Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #6361
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
He has already maxed his bonus so winning trophies won't matter. Oilers are looking at about a $300k overage for next year.
This article from March says that they were looking at a million dollar overage.
http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...ers-salary-cap

So that will definitely come out of next year's cap.

Not sure if there are more overages from the playoff run, but it seems like it is at least a million bucks.

As for Leon, his agent would be crazy to sign before other teams can get in on the bidding. However, to another posters post, a 63 million over 7 year contract would be 4 1st round picks. You divide the total amount by 5 years or the number of years in the deal, whatever is lower.

A more interesting offer for the Oilers would be 30 million over 4 years, that would give them a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd for compensation, or they would have Leon locked down for 4 more years at 7.5 million and then he would be a UFA.

A 2 year deal, first year being 6 million and second year being 9 million is also an interesting deal. Compensation would still be a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd, but the qualifying offer after year two to maintain his rights would be 9.9 million dollars.

There are a lot of neat offer sheet options that hopefully teams pursue.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #6362
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
you've gathered all that from living a whole 6 months there? lmao

yeah I dream of being stuck on the Deerfoot at 5PM on a Tuesday looking west

Newsflash: many factors are in play when choosing a city...things like cost of living, jobs, traffic congestion, green space, sense of community, our city not turning into Detroit when oil prices drop below $50/barrel

you enjoy fighting the tourists and congestion in Canmore and Banff? good for you, not everyone does

and Oilers fans are considered smug and arrogant...lmao

as for the Oilers...so good the narrative has changed from "they'll be out of the playoff race by November/December/January/February/March/April"....to "they got lucky with a soft schedule!" to "the cap will kill them, just watch!"

lol
Interesting...this recent report from Feb 2017 seems to think you are stuck in traffic more on average in Edmonton, City of Champions, than in Calgary.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3261815/canada-worst-traffic/

Let's try to do little research before throwing out baseless facts pal.

Last edited by Since1984; 05-15-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #6363
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
And if you don't believe that many people, for reasons all their own, would consider Edmonton a better city, as many people do Calgary, then you need to open your mind.
Don't know about others, but I'll take mountains 10 times out of 10 (looking at them right now). I can get in my car and drive 40 minutes to my favourite hiking trail up 1300 feet.

To each their own, but there's a reason some big movies come to film down here (Inception, The Revenant). We have an awesome backyard. Edmonton is everywhere else in the prairies, just bigger and more urine-y apparently. (your media wrote that, not us!)

If people prefer that then well then I guess they like must concrete and prairies a lot. But not like that's unique to Edmonton. And no, neither is a river.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-15-2017 at 01:47 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #6364
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
Nice to see how well versed you still are in random irrelevant arguments, while still proving how pathetically smug & arrogant you are by repeatedly posting on a Calgary website in a thread about how Edmonton is No Good.

What should we discuss here? How Edmonton is stupendous? How Calgary is inferior? Tell us oh pathetic one. Or which Oiler sites should we troll?

1. The Deerfoot, Banff, or Canmore were never mentioned. Again, more baseless lies from a guy supporting the Donald Trump franchise of the NHL that broke the Draft Lottery odds... twice.

Grab a map, or you know... your phone might have a map on it as well. There are literally endless places to go in the mountains besides Banff & Canmore. But I guess not if you're an Oiler sloth & need to be around others to spout your baseless opinion in a commercial setting.

2. If you actually think traffic on the Deerfoot is bad, you're a more clueless hick than I even imagined.

My family has the CHOICE to live anywhere in the country or the planet & we chose Calgary because it has the highest affordable quality of life in the country & actually has an active vibrant community lifestyle & spirit that takes advantage of its world class geography.

I've lived in other parts of the country my entire life & we CHOSE Calgary based on these factors. Edmonton is a hot wasteland with nothing we found appealing.

3. Nice to see you're still delusional that all of the positive things that went the Oilers way this season had NO bearing on their performance.

They're amazing, the cap will gave no effect, neither will a drop in anyone's play, more injuries? big deal, harder schedule? no problem.

But please reply, with more baseless random irrelevant arguments to prove what a insecure fan you are posting on a Calgary website, defending your pathetic fandom.

You can't help it, you know you're addicted to the drama you bring here. For the rest of us, it's actually not drama, just comedy.

Or we can just wait until the Oinkers fail again, & you crawl back under whatever bridge you came out of.

You know... you're ALWAYS here pontificating when the Oilers are sliding into their wasteland of ineptitude.

Except... you aren't as you show up with your cherry picking, chicken hawk, meat head posts repeatedly when the narrative suits them.

Save us some time & email your thoughts to Spector & the OEG polit bureau.
if I'm an insecure poster, then this whole thread is full of insecure Flames fans...
maybe that's why I'm so fascinated with this thread...the fact most posters here think Calgary is sooo much better than Edmonton yet cannot stop talking about the Oilers nor putting the city down to make them feel better about themselves...and it's the same old tired cliches we've heard for years

it's equal parts sad and fascinating to me

I mean, you don't see these kind of threads on any of the Oiler boards because Oilers fan just don't care enough...about the Flames or Calgary.

anyways, keep up your sad pathetic insults towards me and the Oilers and Edmonton....makes you look childish
Old 05-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #6365
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
if I'm an insecure poster, then this whole thread is full of insecure Flames fans...
maybe that's why I'm so fascinated with this thread...the fact most posters here think Calgary is sooo much better than Edmonton yet cannot stop talking about the Oilers nor putting the city down to make them feel better about themselves...and it's the same old tired cliches we've heard for years

I mean, you don't see these kind of threads on any of the Oiler boards because Oilers fan just don't care enough...about the Flames or Calgary.

anyways, keep up your sad pathetic insults towards me and the Oilers and Edmonton....makes you look childish
Old 05-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #6366
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not sure if this is true or not, I don't frequent rival teams message boards. I find it equal parts sad and fascinating that someone would do so.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #6367
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's a fair argument that it's a sign of insecurity to have a thread like this...but I don't see how it's not an EVEN BIGGER sign of insecurity to sign up on a rival fan site board to take the opposition side on a thread bashing the biggest rival, as if you're going to change anyone's mind on how bad the Oilers and the city of Edmonton are.

No one cares enough about the Flames to start a thread like this on Oilers boards? Cool. However none of us care enough about the Oilers to sign up on one of their boards and start arguing that the Flames are better...

Last edited by DiracSpike; 05-15-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #6368
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Too soon...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #6369
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

You never see Flames fans post in the ATL thread on HF Oilers, where they do the exact same thing.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #6370
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks for proving my point with each and every post you excrete.

It's ok, though, we all get it.. we know the problem you are dealing with. The one that infects your core. The one that causes you to internalize failure and find a release on this site.

Edmonton is No Good.

Keep coming back, this thread is all you have. We're here for your release of no goodness in all its delusional glory.

Clown on, bring the deranged comedy. Really, it's great. Everyone knows an Oiler fan... Just. Like. You. One that we can't stand, but are forced to be around for one reason or another. Your pathetic flailing arguments are all too familiar.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #6371
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
all Chiarelli's teams do is win yet he's at fault for the Hamilton moves (false) and the fact Neely disliked Seguin

Lucic and Sekera are fine and doing their jobs...Lucic was right on par with his previous seasons totals...same with Sekera
both were UFAs, so of course teams "overpay"

Eberle still had a 50 point season despite the no-show in the playoffs...and his contract ends in 2 years...(along with Pouliot, who will be bought-out, buried, whatever)
Nuge is a valuable trading chip due to being a center and still young

and who knows where the cap will be in 2 years? 75 million? 77 million? so many variables in play we can't account for
Sweeney was a rookie GM he did nothing to put Boston in cap hell and not in a position to match an offer sheet that was threatened by rival GM's 2 summers ago. That was the freshly fired Chiarelli.

Say what you will about Lucic or Sekera but those 7 and 6 year deals are going to cause issues for the Oilers down the road. Lucic it is almost undeniable as he looked like he was skating through sand during most of the playoffs.

Oilers would be wise to move Nuge now while they have the chance. Another 40pt season has him labeled as a $6M .5ppg player with multiple years left on his deal.

Eberle is a 50pt winger and nothing else. Doesn't play PK and lost his spot on the PP to a 4th line centre. People talk that he is Vegas bound and the hopeful narrative that he would be "world junior clutch" in the playoffs was snuffed out emphatically this spring. He is not long term pain but his contract does run past the needed McDavid extension.

I forgot about Pouliot and the 2 years left on his albatross deal.

At the end of the day Chiarelli ended what could have been a decade plus long run of the Bruins being contenders due to his horrible mismanagement of the cap
Old 05-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #6372
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
all Chiarelli's teams do is win yet he's at fault for the Hamilton moves (false) and the fact Neely disliked Seguin

Lucic and Sekera are fine and doing their jobs...Lucic was right on par with his previous seasons totals...same with Sekera
both were UFAs, so of course teams "overpay"

Eberle still had a 50 point season despite the no-show in the playoffs...and his contract ends in 2 years...(along with Pouliot, who will be bought-out, buried, whatever)
Nuge is a valuable trading chip due to being a center and still young

and who knows where the cap will be in 2 years? 75 million? 77 million? so many variables in play we can't account for

Seriously guy, now your serious denial or are flat out clueless. Charelli won one cup and then his team was picked apart due to poor cap management, luckily for him he didn't even have to deal with it because by that point he was canned.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:30 PM   #6373
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, Chiarelli didn't win that cup; Tim Thomas did.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #6374
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Sweeney was a rookie GM he did nothing to put Boston in cap hell and not in a position to match an offer sheet that was threatened by rival GM's 2 summers ago. That was the freshly fired Chiarelli.

Say what you will about Lucic or Sekera but those 7 and 6 year deals are going to cause issues for the Oilers down the road. Lucic it is almost undeniable as he looked like he was skating through sand during most of the playoffs.

Oilers would be wise to move Nuge now while they have the chance. Another 40pt season has him labeled as a $6M .5ppg player with multiple years left on his deal.

Eberle is a 50pt winger and nothing else. Doesn't play PK and lost his spot on the PP to a 4th line centre. People talk that he is Vegas bound and the hopeful narrative that he would be "world junior clutch" in the playoffs was snuffed out emphatically this spring. He is not long term pain but his contract does run past the needed McDavid extension.

I forgot about Pouliot and the 2 years left on his albatross deal.

At the end of the day Chiarelli ended what could have been a decade plus long run of the Bruins being contenders due to his horrible mismanagement of the cap
Let's also not forget that the drafting, signings, & trades that pushed the Bruins to another level (Bergeron, Lucic, Marchand, Chara, Kessel etc.) we're all done by Jeff Gorton, NOT Chia.

Chia let Jeff go after a year on the job. He went to the Rangers to help them rise inspite of the Genius of Sather. Chia & his Harvard brain trust managed the assets in place, along with a gift from the Leafs, into cap hell... And this was during a rising, not FLAT, salary cap.

Really he's a moderately more competent Weisbrod. Drafting, signing, & developing players on value contracts is only going to become more, not less important, especially if the cap drops.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #6375
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Well, I am not about to troll other boards to see whether your statement is accurate, but no matter. If what you say is true, the reason you do not find "these kinds of threads" on Oilers boards is because the Oilers have most recently been an historically bad team who endured Leaguewide ridicule for nearly a decade. The genesis of this thread was the Oilers' utter and embarrassing ineptitude that stretched through ten straight seasons of abject failure. There has been nothing quite like it in living memory for most posters here.

No. This thread has nothing to do with any supposed inferiority complex (which actually quite aptly describes the few Oilers fans here who feel it necessary to shriek in protest at every interval to the constant hilarity of this thread). Rather, this thread is all about the spectacularly, obscenely comedic recent history of Oilers debacles. Their's is the sort of infused incompetence that is impossible to ignore or forget in light of a single playoff series win. It is so deeply engrained that even despite their very modest level of success from this year the moniker continues to resound with indelible truth.

But pease, do continue to show up. It helps to remind us all of how unbelievably thin-skinned so many Oilers fans are, and how appropriately they fit the general theme:

Edmonton is no good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 05-15-2017 at 02:47 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #6376
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You don't see those threads on Oilers boards because they're all up in other people's boards either trolling or trying to spread this gospel that everyone should be kneeling and in awe of how great their team is, or how trashy the Flames are. In threads where it has nothing to do with it.

It honestly doesn't get more "insecure" than that. To have to go check up on everyone else like that and try to make things about your team or about how another team sucks compared to your team. After every win this season, I'm pretty sure there was a new attention seeking thread or two on the main board at HF at the very top. Stuff like "Does McDavid get enough appreciation". I mean dear lord. That's why I don't go in there any more.

You're probably fascinated with this thread because it provides the attention your fanbase and media so desperately seek. Yet it frustrates you at the same time that you're starting crap with people in here because it's the kind of attention that makes your team and city look bad. It's probably more frustrating because a lot of it is not untrue and can't be argued lol.

We keep to ourselves. Posting hilariously entertaining dirt on a rival team within the confines of our own board is if anything perfectly acceptable compared to how a lot of Oilers fans go about their business. We don't need to go elsewhere and push our opinions where they aren't wanted or cared for.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #6377
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
Let's also not forget that the drafting, signings, & trades that pushed the Bruins to another level (Bergeron, Lucic, Marchand, Chara, Kessel etc.) we're all done by Jeff Gorton, NOT Chia.

Chia let Jeff go after a year on the job. He went to the Rangers to help them rise inspite of the Genius of Sather. Chia & his Harvard brain trust managed the assets in place, along with a gift from the Leafs, into cap hell... And this was during a rising, not FLAT, salary cap.

Really he's a moderately more competent Weisbrod. Drafting, signing, & developing players on value contracts is only going to become more, not less important, especially if the cap drops.
cool, so MacT Lowe, and Tambellini deserve all the credit for turning the Oilers around...I mean, they drafted Nuge, Eberle, Draisaitl, Klefbom and Nurse...

all that idiot Chia did was bring in a real #1 goalie, a legit top 3 defenseman, a steal in Maroon on a value contract, Kassian who brings grit and offense and schrewed UFA college guys like Benning and Caggulia on cheap contracts that contribute right away and only getting better...

fire him
Old 05-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #6378
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
cool, so MacT Lowe, and Tambellini deserve all the credit for turning the Oilers around...I mean, they drafted Nuge, Eberle, Draisaitl, Klefbom and Nurse...

all that idiot Chia did was bring in a real #1 goalie, a legit top 3 defenseman, a steal in Maroon on a value contract, Kassian who brings grit and offense and schrewed UFA college guys like Benning and Caggulia on cheap contracts and contribute right away and only getting better...

fire him
Honest answer is a lottery ball gets all the credit for turning that team around.

They don't get McDavid, and the rest of what occurs probably doesn't happen. Chia probably doesn't go to Edmonton, no way that guys like Benning or Caggulia go there, and that likely means a lot of the other trades (Talbot, Larsson) don't happen.

They were saved by the McDavid lottery ball - simple as that.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #6379
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verda13 View Post
Yes, that makes much more sense then the narrative I was referring to: "the good thing about Drai doing well this year (or Maroon/McD/Kass etc.) is he's gonna get a raise.. stupid Oilers"
That's just trying to find the silver lining in Draisaitl and Talbot -- but Maroon and any other mediocre player with a good season, I hope they take ChiaPet to the cleaners.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #6380
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Honest answer is a lottery ball gets all the credit for turning that team around.

They don't get McDavid, and the rest of what occurs probably doesn't happen. Chia probably doesn't go to Edmonton, no way that guys like Benning or Caggulia go there, and that likely means a lot of the other trades (Talbot, Larsson) don't happen.

They were saved by the McDavid lottery ball - simple as that.
See that is the thing.

If your average Oiler fan just said "Holy Poop, we were a hot mess until we got lucky and fell a$$backwards into McDavid", I could accept it. But the majority of Oilers fans I know talk like this team was built through hard work, when in actuality the opposite is true.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread