Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Flames Gaudreau: Flames have 3 year window to do something pretty great

https://www.nhl.com/news/johnny-gaud...?tid=277548856

Quote:
"I think we have three great years ahead of us," Gaudreau said from the Commonwealth Avenue Charity Classic Hockey game at Boston University last Friday. "I'm really looking forward to these next three years."

Gaudreau, who represented Boston College, his alma mater, at the charity game last week, put the opening at three years because the majority of Calgary's core players are signed for the next 2-4 seasons, including defensemen Travis Hamonic and Michael Stone.

Hamonic, acquired from the New York Islanders on June 24, has three years left on his contract. Stone signed a three-year contract with the Flames on June 30. Defenseman TJ Brodie and forwards Michael Frolik and Troy Brouwer have three years left on their contracts.
Quote:
"When you look at a lot of the contracts on our team, a lot of them end in two or three years so that's a window and we can do something pretty great," Gaudreau said. "Who knows, if we do something great in the next three years, maybe guys will want to keep playing with us, keep playing in Calgary and we can keep going. I think it's a great direction."

Gaudreau's optimism comes from Calgary's somewhat surprising success last season, considering expectations under then first-year coach Glen Gulutzan and the additions general manager Brad Treliving made this offseason.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There seems to be a higher commitment and enthusiasm level from Gaudreau this off-season, it's great to see. This team could really use a step up in leadership from him. Not questioning things before but Gaudreau truly "getting it" would be a boon for this team.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #3
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

I like to think the window is larger than 3 years with the young guys we have and Tre negotiating.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Gaudreau: Flames have 3 year window to do something pretty great

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
There seems to be a higher commitment and enthusiasm level from Gaudreau this off-season, it's great to see. This team could really use a step up in leadership from him. Not questioning things before but Gaudreau truly "getting it" would be a boon for this team.

I would agree with this. It really seems like Gaudreau is beginning to become a better leader and a great ambassador to the city and team.

He was here for the stampede parade, he was part of the team in recruiting Foo, he has been making contact both privately and publicly with new team members.

I'm predicting a huge year for Johnny.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly what you want to hear one of your team's stars say ....no one wants to hear "I think we can make some noise in five years". The focus starts now....make it happen Johnny.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I would agree with this. It really seems like Gaudreau is beginning to become a better leader and a great ambassador to the city and team.

He was here for the stampede parade, he was part of the team in recruiting Foo, he has been making contact both privately and publicly with new team members.

Can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if Johnny edged McDavid in points this season?

I think Johnny could achieve 90 pts at his peak and McDavid in a regular or slow year is probably about ppg.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL.com
"Gaudreau's optimism comes from Calgary's somewhat surprising success last season, considering expectations under then first-year coach Glen Gulutzan and the additions general manager Brad Treliving made this offseason.

The Flames were considered underdogs by many but got into the Stanley Cup Playoffs as the first wild card from the Western Conference with 45 wins, including 41 in regulation or overtime, and 94 points, largely because they went 20-9-1 in 30 games after the All-Star break."
Were the Flames really considered "underdogs" by a lot of observers? I recall from the start of last season that most had them taking a big step and competing for a playoff spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

The Foo thing and already being here skating are big things for me. Now it'll be interesting to see which Oiler fan is the first to poo all over this (Oil Stain or Weitz?) but this is a positive step for Gaudreau.

Last season and last training camp was such a disaster for the Flames. Gaudreau hold out, Monahan injured, Versteeg not signed until late. That's the entire first line in game one who didn't skate together once before it. The D pairings were such a mess, that's on Gulutzen but he really wanted to ween off Brodie-Giordano and it sucked but it's paying off now. Our D pairings are already set.

Obviously there will be new and interesting challenges but this team should be able to hit the ground running this year, and not need several weeks to get things together.
The Following User Says Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

We had Alex Singleton on our podcast last night and he talked about the unfortunate horse ride that Johnny took during the Stampede parade that involved falling off of the horse into something unpleasant.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
I like to think the window is larger than 3 years with the young guys we have and Tre negotiating.
I agree, but I like the sense of urgency from a player like Gaudreau. There's no taking for granted that they've got like 8-10 years to get it done. The time is now.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
We had Alex Singleton on our podcast last night and he talked about the unfortunate horse ride that Johnny took during the Stampede parade that involved falling off of the horse into something unpleasant.
That's good luck isn't it?
Charsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #12
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Were the Flames really considered "underdogs" by a lot of observers? I recall from the start of last season that most had them taking a big step and competing for a playoff spot.
https://www.nhl.com/news/2016-2017-p...ts/c-282554762
NHL.com article with 20 analysts on their playoff predictions. Out of the 20 only one had the Flames comfortably in a playoff position with three others as a wildcard spot. Four of 20, I'd say that a good indication of expectations last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #13
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

so this isn't guy from the predators right??

gotta love Johnny!!

i'm sooo looking forward to the season starting - hopefully the flames will have things figured out and get off to a strong start right away. the beginning of last season was tough
Old 07-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #14
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The team looks... how do I say this... ####ing amazing on paper. At every forward position, there are at least three players who could possibly score 40 points this coming season. At left wing, there's Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Versteeg... at centre, there's Monahan, Backlund, Bennett, and Janko as a wildcard... and on the right side, there's Ferland, Frolik, and, hell, even Brouwer. Same goes for the defense.

The cool thing about last year's success is that it came with a TON of players underachieving. Gaudreau, Bennett, Brouwer, even Monahan a little, and Elliott. If even three of those five, or in Elliott's case, one of Smith/Lack, can rebound and have a great year, then the Flames will be off and running.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 07-19-2017 at 01:53 PM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #15
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

All they need is something to bring it all together...

dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #16
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think given our inconsistent performance in the first half of the season labelled us as underdogs, even during our run.

Moving into this season though with our new D-core, I think there are much higher expectations.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #17
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hopefully 30 great years.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #18
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
It could very well be more but our current major window is the next 3 years.

These should be Monahan and Gaudreau's most productive years, majority of our defensemen are all in their prime and major veterans like Frolik, Backlund and Giordano still have years left in them where they perform up to or at least near their contract values.
Not to mention, after 3 years our contract situation will have dramatically changed with the likes of Bennett and Tkachuk likely needing major raises, Frolik, Hamonic, Brodie, Stone and Brouwer all with expiring contracts which is almost about 20.8m in caphit. After that it'll also depend on how well our top prospects will progress because until they do, we're still waiting to shed the ongoing development disappointments of NHL talent outside of high 1st round picks.

So if you were to guess what the Flames would look like in 3 years time, good luck. As of now though, Treliving has basically created his contending team save for some spots here or there (cough goaltending).

All that's left is for the team to execute.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #19
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The pessimist in me looks at a comment like that and thinks that Gaudreau is committed to this team for only another three years. If they don't make any noise between now and then, he'll likely look elsewhere in free agency.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #20
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
The pessimist in me looks at a comment like that and thinks that Gaudreau is committed to this team for only another three years. If they don't make any noise between now and then, he'll likely look elsewhere in free agency.
Well i'm glad he's stuck here for another 5 years then .