Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #21
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Camped at Fish Lake near there a few years ago. Not many people around there, and actually just drove in on a whim and got a spot on a weekend. The water in the lake was quite warm too. A nice little hiking spot there was Crescent Canyon. Not many people around there either.
I camped at Crescent Falls last year and they have some nice tent only sites. It's a pretty good campsite and the falls are amazing.

Last edited by sevenarms; 07-22-2013 at 03:18 PM.
sevenarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #22
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I use a MSR whisper light stove, exped sleeping pad,
MEC Merlin -7 for most of my sleeping bag needs.

Is there any gear in particular you were looking at?
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #23
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kind of a cruel thread for someone recovering from very recent knee surgery, but at least I have something to look forward to as rehab continues...
Old 07-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #24
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is my gear list. This is my luxury list with roomy tent and big sleeping pad.

Tent - GoLite Shangrila 5 - 4lbs 12oz
Bag - Montbell Spiral Down (30 deg) - 1.25lbs
Pad - Thermaresr neo air Xlite large 1lb
Pack - Ultralight Adventures Circuit 2.25 lbs

Stove - Optimus Crux 3 oz
Pot - Walmart Grease Pot 4 oz
Fork - plastic ikea fork
Plate - plastic ikea plate

RainCoat Outdoor Research Helium - 7 oz
Insulation - Montbell exlite down jacket - 7 oz
Long underwear - MEC T2 - 5 oz
Sleep shirt 4 oz
Socks, Mitts, Touque

Bear Spray - 12 oz
First Aid Kit - 2 oz
Bug spray repackaged 1 oz
Sunscreen Repackaged 1 oz
Water Bladder 4 oz
Needle thread duck tape
Map
Compus
Whistle
Towel

Total weight 11.5 lbs plus food water and fuel assuming I split the tent with one other person. If I am going solo i just bring a tarp and bug bivy. For 3 people I still use the tent above as it really is a 4-5 person tent. Usually I bring 2lbs a day of food and carry 2 liters of water so for a typical long weekend hike in friday, out on Sunday, I am at about 22lbs total pack weight.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #25
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Here is my gear list. This is my luxury list with roomy tent and big sleeping pad.

Tent - GoLite Shangrila 5 - 4lbs 12oz

How do you like this tent?
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #26
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Really cool thanks for sharing GGG.

I will go over the items I have on that list and post it to compare.. see where I can improve and what I should look at buying to fill the holes I have.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #27
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
How do you like this tent?
This tent really meets my needs at a price and weight that are quite reasonable.

I bought this tent at the end of last year so have about 12 nights in so I almost have enough nights in it to give a reasonable review. When I bought it I was looking for a tent that would allow me to have just 1 tent for 2 or 3 hiking person trips and family trips with my wife and 2 kids (2 and 4) and would continue to work as they grow. I also didn't want to be hauling around an 8lb dome tent with splitting it between 2 people.

So the realistic options out there are the Big Agnes Copper Spur4, Big Angnes Fly Creek 4, TarpTent HogBack, and the Go Lite Shangri La 5 so take a look at those options if you are in the market.

The Shangri La has significantly more space than any of the other options and is cheaper. The only draw back is the pole in the center of the tent. This would make it a little ackward for a couple as you would have to share half the tent rather than use all of the space. I was also concerned with my kids playing with the pole and collapsing the tent but this has not been an issue. The other issue is that the walls are quite sloped so the first 6" round the perimiter is only useable for gear and not people. The tent is a Place for 3 Adults. You each have elbow room and space for gear. It is a tight fit for four adults but I still think roomier than the big Agnes options. Four our family right now it is very comfortable and should fit all of us for another 5 years or so at which time the kids can go in their own tent.

To make the weight comparable with the BA Fly Creek and Tarptent Hogback you need to use 2 trekking poles lashed together. If you already use trekking poles this saves bringing the stock pole along and is just as sturdy. By doing this the weight of the tent is very comparable to the other 3 options. Also it is modular so you can pitch it with just the fly as a sub 2lb 4 person Palace. I haven't done this yet but probably try it late september this year when the bugs are gone.

TLDR: If you can deal with the pole being in the center of the tent this tent is really roomy for 3 people and can fit 4 adults better than other comparable tents.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #28
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I just did a rough run down of my gear compared to yours trying to fill in that list and I am about 6 lbs heavier at 17.45 assuming I get the Atmos ... lol.

I might want to go with the Exos over the Atmos to shed a little weight there.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #29
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

the wife wants to hike cascade mountain this summer. any tips or resources to inform ourselves with?

we want to tent on a friday night, hike the mountain on saturday and tent again on saturday night. we are looking at two jack lake for camping. any other suggestions?

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #30
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any hike recommendations similar to Barrier lake in length, difficulty and proximity to Calgary?

Greatly appreciated.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #31
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This tent really meets my needs at a price and weight that are quite reasonable.

Thanks for the review. That's the tent I was already almost sold on and I think that seals it.

It's on their site for $299 (USD) which seems pretty reasonable.

As a total aside (just curious) could it be hung from the middle rather than using the pole? Might be an option in nice weather?
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #32
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the review. That's the tent I was already almost sold on and I think that seals it.

As a total aside (just curious) could it be hung from the middle rather than using the pole? Might be an option in nice weather?
FYI quite a few online outlets currently have a 20% going around. check it out!
The Following User Says Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #33
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I dont remember if there is a loop or not at the top of the tent for hanging. I will let you know on Monday as right now everything is packed up for lake ohara this weekend.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #34
timmy89
Draft Pick

Hey, this is my first post on CP, I've been lurking for awhile as I don't live in Calgary yet (hopefully moving to Calgary within a year), but this thread is really interesting to me and has already given me some good info.

I'm interested in your opinions on water filtration/purification for day trips. When I move to Calgary I want to go on long day (possibly multiday) hikes in Kananaskis and Banff, which would require a lot of water, but I know a lot of people simply collect water from lakes and streams and filter or purify it instead of carrying a lot of extra weight in water. What do you guys use and have found effective? I'm looking at a Katadyn Hiker Pro (http://www.mec.ca/product/5007-114/k...o-microfilter/). Any comments on using this, it doesn't filter out viruses, but not sure how much an issue that is in cold, clean mountain streams. A super light option would just be using tablets (http://www.mec.ca/product/5001-354/k...tment-tablets/), but I like the idea of actually filtering out the nasties rather than just neutralizing them. Appreciate any comments you may have!
timmy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #35
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
the wife wants to hike cascade mountain this summer. any tips or resources to inform ourselves with?

we want to tent on a friday night, hike the mountain on saturday and tent again on saturday night. we are looking at two jack lake for camping. any other suggestions?
Search "Cascade Mountain Scramble Guide". The Parks Canada guide will come up. The route they describle is excellent. Stick to it and you won't have any problems
Attempted this last July but got stopped by snow 1 hour from the summit. Excellent views and terrain. If you have scrambled Mount Rundle this will not be a problem. Longer time, less incline at Cascade.
Bridge is out right now on the Cascade Ampitheatre part of the hike. Not sure how big a deal the crossing would be.
Going back some time in August to hopefully make the summit.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #36
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy89 View Post
Hey, this is my first post on CP, I've been lurking for awhile as I don't live in Calgary yet (hopefully moving to Calgary within a year), but this thread is really interesting to me and has already given me some good info.

I'm interested in your opinions on water filtration/purification for day trips. When I move to Calgary I want to go on long day (possibly multiday) hikes in Kananaskis and Banff, which would require a lot of water, but I know a lot of people simply collect water from lakes and streams and filter or purify it instead of carrying a lot of extra weight in water. What do you guys use and have found effective? I'm looking at a Katadyn Hiker Pro (http://www.mec.ca/product/5007-114/k...o-microfilter/). Any comments on using this, it doesn't filter out viruses, but not sure how much an issue that is in cold, clean mountain streams. A super light option would just be using tablets (http://www.mec.ca/product/5001-354/k...tment-tablets/), but I like the idea of actually filtering out the nasties rather than just neutralizing them. Appreciate any comments you may have!
I think your crazy to bother filtering water from rivers or fast flowing streams in the nat parks or k country so long as the source hasnt gone through pasture land. Lakes are another story but you can normally find the feeder or exit stream from those rivers and just use that.

I personally use the tablets if I at all question the water source. They arent that expensive and unless you are going every weekend durring the spring summer and fall I dont think filtration systems are worth it IMO.

Ive never got sick once and last year I went backpacking on minimum 40 nights last year

Now if you have bad reactions to the iodine tablets then thats another issue.

Last edited by mykalberta; 07-26-2013 at 02:20 PM.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #37
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
I think your crazy to bother filtering water from rivers or fast flowing streams in the nat parks or k country so long as the source hasnt gone through pasture land. Lakes are another story but you can normally find the feeder or exit stream from those rivers and just use that.

I personally use the tablets if I at all question the water source. They arent that expensive and unless you are going every weekend durring the spring summer and fall I dont think filtration systems are worth it IMO.

Ive never got sick once and last year I went backpacking on minimum 40 nights last year

Now if you have bad reactions to the iodine tablets then thats another issue.

One bout with Giardiasis (Beaver Fever) will have you reconsidering that stance. I would agree, if you are in the high country that water will be safe, but any river/creek in the lower valleys could contain Giardia, which will make even getting out unassisted a challenge. For the cost and ease of use of the lightweight filters, I think it is silly to take the chance.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #38
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Heart Mountain loop

Has anyone done the Heart Mountain Loop (Via Heart Mountain, Grant McEwan). Was thinking of doing this as a day hike on Saturday, just wondering what to expect. I will be attempting this with day pack, climbing helmet, and hiking boots. Doable?
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #39
The Coppernian One
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenarms View Post
I camped at Crescent Falls last year and they have some nice tent only sites. It's a pretty good campsite and the falls are amazing.
Those are actually my favourite sites. I haven't been to them since the flooding, so I'm not actually sure if they're still there or what shape they're in. I was out at the falls not long ago and water was pretty much going over the entire rim, not just the little cup that it normally flows through.
The Coppernian One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #40
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
Has anyone done the Heart Mountain Loop (Via Heart Mountain, Grant McEwan). Was thinking of doing this as a day hike on Saturday, just wondering what to expect. I will be attempting this with day pack, climbing helmet, and hiking boots. Doable?
It's a relatively easy scramble, I found. Very easy to complete as a day hike. I did feel like I was hiking through the bush a little more than I would like when I'm climbing solo. I always feel like there's a bear around the next corner. I prefer to climb solo a lot more above the tree line.

BTW, if anyone is looking for good information on trips, an old friend of mine has a website that you might find useful. He's done a lot of trips, and depending how long ago they were, he's got some pretty good detailed information.

www.explor8ion.com
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness