Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #21
kingkahuna
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Too expensive and too much term. What is Treliving thinking?
kingkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #22
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
I've reached out to the Americans (the team, not the FX TV show or country) for clarification. Nevertheless, he's signed. Yay.
I would like to hear Keri Russell's thoughts on the matter if you could.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:46 PM   #23
Completely
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Does that office have an oven in it?

wait is that even an office? the hell?
Completely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #24
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely View Post
Does that office have an oven in it?

wait is that even an office? the hell?
Looks like he's in his kitchen at home. It definitely looks like it was decorated by someone's mom.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #25
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

on 960 Treliving confirms that it is the NHL or tri cities for Valimaki this season
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #26
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 04:14 PM   #27
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkahuna View Post
too expensive and too much term. What is treliving thinking?
Old 07-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #28
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I don't think I've ever seen sureLoss thank a post before now.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #29
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I don't think I've ever seen sureLoss thank a post before now.
And now, if he's anything like my daughter, because you mentioned it, he'll never do so again.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #30
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

The more I watch and read about this pick the more I think he could have an outside shot of cracking the lineup.

As a Dman he had a PPG pace in the WHL, in his draft year. For someone who plays a 'simple, high hockey IQ' style that is a lot of points. Sounds like he's outgrown the WHL already and would benefit from taking the next step. I've seen him referred to as a 'Finnish T.J. Brodie', and if that's his style who better to apprentice under than the man himself?

He could step right in and play sheltered minutes with a vet like Stone or Hamonic straight away. Am I getting carried away or does anyone else think he could step right in?
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:51 PM   #31
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
The more I watch and read about this pick the more I think he could have an outside shot of cracking the lineup.

As a Dman he had a PPG pace in the WHL, in his draft year. For someone who plays a 'simple, high hockey IQ' style that is a lot of points. Sounds like he's outgrown the WHL already and would benefit from taking the next step. I've seen him referred to as a 'Finnish T.J. Brodie', and if that's his style who better to apprentice under than the man himself?

He could step right in and play sheltered minutes with a vet like Stone or Hamonic straight away. Am I getting carried away or does anyone else think he could step right in?

I think there is zero chance he plays this year. If all goes according to plan he will play one more year in the WHL, then one year in the AHL, and maybe then he is ready to make the jump.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:05 PM   #32
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:

Looking at it logically, the only way the Flames keep him up this season is if he earns a top 6 D spot out of camp. Can't be the 7d as the Flames will likely want him playing games rather than scratched for most of the season.

Looking at the Flames LD safe to say it is very unlikely he will be better than Giordano or Brodie.

Which means he needs to beat out Kulak, Wotherspoon, Bartkowski, Kylington for the projected bottom pairing bottom LD spot (barring the Flames adding any more LD from now until camp).

The odds on Valimaki making the team depends on your opinions of the above 4 d-men and Valimaki.
I won't rule out the possibility, as sometimes these kids surprise at camp.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-21-2017 at 05:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #33
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Valuemaki!

I'll see myself out.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 06:47 PM   #34
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

once we missed on Suzuki, i was pretty bummed...

but reading more about Juuso, I think it actually a great pick...

thrilled that we have him signed so quickly too
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #35
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pity the Foo who thinks this was a bad draft pick.

Wait, what?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #36
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Looking at it logically, the only way the Flames keep him up this season is if he earns a top 6 D spot out of camp. Can't be the 7d as the Flames will likely want him playing games rather than scratched for most of the season.

Looking at the Flames LD safe to say it is very unlikely he will be better than Giordano or Brodie.

Which means he needs to beat out Kulak, Wotherspoon, Bartkowski, Kylington for the projected bottom pairing bottom LD spot (barring the Flames adding any more LD from now until camp).

The odds on Valimaki making the team depends on your opinions of the above 4 d-men and Valimaki.
I won't rule out the possibility, as sometimes these kids surprise at camp.
Plus the Flames can only slide that extra year on his contract if he plays less than 10 games with the big club. He would have to be pretty awesome to make them forego that option.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:58 AM   #37
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kulak, Wotherspoon, Bartkowski, Kylington or Valimaki vying for 1 spot on D... That's going to be a fun battle to watch in camp!
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:36 AM   #38
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Kulak, Wotherspoon, Bartkowski, Kylington or Valimaki vying for 1 spot on D... That's going to be a fun battle to watch in camp!
+ Anderson
Willi Plett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:44 AM   #39
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Capfriendly has confirmed the contract is for $925k + $425k performance bonuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Plus the Flames can only slide that extra year on his contract if he plays less than 10 games with the big club. He would have to be pretty awesome to make them forego that option.
Flames are in win now mode. If Valimaki is better at camp than Kulak/Wotherspoon/Bartkowski/Kylington and they believe he can handle the rigors of a full NHL season, I don't think they hesitate to burn the first year of the contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Plett View Post
+ Anderson
Andersson is a right shot and waiver exempt. Combined with Gulutzan's preference to play Left shots on the left/right shots on the right makes it unlikely he is competing for the 6th/7th spot on D.

He is likely the first call up if one of Hamilton, Hamonic, or Stone get injured.

Also wouldn't be surprised if the Flames add another Right hand shot on a NHL deal to Stockton for more depth on the right side.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:50 AM   #40
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
2 spots technically, no? My thought is that the #6 spot will go to the best player out of camp based on merit, but the #7 spot isn't going to go to a young kid that would be best served by playing lots of minutes in the AHL or junior. For that reason, I think that Bartkowski will be the #7 unless he's severely outplayed by one of the older prospects.

Kylington isn't a guy you can trust in the NHL yet due to his decision making. Andersson might be ready this year, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to have him start the year in the AHL unless he's lights out in camp and clearly head and shoulders above the rest.

You also have to consider who can pass through waivers and who cannot. In that case, guys like Kulak and Wotherspoon should get the longest looks in camp over the younger prospects.

I basically see this as a 3 horse race between Kulak, Wotherspoon, and Bartkowski for 2 spots on the roster. Any and all of those guys could be interchangeable #6/7 guys who can slide in whenever needed.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: