs the show out here in BC and he said the guy who does the best job is at Sunrdidge Mall in Calgary. Lots of experience and pretty much always there.
The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Step one: Go to Princess Auto.

Step two: Purchase rock chip repair kit for $10.

Step three: Follow the easy instructions.

Step four: Drink beer for a half hour while the stuff dries.

Step five: Drink more beer to compensate for the money you saved.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
cKy
Old 05-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

The one thing that would give the Deco people more credibility is if they did some sort of self insurance about fataing up your windshield. As it stands they make you sign a waiver saying if they make it worse, they are not responsible. If the screwups are as rare as they say, charge an extra $1 for each repair, then if they do screw it up the pay you $100 towards getting your windshield replaced.

At least then you would know they have a financial motive other than not collecting your $20 to do it right.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #14
MJM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So what's the limit of what they can fix? I just got one tonight on the way home and it's about a nickle size but has now started to spread maybe three inches. I jusyt want to stop it from spreading more. Do you think they would be able to stop it or am I looking at a new window?
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:06 AM   #15
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got mine done at a shop behind the Hooters on Macleod and 46th ave. I think it's called 5 star or something. Beside the Vietnamese restaurant.

Paid about $25 for 2 chip repairs.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #16
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

$20.

Cal-Alta auto glass on Edm Tr and 32nd Ave NE
Old 06-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #17
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
So what's the limit of what they can fix?
You will note it is called a rock chip repair, not a crack repair. Once it starts to spread I believe you are SOL.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #18
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
You will note it is called a rock chip repair, not a crack repair. Once it starts to spread I believe you are SOL.
The parking lot guy (the orange tent one) said that they can do crack repairs, however they don't guarantee them. They do guarantee chip repairs for a year or two I believe.

So if they won't guarantee it, it probably won't work very well. On the other hand, spending a few bucks to try it out might be a reasonable gamble.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #19
MJM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I woke up this morning and the crack was completely across the windshield. $500 windshield it is......
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote