Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-15-2017, 10:18 AM   #6341
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
They are actually at $50 million with 9 F, 5 D, and 2 G signed.
Either way they are....finish this for me, I cant remember how it goes.

Edmonton is....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #6342
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
They are actually at $50 million with 9 F, 5 D, and 2 G signed.
Maybe my math is off, but here's who's signed at the moment

Eberle 6
RNH 6
Lucic 6
Poulliot 4
McDavid 3.75
*JP 3.425
Letestu 1.8
Slepyshev 1.525
Maroonn 1.5
Cagulla 1.35
Total 35.375

Defense

Sekeras 5.5
Klefbom 4.167
Larrson 4.167
Nurse 1.713
Benning 1.075
Total 16.622

Goalies

Talbot 4.150
Broissoit .750

Total 4.917

Others

Fayne 2.725
Korpikoski 1

Total 3.725

total total $60.639

10 forwards
6 defensemen
2 goalies
* if JP makes the team and hits rookie performance bonuses

Expected resignings

Draisaitl 7.5
Kassian 2.5
Russell 4.5

Total 14.5

Total total total ltotal 75.139

Estimated 2017-18 salary cap $76 million

Cap space 861 k

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 05-15-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #6343
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
Additionally, they burned a year on his ELC as well.

At best, the City of Edmonton is a large version of Saskatoon. As far as access to lake country, they're still waaaay behind Saskatoon on that front and will never catch up.

I've visited Calgary all my life & lived here for 6 months now & it's plain as day that Edmonton's hate comes from their massive inferiority complex as a city. Calgary is a picturesque, wild class city on the cusp of a mountain playground. Many people who grew up here or spent a lot of time here forget that at times, until they go to Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina, or Winnipeg. But they don't.

Even in the worst parts of Calgary, when you're stuck in traffic in a crappy light industrial area in the NE (which all cities have) you look at the horizon and have a million dollar view of the mountains. Edmonton has never had this and never will and it directly or indirectly drives them and their loser Oiler fans bananas.

They have a "river valley"!!! Yippie skippy, North Battleford & Prince Albert have the same Valley on the same river as those lucky ducks.

Now that both teams are out of the playoffs, in Calgary take a 45 minute drive and head to any number of parks, streams, trails etc. In Edmonton, take a 45 minute drive & you're 45 minutes closer to Calgary.

Backgammon and ruining the draft odds are the only reason they have been even close to a consistently competitive team throughout their history.
you've gathered all that from living a whole 6 months there? lmao

yeah I dream of being stuck on the Deerfoot at 5PM on a Tuesday looking west

Newsflash: many factors are in play when choosing a city...things like cost of living, jobs, traffic congestion, green space, sense of community, our city not turning into Detroit when oil prices drop below $50/barrel

you enjoy fighting the tourists and congestion in Canmore and Banff? good for you, not everyone does

and Oilers fans are considered smug and arrogant...lmao

as for the Oilers...so good the narrative has changed from "they'll be out of the playoff race by November/December/January/February/March/April"....to "they got lucky with a soft schedule!" to "the cap will kill them, just watch!"

lol
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlbertaOiler72 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #6344
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Maybe my math is off, but here's who's signed at the moment

Snip

Well you are maxing bonus's for every ELC, that would be a very big surprise.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #6345
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post

Newsflash: many factors are in play when choosing a city...things like cost of living, jobs, traffic congestion, green space, sense of community, our city not turning into Detroit when oil prices drop below $50/barrel

you enjoy fighting the tourists and congestion in Canmore and Banff? good for you, not everyone does

as for the Oilers...so good the narrative has changed from "they'll be out of the playoff race by November/December/January/February/March/April"....to "they got lucky with a soft schedule!" to "the cap will kill them, just watch!"

lol
Calgary is turning into Detroit?

lmao

lmao

lol
Old 05-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #6346
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
For which ones, McDavid? Nurse? JP. I think you have to kind of build that into your cushion to be fair.

Plus usually those aren't difficult bonuses to hit.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 05-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #6347
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But you also have to consider the potential bonuses McDavid for winning a major trophy. I think that can add up to 2M for each trophy. Looking at cap friendly it looks like they might already be in overage situation. Will be interesting if The Art Ross and Hart are included in those current figures. The bean counters behind the scenes will probably know a lot more than the public until that info comes out prior to the start of next year.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #6348
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

lol
I love that narrative "...hahaha Edmonton has great players, they are in trouble..."
Old 05-15-2017, 10:49 AM   #6349
CgyFlamesftw
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

lol
This is sad. If you believe Edmonton is a better city you need help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CgyFlamesftw For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #6350
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
But you also have to consider the potential bonuses McDavid for winning a major trophy. I think that can add up to 2M for each trophy. Looking at cap friendly it looks like they might already be in overage situation. Will be interesting if The Art Ross and Hart are included in those current figures. The bean counters behind the scenes will probably know a lot more than the public until that info comes out prior to the start of next year.
He has already maxed his bonus so winning trophies won't matter. Oilers are looking at about a $300k overage for next year.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #6351
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

lol

Being stuck on the Deerfoot is about as fun as being stuck on the Yellowhead at 5:00 pm in a Tuesday. How many lights on that "free way?" At least a dozen.

Speaking about narratives how about "a first overall is a good starting point for a rebuild" to "okay another first overall but we'll be better next year" to "another first, guaranteed playoffs next year" to "adding Draisaitl to our young core, this is a Stanley Cup contender" to McDavid sweepstakes winner, okay this time playoffs are 100% solid" to "Pujuliarvi fell to us, how come we don't have multiple cups yet" to "hey we finally won a playoff round, we're a new dynasty."

Lol.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #6352
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verda13 View Post
I love that narrative "...hahaha Edmonton has great players, they are in trouble..."
Edmonton has great players: mcdavid, probably Talbot, and draisaitl if he can keep it up. That's not the problem (aside from how they got mcdavid). The problem is all the crappy or mediocre players getting paid way more than they're worth (not to mention the kids hyped instead of developed).

And yeah, let's see what happens -- that's what you're ****ing supposed to do. That's why they actually play the bloody games. It's Edmonton fans that keep wanting to play the game on paper, by draft position.

And apologies for not believing Edmonton could make the playoffs at the start of the year. After 10 years of futility we just assumed it could continue on forever.

Last edited by sempuki; 05-15-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:23 PM   #6353
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CgyFlamesftw View Post
This is sad. If you believe Edmonton is a better city you need help.
And if you don't believe that many people, for reasons all their own, would consider Edmonton a better city, as many people do Calgary, then you need to open your mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #6354
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verda13 View Post
How about the narrative that the players that are going to give the Oilers cap trouble are not their good players?

Nuge, Eberle, Lucic, Sekera take up $23.5M and not one is a top line forward or top pairing D.

At the end of the day at least your GM is a wizard at managing the cap. It is not like Boston moved out Seguin and Peverly because of a cap crunch, or forced to move Hamilton because of offer sheet threats.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #6355
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ha ha. Jesus. What do you think happens to Edmonton if things go so bad for Calgary? If Calgary goes the way of Detroit, Edmonton becomes Flint.

The whole thing is connected, eh?

The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #6356
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

lol
Nice to see how well versed you still are in random irrelevant arguments, while still proving how pathetically smug & arrogant you are by repeatedly posting on a Calgary website in a thread about how Edmonton is No Good.

What should we discuss here? How Edmonton is stupendous? How Calgary is inferior? Tell us oh pathetic one. Or which Oiler sites should we troll?

1. The Deerfoot, Banff, or Canmore were never mentioned. Again, more baseless lies from a guy supporting the Donald Trump franchise of the NHL that broke the Draft Lottery odds... twice.

Grab a map, or you know... your phone might have a map on it as well. There are literally endless places to go in the mountains besides Banff & Canmore. But I guess not if you're an Oiler sloth & need to be around others to spout your baseless opinion in a commercial setting.

2. If you actually think traffic on the Deerfoot is bad, you're a more clueless hick than I even imagined.

My family has the CHOICE to live anywhere in the country or the planet & we chose Calgary because it has the highest affordable quality of life in the country & actually has an active vibrant community lifestyle & spirit that takes advantage of its world class geography.

I've lived in other parts of the country my entire life & we CHOSE Calgary based on these factors. Edmonton is a hot wasteland with nothing we found appealing.

3. Nice to see you're still delusional that all of the positive things that went the Oilers way this season had NO bearing on their performance.

They're amazing, the cap will gave no effect, neither will a drop in anyone's play, more injuries? big deal, harder schedule? no problem.

But please reply, with more baseless random irrelevant arguments to prove what a insecure fan you are posting on a Calgary website, defending your pathetic fandom.

You can't help it, you know you're addicted to the drama you bring here. For the rest of us, it's actually not drama, just comedy.

Or we can just wait until the Oinkers fail again, & you crawl back under whatever bridge you came out of.

You know... you're ALWAYS here pontificating when the Oilers are sliding into their wasteland of ineptitude.

Except... you aren't as you show up with your cherry picking, chicken hawk, meat head posts repeatedly when the narrative suits them.

Save us some time & email your thoughts to Spector & the OEG polit bureau.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #6357
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
How about the narrative that the players that are going to give the Oilers cap trouble are not their good players?

Nuge, Eberle, Lucic, Sekera take up $23.5M and not one is a top line forward or top pairing D.

At the end of the day at least your GM is a wizard at managing the cap. It is not like Boston moved out Seguin and Peverly because of a cap crunch, or forced to move Hamilton because of offer sheet threats.
Yes, that makes much more sense then the narrative I was referring to: "the good thing about Drai doing well this year (or Maroon/McD/Kass etc.) is he's gonna get a raise.. stupid Oilers"
Old 05-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #6358
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm very interested to see what happens to Draisatl... I think he's as good of an offersheet candidate as has been seen in recent memory. Question 1: are there teams out there that have room to go 7 x 9 on Draisaitl? Question 2: Does Edmonton match? (compensation 2 1s, a second, and a third.

Maybe an overpayment but what with the recency of the Ducks series, his overall year from World cup to Game7, and the fact that Macdavid started to go with Draisaitl on his line and struggled with other linemates, teams may be very high on him.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #6359
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

all Chiarelli's teams do is win yet he's at fault for the Hamilton moves (false) and the fact Neely disliked Seguin

Lucic and Sekera are fine and doing their jobs...Lucic was right on par with his previous seasons totals...same with Sekera
both were UFAs, so of course teams "overpay"

Eberle still had a 50 point season despite the no-show in the playoffs...and his contract ends in 2 years...(along with Pouliot, who will be bought-out, buried, whatever)
Nuge is a valuable trading chip due to being a center and still young

and who knows where the cap will be in 2 years? 75 million? 77 million? so many variables in play we can't account for
Old 05-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #6360
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Ha ha. Jesus. What do you think happens to Edmonton if things go so bad for Calgary? If Calgary goes the way of Detroit, Edmonton becomes Flint.

The whole thing is connected, eh?
Nope, Edmonton is basically a Government town at this point and at the moment the only people who have any money is the Government, so they're doing fine.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Closed Thread