Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #101
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Is running bad for your knees and feet due to the impact? No doubt it's great exercise for your heart, but would biking be better?
About six years ago I got back into cycle commuting after a decade off. I had a couple false starts from overdoing it, but now I'm riding as well as I've ever ridden, and putting in 100-120 km a week.

I recently tried getting back into running about after about a decade off, and it's been much tougher. As a guy in his late 40s who's 5-10 lbs overweight, running is tough on the joints. The difference between how running felt 10-15 years ago and how it feels today is dramatic. I've had to take an extremely conservative training regime, and I'm still sore all the time - mainly knees and hips. And I'm not even getting a good a cardio workout (not nearly as good as cycling) because my muscles and joints give out before my wind does.

In my entirely subjective opinion, running relies much more on bio-mechanics that are affected by age and body-type than cycling does. You may be able to ease into a running regime injury-free. But I'd wager you'll have an easier time with cycling.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:14 AM   #102
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I took a week off from running cause of the rain and miscellaneous errands, and had some of my best splits today. Not sure if the break helped or what.

By the way, what do people use for carrying around stuff? I was thinking of an arm band, but that isn't really appealing having the extra weight of stuff on one arm. Are those FlipBelts that are advertized any good? Really just need something for wallet, keys, and phone.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:57 AM   #103
Knut

Exp:

I am trying to get into running.

I can basically go for an hour on the Elliptical at a fast rate of speed, but tire out after 2 KM's running. Is it a pace issue?

I am also more of a sprinter/interval runner, than a distance runner.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:05 AM   #104
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I took a week off from running cause of the rain and miscellaneous errands, and had some of my best splits today. Not sure if the break helped or what.

By the way, what do people use for carrying around stuff? I was thinking of an arm band, but that isn't really appealing having the extra weight of stuff on one arm. Are those FlipBelts that are advertized any good? Really just need something for wallet, keys, and phone.
I don't usually go far from home, but you could probably reduce your weight by just bringing ID and a credit card, and a single house key. I run with a little clip on MP3 player instead of a phone.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #105
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't usually go far from home, but you could probably reduce your weight by just bringing ID and a credit card, and a single house key. I run with a little clip on MP3 player instead of a phone.

Yeah, this is part of my after-work routine, so I need some of these things with me during the day, and I have gotten it as minimal as I can get it. It's not really the weight though either. My current pack is just too ungainly., even though it has some good padding, the straps are always in need of adjustment or just flapping around and being annoying. And on that note. How does one cut down nylon straps so that they don't fray at the ends?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 07:15 AM   #106
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah I see. For cutting nylon, put some tape around where you want to cut. Cut it, then melt it with a lighter. You can also use a soldering iron if you have one to cut and seal at the same time.

What you really need is bright pink fanny pack.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 08:35 AM   #107
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
yes, the FlipBelt works, it's the only solution I've found that can carry wallet, keys, phone and holds them tight enough to your body such that nothing is jiggling around. how it works is you stuff your things into the belt slits (it will stretch wide enough for even a jumbo phone) and then turn it inside out so that the openings are facing your body. there's even a little hook on the inside for your keys if you're extra paranoid.

the one thing to pay attention to is sizing. if you get the right size for your body type, it should stay comfortably around the top of your hips. too tight and it probably will be uncomfortable in that position and make you wear it higher up around your abdomen. too loose and it will migrate upwards as you run.

I've tried other things like arm bands and shorts/shirts with zipper pockets, and this is the one I've stuck with for the past couple of years.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #108
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I am trying to get into running.

I can basically go for an hour on the Elliptical at a fast rate of speed, but tire out after 2 KM's running. Is it a pace issue?
I've always had an issue with about the first 2 KM of any run. Maybe I just don't warm up properly or something, but I'm never quite comfortable for that first couple of kilometres, but I did find that I can (very usually) push through it and afterwards the run gets 'easier.' The people I run with don't seem to have that issue, but maybe you're like me and just need to push yourself through it.

But when it comes to pace, a lot of trainers agree that there is a huge benefit of running at an easy pace for the vast majority of your running pretty much regardless of reason for running. Unless you're doing a specific training run or racing, you'll probably want to run at a speed that you can comfortably keep a conversation going if you were running with someone. It can actually be quite "hard" to keep that slow pace up if you're not use to it.

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fi...aster-20140923
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #109
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I've always had an issue with about the first 2 KM of any run. Maybe I just don't warm up properly or something, but I'm never quite comfortable for that first couple of kilometres, but I did find that I can (very usually) push through it and afterwards the run gets 'easier.' The people I run with don't seem to have that issue, but maybe you're like me and just need to push yourself through it.

But when it comes to pace, a lot of trainers agree that there is a huge benefit of running at an easy pace for the vast majority of your running pretty much regardless of reason for running. Unless you're doing a specific training run or racing, you'll probably want to run at a speed that you can comfortably keep a conversation going if you were running with someone. It can actually be quite "hard" to keep that slow pace up if you're not use to it.

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fi...aster-20140923
I feel the same way. First 1-2 km are always the hardest for me.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #110
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I feel the same way. First 1-2 km are always the hardest for me.

Yup. The first 1-2 are a lie. Hurray for negative splits!
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #111
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh god... that was miserable. No beeeze and just sun beating down along nose creek through confluence park.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #112
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default CP running thread

10x hill repeats for me. 200m, 8.5% grade.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #113
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have seen these old guys sprinting up and down the embankment underneath the Beddington Tr. flyover. That's kind of intense, I think.

Also, Strava gear grinder - some guys seem to run with multiple devices or have multiple accounts under the same name. Annoying when they take up multiple places for certain segments. But at the same time, why do I care? I shouldn't be competitive about it. Why do you those little trophies have to be so addicting?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:43 AM   #114
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure some of you guys can relate; some impressive word smithing in this story as well.

The anniversary of crapping my pants on the run: http://citiusmag.com/####ting-my-pants-on-the-run/

Edit: looks like the swear filters are removing some of the link. Just replace the pound signs with what you know is actually going on there. Link is safe.

Last edited by Ironhorse; 07-24-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:01 PM   #115
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sadly yes. Unfortunate incident of actually making it all the way home but forgetting the house keys, and losing it right at the front door. Cowered in the backyard, unable to do anything because of the balconies that all have a view into my yard, until my family came home. It was a demoralizing day. Thankfully my kids were too young to remember, or all of the anti-bullying they learn at school has instilled some empathy, or they are just too embarrassed, either way they haven't said anything.

I have a keypad door lock now. Hopefully the batteries don't die suddenly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 07:20 AM   #116
pria(kin)16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Does anyone have recommendations for athletic underwear or compression shorts for running? I'm getting back into running and the chafing sucks, haha. Thanks!
pria(kin)16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #117
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I have signed up to run a leg of the Grizzly Ultra Marathon in October..

Need to start training big time.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:39 PM   #118
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I have a keypad door lock now. Hopefully the batteries don't die suddenly.
We have a lockbox with a key in it as a backup to our keypad lock.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #119
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
We have a lockbox with a key in it as a backup to our keypad lock.
Where do you keep the key for the lockbox?
Old 07-27-2017, 03:46 PM   #120
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the jewelry inside your house?
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote