Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #6921
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Edmonton is No Good Episode 4: New Rink, Same Stink

There is much outrage to outright denial about McPotato's rumoured contract ask at $14 m. One of my favourite responses for pure hilarity is the occasional quip that if he and Draisaitl combine for over $18 m it will result in their winning only one Stanley Cup with the Oilers as opposed to multiple championships.

It is astonishing especially given their recent track record how readily Oilers fans and media sycophants speak about inevitable championships. Are there other teams that do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 06-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #6922
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
Isn't Yamamoto being compared Gaudreau? I wonder how the Oiler fans are reacting to that?
The only comparison between Yamamoto and Gaudreau is size. Gaudreau was 10 times the player Yamamoto is at the same age. Gaudreau has been dominant at every level he's played at. Yamamoto is a skilled player, but no where near as dynamic or controlling of the play. Completely different players. Yamamoto is years away from playing in the NHL if he ever plays at all. I don't see the same speed or hockey sense that Gaudreau displays on the ice. With the size challenge facing Yamamoto, he really is a swing for the fences pick. On first blush, and recognizing the incredible scouting prowess of the Oilers, this pick seems like a pop-up to the infield.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #6923
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
Beetlejuice, Bigfoot, Wendy and all the other wack-packers are dumb and as a result, hilarious.
I equate them to Stauffer, Gregor, Tencer, Spector etc
the edmonton wack pack...yes...but the comparison is still upsetting.
The Following User Says Thank You to ricoFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 12:30 AM   #6924
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
Yup, I hope 30 other GM's had a conference call, and they are all drafting up the 7 year $59.5 Million contract offers.
Me and my friends always joke about how NHL GMs probably have two WhatsApp chat groups - 1 with all GMs and 1 with everyone except Chiarelli.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #6925
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That was a lot of fan fiction.
I enjoyed how he got so excited that he couldn't even do math correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 06-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #6926
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan Rishaug@TSNRyanRishaug
My understanding is Oil would like to bring Gryba back, have had some early discussions. His size/grit will draw some interest from others.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #6927
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Me and my friends always joke about how NHL GMs probably have two WhatsApp chat groups - 1 with all GMs and 1 with everyone except Chiarelli.
Meanwhile Benning hasn't figured out how to use the app store.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 10:18 AM   #6928
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I like how on the other forum how Coiler fans are coming to realize that McJesus will probably and should get in the $14 million per year range and unless he takes a discount that the Coiler fans are expecting in the sub $10 million per year range they are screwed cap wise!

I sure hope the McJesus camp doesn't cave and take any discount to help the Oilers out. He should always remember he is only 1 hit away from a career ending injury and if he left a bunch if money on the table, he would be a fool!
The Following User Says Thank You to Realistic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #6929
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I love how the Oilers fans on HFboards are convinced that the team will be trading Russell after this season or next when their defensive prospects are ready (what prospects?), because teams will be lining up to offer assets for a $4-million player that 29 teams weren't willing to sign to a 1-year contract 12 months ago.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #6930
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post
I like how on the other forum how Coiler fans are coming to realize that McJesus will probably and should get in the $14 million per year range and unless he takes a discount that the Coiler fans are expecting in the sub $10 million per year range they are screwed cap wise!

I sure hope the McJesus camp doesn't cave and take any discount to help the Oilers out. He should always remember he is only 1 hit away from a career ending injury and if he left a bunch if money on the table, he would be a fool!
McDavid and his agent are in the total power position of this negotiation

1) Multiple Awards
2) The player valuation, the NHL and the Oilers have said that he's a billion dollar player
3) The percentage of offense that the Oilers bought
4) They made the playoffs when he was healthy.
5) The contracts given to guys like Kopitar, Kane, Toews.
6) The trade off of UFA years in this contract.
7) The ability to hold out
8) The sheer stupidity of Chia not signing Draisaitl until Conner's deal is done.

Add in

1) Pressure from the NHLPA to set the next generation of superstar salaries
2) The pressure from the Oilers fanbase

I still expect a number between 12 and 13 million and about a 5 year term here. If the Oilers want to buy UFA years then I expect the number will be max.

