Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #41
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So am I the only one that loves the morning show? Rhett is radio gold, and the chemistry with him and the other two is damn near perfect. I podcast it daily, and REALLY enjoy it.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Incogneto For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #42
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

The morning show is great. It is the afternoon show that is intolerable.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #43
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I thought Richards was great when I was 19 and thought subtle and not so subtle racism, homophobia, and misogyny were funny, but a lot of those bits have not aged well at all.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #44
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I really like Kerr, I think he is insightful and is really good at interviewing guests. I hated Richard's interviewing - he seemed to want to tell his own stories more than let the guests speak. Mike had some good bits but they really started to grate after a while.
Oh man I couldn't disagree more. Personally I can't stand Kerr and I think his interviews are awful. Kerr is a guy that likes to hear himself talk imo. He and Steinberg are such an annoying combo.

While I find the morning show to be entertaining at times I do get sick or the arrogance displayed by Boomer. They often get way off topic talking about nothing related to sports and then mock the testers that want sports talk. I wish there was a TSN option in Calgary that I could tune into.

I doubt Richards comes back but if he did the afternoon is the time slot that needs the boost
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #45
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a big fan of Mike Richards. I loved his stuff in the early days, but I grew tired of it. I was glad when he left 960. Some of his stuff is really not acceptable in today's society anymore. I wouldn't be opposed to him coming back if he could clean up his material and make it a bit more mature but I'm not sure if that is his style.

I like Boomer, but he's not perfect either as he too has some annoying qualities. I still think I'd take Boomer over Richards right now, but maybe Richards has refined his act a bit and I'd have to hear something recent to get a better idea on what he's like now. Richards did come across as though he had a huge knowledge base of most sports, but he was trying to be a comedian who talked sports. Boomer is trying to be a sports show guy who tries to make the show funny. I actually liked Boomer better when he was on with Kerr in the afternoons.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #46
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by williplett View Post
well there is dead air on 960 from 10am to noon that would be perfect.
lol.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was his contract terminated due to smuggling drugs?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:22 PM   #48
carom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I haven't listened to the morning show or the fan960 much in years but I still have the "windshield washer fluid" song pop in my head every once in a while. Good times
dear god is he 14?
carom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #49
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure Boomer wouldn't even follow hockey if it wasnt a requirement of his job.

I listen to quite a bit of 1260 and Oilers fans are actually pretty lucky to have a radio station that has very knowledgeable hosts. Obviously they are Homer's but they don't have to force the hockey talk like the 960 morning show.

The 960 afternoon shows know hockey but the hosts get nauseating after a short while.

And for the love of God stop playing Jim Rome for 2 hours every day. I instantly switch or turn the radio off at 10am.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #50
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliPlett View Post
Well there is dead air on 960 from 10am to noon that would be perfect.
Was scrolling through the thread to find just this. Jim Rome is far and away the worst thing on the station.

This way, I could at least listen to the Fan all day, instead of having to turn it off between 10 and 12.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #51
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Boomer and Rhett are mind-numbingly stupid.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #52
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe Richards could get Kipper to call in again.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #53
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the morning show is in a good place right now. Between the time after Richards left and the current 3 hosts, there was a stretch where the morning show was just awful. I think it was Rick Lafitte who hosted it, and it was terrible. Rick seems like a nice enough guy, but he is not suited for radio. Just super vanilla, monotone, and with no personality whatsoever.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #54
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm no fan of Jim Rome either. I'd like to see the morning show run right through the morning until noon.

While I think the morning crew are all pretty good, I too would like to hear more hockey, especially on game days. If they properly set the game up, they would have no trouble filling time. The return of Friedman is great.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Southside For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #55
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Was scrolling through the thread to find just this. Jim Rome is far and away the worst thing on the station.

This way, I could at least listen to the Fan all day, instead of having to turn it off between 10 and 12.
Wait a second....

You mean to tell me.... that.....

you don't like Jim Rome? ....

Jim Rome.

You don't like Jim Rome.

One of the most.... if not the most.... syndicated sports radio show. In all of North America.

North America.....

You don't like Jim Rome?

How can you not like Jim Rome?

His show is.....

The Jim Rome Show. Everybody listens to the Jim Rome Show.

Everybody.

Well, not everybody....

but you get my point.

Jim.....

Rome....

Is heard everywhere.....

There's a reason why The Jim Rome Show

is so widely syndicated.

You don't like Jim Rome?

Jim Rome?
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #56
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I think the morning show is in a good place right now. Between the time after Richards left and the current 3 hosts, there was a stretch where the morning show was just awful. I think it was Rick Lafitte who hosted it, and it was terrible. Rick seems like a nice enough guy, but he is not suited for radio. Just super vanilla, monotone, and with no personality whatsoever.
I already forget. Was Lafitte the co-host to Richards?

Who all was on Mike Richards show? I completely forget.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #57
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the afternoon show has some pretty good guests though. Love the East West hotstove segments. Wish they wouldn't have that one advanced analytics guy on so much though. Everytime I hear his voice, he reminds me of that dude from Storage Wars.

They just have to improve on Steinberg and Kerr. Steinberg still does that real annoying thing where he lingers on the beginning of a word for too long. Don't know how to describe it exactly but it'd be something like "TTTThhe Flames are on a vvvvery good run. Llllets hope that they can keep it going."
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #58
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don't know which I like the least, Kerr's playing-the-contrarian and then folding at the first sign at resistance or framing it as "I'm just putting it out there! I'm just saying! People are talking Pat, people!"

or Pat's playing-the-contrarian and immediately getting upset, especially when it has to do with the NHL rulebook which he knows nothing about.

It's kind of funny that the only guy with an even average ability to be entertaining, informative and opinionated without being overbearing is Rhett Warrener.
This is a perfect quote - I just naturally read this in Kerr's voice and it was bang on.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #59
Ardor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
There's something about Kerr that irks me. I don't know if it's his over-the-top fake niceness or what. I always feel there's this air of arrogance that he's trying to mask. Could be wrong, as I don't know the guy personally, but that's how he seems to me anyways.

So this is something that I keep trying to come to grips with, but struggle to: when your livelihood is predicated on people listening to your voice, please, for the love of all things decent, CLEAR YOUR THROAT when you're 'spit-gurgling' like you're under water! At that point, no matter how good the quality of the content is, I'm out.
I sort of feel bad, 'cause he probably has no idea he does it. It's like one of those petty Seinfeld 'relationship deal breaker' things for me. (sorry Rob)
Ardor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ardor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #60
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardor View Post
So this is something that I keep trying to come to grips with, but struggle to: when your livelihood is predicated on people listening to your voice, please, for the love of all things decent, CLEAR YOUR THROAT when you're 'spit-gurgling' like you're under water! At that point, no matter how good the quality of the content is, I'm out.
I sort of feel bad, 'cause he probably has no idea he does it. It's like one of those petty Seinfeld 'relationship deal breaker' things for me. (sorry Rob)

OMG, this is bang on dude!
Scary Eloranta is offline   Reply With Quote