Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #4501
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

But you know what? Edmonton is no good.
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #4502
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Same could be said about last year's Flames. Miller and Markstrom get the 2016 playoffs to the playoffs easily.
Too bad we didn't have better goaltending last year and make the playoffs. Now all we have to show for it is this legend in the making Tkachuk kid .
Old 03-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #4503
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Too bad we didn't have better goaltending last year and make the playoffs. Now all we have to show for it is this legend in the making Tkachuk kid .
Probably still have Hartley as coach too.

Also, Edmonton is no good.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #4504
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Drewtastic, I didn't read your whole post, but I thanked it because you clearly put alot of effort into it. Well done.

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 08:26 PM   #4505
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Probably still have Hartley as coach too.

Also, Edmonton is no good.
Yeah, missing the playoffs last year could end up being one of the biggest turning points in franchise history, depending on how this rebuild continues to progress.

We basically got a new systems based coach (who is now looking to be top grade), solid to top grade level goaltending and a franchise changing forward in Tkachuk.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #4506
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well to be fair to the Oilers they're about to do something special this year. After their win on Saturday they're one win away from winning more than half their games on the schedule for the first time since 1987-88.

A feat so astonishingly rare that only half the teams in a league can pull this off every year. Something special.

Last edited by kevman; 03-27-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #4507
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Stuck at home so I thought I would leave this here for lulz. I caught this chat on a much smaller lesser known forum than this, HF, or reddit, and the Oilers fanbase delusions run consistent everywhere!

Flames Fan: "Also of note, with Edmonton's win last night, it means they have won at least half their games in a season (41 wins or 24 in a lockout year) for the THIRD time since the 1987-1988 season. The Oilers are also poised to win more games this season than any since the same 87-88 season as they have never won more then 41 games in that 31 year time-period. For comparison, Vancouver has had 15 winning seasons same period, Flames 16, Toronto 8."

Oil Fan: "And yet 5 Cups and they are going to dominate for the next decade because the Oilers have McDavid while your joke team's best player is Backlund"

FF: "Outside of a window from 82-89 the Oilers have been the biggest joke in the NHL. And the only reason they aren't still the biggest joke and get a third winning season is because they got dumb luck on a lottery. Delusional Oilers fan ignore that they had 28 out 31 losing seasons up this current season, because they won 5 cups with the greatest player that ever played 30 years ago and the right plastic balls got picked for them. Oilers aren't dominating anything anytime soon. And while McDavid is better then any Flame, Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie, Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Backlund are better then any Oiler not named McDavid."

OF: "Again it really doesn't matter how many guys the Flames have that are better than our players (even though Talbot and Drai are better than anyone on that joke team). We have McDavid. You don't. You are irrelevant in a comparison as a result. McDavid level players win cups. Teams led by a floating wing and a 50 point possession center get second round exits."

So there you have it, according the Oilers fans, one elite player wins Cups, not depth.

And a bonus quote I caught on the radio last time I was in Edmonton,l for work, when they are in their 2-6 losing skid. From a TSN radio host on 1260, don't know his name but whoever is on around noon.

(Trying to calm panicked fans down after going 2-6)
"I told the fans at the start of the season we're playing with house money this year. And at this point in the season, who would have expected us to be where we are, in a playoff spot in only our second year"

Even professionals up north are drinking the kool-aid, apparently lucking into McDavid erased the prior 9 years of futility in their minds too.

TL/DR: Edmonton is no good
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #4508
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

You want to talk crazy Reddit conversations with Oiler fans? Oh boy, do I have the one for you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comm..._best/dfbjhg4/

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #4509
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Guys! I had an argument with an Oiler friend of mine who said the Oilers were better than the Flames. I said no way, Flames are way better! Came right here to post this to let you all know that we both disagreed with each other and it was awesome
aw I thought it was a good story to share on the delusion in the heads of Oiler's fans.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #4510
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Oilers are indeed no good. Even though they´ve been ahead of us in the standings nearly all year and swept the season series, we have more wins. It´s quite fitting that the Oilers are where they are due to their 5 more loser points than us. The Edmonton Oilers, kings of the loser point.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #4511
Dozer
Draft Pick

It is getting insane, on 1260, this morning they were incredulous that Mclellan and Chia Pet aren't being considered for coach and GM of the year. Last week Gregor was talking about how they can't wait until the penalty calls start going Mcdavid,'s way. Delusional fan base and media.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #4512
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would rather the oilers lose in the first round than have a canadian team win the cup (except us, obvs)

I am in edmonton for work a lot and 1260 is the biggest conor slurpfest you will ever listen to.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #4513
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love reading hfoilers... it's hilarious, some of the things they post and obviously believe are completely disconnected from reality.

As for Gregor... he's like Spector, and Staples, an Oilers shill. Not worth listening to except comedy

Old 03-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #4514
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Dave Randorf on FAN 960 just broke down a potential Oilers/Flames playoff matchup and smartly gave the edge to Calgary on virtue of their superior depth.

Edmonton is no good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #4515
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Who else thinks the playoffs are going to be a rude awakening up there? Get those freight trucks of crow on standby..

That game against the Ducks was a big red flag that they've allowed to go undetected, thanks to a string of wins against non playoff teams. Probably the best measuring stick game of late against an equally rested playoff team fighting head to head with them in the standings and they didn't fare well
Old 03-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #4516
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Who else thinks the playoffs are going to be a rude awakening up there? Get those freight trucks of crow on standby..

That game against the Ducks was a big red flag that they've allowed to go undetected, thanks to a string of wins against non playoff teams. Probably the best measuring stick game of late against an equally rested playoff team fighting head to head with them in the standings and they didn't fare well
Losing 4-3 to a team you embarrassed the last time you were in their rink isn't the end of the world.

The 2 Colorado games would be more concerning.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #4517
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Losing 4-3 to a team you embarrassed the last time you were in their rink isn't the end of the world.

The 2 Colorado games would be more concerning.
4-5-1 with only three regulation wins in their past ten against playoff bound teams should be of some concern. Of course, I expect the Oilers and their fans to pat themselves on the back for winning a game in Anaheim in January. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 03-27-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:22 PM   #4518
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the biggest concern at the moment should be the recent play of Cam Talbot, he certainly is showing signs of fatigue and who can blame him.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #4519
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

He just needs to start eating better again. Also, using sleep as a weapon wouldn't hurt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #4520
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure where to put this, but here seems to be as good a place as anywhere. Did anyone catch Terry Jones article in the Sun yesterday about the new Mosaic Stadium in Sask? It pissed me off to no end! This is how he started his article, and I quote..."If it's not enough that Calgary has a colossal case of arena envy when it comes to Rogers Place in Edmonton, now Cowtown has to deal with some mammoth stadium envy over the new Mosaic Stadium here.
Get bent, Jones, you sad excuse for a journalist!!! Our arenas and stadiums might not be as new and shiny as the ones in Mullettown and Hicksville, but at least we have watched competitive sports teams in our older venues as opposed to the sad excuses for hockey teams and football teams that fans in your city and Hicksville have had to endure!!
And the fact we have to read this drivel and some crap about Eberle playing his 500th game as an Oiler in the "Calgary." Sun!! Save that crap for Mullettowns local rag!!!

Last edited by Rejean31; 03-27-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Closed Thread