Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #1941
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Somewhere in past seasons somebody said that it would be suicide to meet a Dorthaki horde in open combat. It might have been Robert in season 1. If you've got a massive army of the most feared open field combatants in the world I would say that is very useful. If nobody wants to fight you they sit in their castles, how long will a siege last with a dragon melting the stone? Can't beat them on the field, can't wait them out in our castles. We surrender. A dragon wouldn't be as effecient in open field combat as his dragon fire is limited to swaths whereas the armies will be constantly moving and wheeling into different formations. Still a great tool and a huge leg up, but some of these armies are over 100k strong, I don't think even with Danny's combined forces she has that many troops. If I remember right the Lannisters had 60k men before the battle of the Blackwater and then they were joined by the Tyrells after the fact. And with enough arrows even the toughest dragon will go down to 100k.

The dragons are a massive tool and very useful for Danny, but she can't conquer seven kingdoms with just three dragons.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #1942
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Lannisters don't have the Tyrells any more. The Queen of Thornes is very motivated at destroying Cersie.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #1943
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
The Lannisters don't have the Tyrells any more. The Queen of Thornes is very motivated at destroying Cersie.
Right good catch, so remove that part from my post but the point still stands, the greatest open field army is valuable.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #1944
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In the second season half the Lannister army was 30,000. Now that was before the Blackwater, but let's say they rebuilt their losses since then. So best case they have 60,000 men. Danny has the Unsullied, Tyrell army, part of the Ironborn fleet, Dorne, and three freaking dragons. That's probably enough without the Dothraki. The quote you are talking about was King Robert before she hatched the dragons. I think dragons can move faster than an army and could wipe them out pretty quickly before they got close enough to strike your army in an open field. Castles aren't safe from dragons. That's why Harrenhall is in ruin. The only people who could withstand the dragons were Dornishmen. That was because they are decentralized without big castle targets and no one could hold the land.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #1945
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
The dragons are a massive tool and very useful for Danny, but she can't conquer seven kingdoms with just three dragons.
That's exactly what her ancestor did.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:22 PM   #1946
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

So apparently the entire season 7 plot line has been leaked. Avoid the internet people. I won't dare post links but just a warning
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:38 PM   #1947
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
So apparently the entire season 7 plot line has been leaked. Avoid the internet people. I won't dare post links but just a warning
White walkers Vs Trump?
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #1948
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
How are we supposed to avoid them? Isnt the next episode coming out in June? I cant avoid the internet for 8 months.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #1949
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
How are we supposed to avoid them? Isnt the next episode coming out in June? I cant avoid the internet for 8 months.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #1950
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leaked plot details!

(not really)

Spoiler!
Old 10-25-2016, 11:37 AM   #1951
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

I couldn't help myself and read them last night...

but seriously... it sounds pretty good.
underGRADFlame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #1952
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
I couldn't help myself and read them last night...

but seriously... it sounds pretty good.
Is there any danger of running into them? Are they really spoilers? Because that would seriously suck. I dont know if I could abstain for 8 months with the knowledge that they exist.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #1953
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #1954
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Is there any danger of running into them? Are they really spoilers? Because that would seriously suck. I dont know if I could abstain for 8 months with the knowledge that they exist.
It wasn't hard to find, like about 20 seconds of searching and 3 mouse clicks. It basically covers the plot points and events of season 7, in pretty good detail, with set and production pics.

If its 100% accurate who knows.. but if it is...

Last edited by underGRADFlame; 10-25-2016 at 12:19 PM.
underGRADFlame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #1955
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
It wasn't hard to find, like about 20 seconds of searching and 3 mouse clicks. It basically covers the plot points and event of season 7, in pretty good detail, with set and production pics.

If its 100% accurate who knows.. but if it is...

Balls. This is going to take some discipline.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #1956
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I caved and looked.

Wouldn't bank on all of it being correct, and there's a lot that isn't explained but the upcoming season sounds more fun that I had previously anticipated. Lots of fist pumping moments to come.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #1957
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Should probably stop the spoiler talk, do we need a Free Folk thread where those of us who don't care about spoilers can not bend the knee and discuss? Would the CP braintrust allow this type of thread?
Old 10-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #1958
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Should probably stop the spoiler talk, do we need a Free Folk thread where those of us who don't care about spoilers can not bend the knee and discuss? Would the CP braintrust allow this type of thread?
That would be the thread for the actual books.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #1959
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I belong to the Brotherhood Without Spoilers.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #1960
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Hrmm yes and no, because now the show is possibly spoiling the books.. so if we just want to keep the discussion about the show in on thread, and books only in the other thread.. we technically need a third! or rename that thread.