I also expect that Chia put out the panicky we'll match any number on a predatory offer to Drai to be based on the whole where there's smoke there's fire and some teams might be thinking about it

Montreal could look at it as they probably have one more year of Price at worst
Las Vegas could decide to make a splash
The New York Islanders suddenly have all of these draft picks
Buffalo could also look at it

I wouldn't be surprised if the McDavid thing drags out for a while and his camp puts a deadline of the opening day of training camp for negotiations, and if they fall through they'll start over next July and if Connor has a strong season and the cap goes up due to Vegas revenue god help the Oilers.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 06-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #6931
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
I love how the Oilers fans on HFboards are convinced that the team will be trading Russell after this season or next when their defensive prospects are ready (what prospects?), because teams will be lining up to offer assets for a $4-million player that 29 teams weren't willing to sign to a 1-year contract 12 months ago.
I think Russell on a 3 million contract could be a trade asset. Russell at 4 million not so much unless the Oilers eat cap space.

I would expect that the Oilers are out of the free agent game for the next couple of years unless they trade a major piece, and outside of Draisaitl, their high dollar major pieces just aren't that appealing.

If the Oilers don't get Draisaitl and McDavid under contract here soon then they really don't know their salary structure for this year and probably won't be able to buy talent this year.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 06-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #6932
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
Schultz, Davidson, Reinhart...
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #6933
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think Russell on a 3 million contract could be a trade asset. Russell at 4 million not so much unless the Oilers eat cap space.

I would expect that the Oilers are out of the free agent game for the next couple of years unless they trade a major piece, and outside of Draisaitl, their high dollar major pieces just aren't that appealing.

If the Oilers don't get Draisaitl and McDavid under contract here soon then they really don't know their salary structure for this year and probably won't be able to buy talent this year.
The last year of Russel's contract would be a 1.5 million dollar payroll with a 4 mil cap hit which is perfect for the budget teams. I think the last two years would be about 5.5million. It is a very tradable contract for non cap teams and structured well. Its still a bad deal but was well structured.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #6934
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

THe math implies that within two seasons RNH, Kassian, Letestu and Maroon will no longer be with the team and will be replaced by $1-2m scrubs
Old 06-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #6935
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The last year of Russel's contract would be a 1.5 million dollar payroll with a 4 mil cap hit which is perfect for the budget teams. I think the last two years would be about 5.5million. It is a very tradable contract for non cap teams and structured well. Its still a bad deal but was well structured.
Maybe, but typically the budget teams are on many no-trade lists.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #6936
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Ryan Rishaug@TSNRyanRishaug
My understanding is Oil would like to bring Gryba back, have had some early discussions. His size/grit will draw some interest from others.
Please do. Give him the exact same contract as Russell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

I dont think thats being very realistic.

What did Crosby sign for? something like 17-20% of the cap at the time? I think thats a more reasonable benchmark.

I hope they enjoyed the playoffs last year because its probably going to be a while.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-26-2017, 04:18 PM   #6937
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apparently, the entire Edmonton Oilers' organizational structure was spotted driving down McLeod trail earlier this afternoon...

https://twitter.com/660newstraffic/s...60470079475712

Old 06-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #6938
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDLT will get $12.5 x 5years or $14 x 8 years, that's my prediction and would absolutely be a hometown discount. Anyone who calls that greedy has no clue, if he wanted to be greedy he could wait a year and get $15 x 4.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #6939
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shout out to the Oiler GM's past accomplishments:

Quote:
D'Arcy McGrath Retweeted Ian McLaren‏Verified account @iancmclaren 16h16 hours ago

After not qualifying Joe Morrow, the Bruins officially have 0 players directly involved in the Tyler Seguin trade. coolcoolcool
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #6940
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the Oilers were prioritizing getting McDavid's contract? Taking longer than expected but $14 million/season player/agent expectations will do that. Funny thing is that Oilers fans at HF refuse to acknowledge any possibility that he's going to get paid near this much. Expecting him to sign for 8 x $12 million and Drasaitl to now accept a 3 x $5 bridge deal is as pie in the sky as you can get.

Going to be hard for the Oilers to be players for anyone in free agency until they can get those two contracts done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread