Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Austin Carroll 0 0%
Zach Fischer 1 0.37%
Garnet Hathaway 25 9.16%
Josh Healey 3 1.10%
D'Artagnon Joly 0 0%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Morgan Klimchuk 85 31.14%
Linus Lindstrom 0 0%
Ryan Lomberg 3 1.10%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Mason McDonald 1 0.37%
Adam Ollas-Mattsson 8 2.93%
Matthew Phillips 106 38.83%
Brett Pollock 0 0%
Daniel Prybil 3 1.10%
Rushan Rafikov 0 0%
Adam Ruzicka 1 0.37%
Nick Schneider 0 0%
Hunter Shinkaruk 25 9.16%
Hunter Smith 1 0.37%
Fililp Sveniingsson 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 3 1.10%
Tyler Wotherspoon 8 2.93%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2017, 09:43 AM   #21
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Down to Shinky or Klimchuk for me. I see Shinky with more upside still with an NHL release that he just hasn't figured out how to use in the NHL.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #22
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Wow the shine is off Shinkaruk for a lot of you eh? He was rated quite highly last year. Had a good finish to the year. Not saying he should necessarily go here but it's funny to see nary a mention of him in the thread so far.
Yeah. He went from playing with the NHL club at the end of '15-'16 (and then, only a team that had offloaded vets and wasn't exactly putting every effort into winning hockey games) to struggling with the AHL club for a good portion of the year. That's a troubling trend for me. Still lots of upside, but I need to see some progression first.

From here, I probably go Wotherspoon, Shinkaruk, Phillips. I'm with you on not buying into Phillips until he shows he can put up numbers in the pro game.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #23
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Phillips then Klimchuk then Shinkaruk. I understand that Hathaway is close to the NHL, but he's the same age with roughly the same experience as guys like F Hamilton and Hrivik. I think he has to make it this season or else he will not have prospect status and may be looked at as a career tweener.
savardandjokinen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #24
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think much of Shinkaruk as a prospect personally. I don't really want to be so negative on the kid, but I don't see him being a regular in the NHL. He is young, but nothing about him stands out in any way for me. He isn't fast, he isn't skilled enough, he isn't big enough, he isn't feisty enough. He just doesn't seem like 'enough' in any one area. I have him quite low.

I went with Klimchuk here. At this point, a combination of skill and versatility is valuable. Klimchuk is good in all zones, and he has a beautiful wrister. That thing is so fast.

Phillips is still too much of a long shot to me. but he has undeniable skill.

I don't quite agree with the assertion that Hamilton is replacement level. I mean, I think his ceiling is that of a 4th liner who can MAYBE step into the third line to fill-in for injuries, but that's about it. What he does excel at is driving the opposition nuts. That's useful. If you can get Brent Burns off the ice for 5 minutes, that carries some value in my opinion. He is good defensively, he is physical and he isn't slow. I think he is trending to be an 'above average 4th liner' that a team is glad to have. I am just not sure where to rank him.

Wotherspoon is super steady in the AHL. I think he just lacks some consistency in the NHL (as does Kulak).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #25
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Yeah. He went from playing with the NHL club at the end of '15-'16 (and then, only a team that had offloaded vets and wasn't exactly putting every effort into winning hockey games) to struggling with the AHL club for a good portion of the year. That's a troubling trend for me. Still lots of upside, but I need to see some progression first...
Yeah, the issue I have with Shinkaruk is the same concerning trend that has been an issue since before he was drafted. He seems to struggle quite a bit with maintaining a modicum of consistency at ANY level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #26
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Klimchuk
Shinkaruk
Pribyl
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #27
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Voted Klimchuk, but next up will be slightly-off-the-board pick Wotherspoon. I think he has been largely written off by fans, but the fact that he was re-signed makes me think he still has a chance to make it as early as this year.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #28
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Keep voting folks ... won't call on a smallish gap or only 199 votes
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #29
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Very good sign to the club's depth that there is an argument between players with upside at 14, usually this is a spot for the Culkin's and Arnold's of the world.

Noticed three years ago this is exactly where Kulak and Ferland came in though, these players are far from written off.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:22 AM   #30
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hathaway because I think he consistently cracks our lineup and contributes this year. Low upside but he has already made an impact on quite a few NHL games with his style.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:14 PM   #31
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is about where Valimaki should have been. Phillips, and I don't consider him a major prospect.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 02:38 PM   #32
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
This is about where Valimaki should have been. Phillips, and I don't consider him a major prospect.
Wait, what? You only consider Valimaki the 14th best prospect in the organization. Lower than the regressing and recovering alcoholic Emile Poirier? I know I'm asking for trouble, but what the hell does your ranking list look like?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #33
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last I heard Klimchuk has another concussion, so he's lower on my list. Shinkaruk didn't impress at all when he got called up. I like Phillips but he's a long shot. My vote goes to Wotherspoon as defencemen are more valuable than forwards.

Last edited by Vulcan; 07-22-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #34
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by new era View Post
this is about where valimaki should have been. Phillips, and i don't consider him a major prospect.
rofl
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post: