Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #21
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ what did you find disgraceful about his olympic coverage? for myself, i did not listen to his coverage enough to form an opinion?
Early on in 2010 winter games when Canada was struggling and still hadn't won a gold medal he went on the fan and repeatedly chastised the athletes. He claimed that they weren't focused, only obsessed with celebrity endorsements, and hadn't trained hard enough to compete with the world. Keep in mind this is maybe three days into the games. The other hosts would tell him to calm down, that there was still a lot more games to be played. He refused to hear it and boldly claimed that Canada would have it's worse medal showing in recent memory.

People complained and wrote into the the fan demanding he be removed from the air, which I believe he later was. Why do you think this guy gets a challenged spot for air time and is almost never featured on any of the main programming? I could be wrong about this but I don't believe he contributed in this years summer games coverage on the fan at all.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #22
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

The only time I avoid tuning into the FAN960 is when Rome is on.

Instead of having (what seems like an eternity) of Rome in the Morning, I'd rather have our local guys having more conversations with people covering the NFL, NBA, Premier League, and in general more soccer related stuff. For such a globally dominant sport, the Fan does a great job of pretending it doesn't exist.

And I hate the way Rome covers the NFL, NBA, and MLB.

I also miss having the TSN personalities in morning, but that's just business.

Last edited by Lego Man; 09-13-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lego Man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #23
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingHomer View Post
The Jungle Jim Hunter Show is great. What he does to promote amateur sports is outstanding. If you have a kid in sports you should sit down with him/her and listen to the show every Saturday morning.
I understand he pays to be on the Fan. He is promoting his own business.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #24
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like junge jim. As a masters athlete and as someone involved in youth sport, theres a lot of good conent in his shows if you can look past his abrasive nature.

Jim Rome - used to be a fan but stopped listening religously a couple of years ago and now dont listen at all. I wouldnt mind if he they put something new on in that timeslot. It might have me listen to the Fan again at that time of day.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #25
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Since I'm often driving to the mountains when Jungle Jim is on, I actually follow him a bit but I think if you've heard one "pump-you-up" Jungle Jim show, you've heard them all.

Hardly ever listen to "Lowest Common Denominator" Rome. Never listen to ESPN or FOX or whatever they have for filler

Generally, I like listening to the local announcers on the drive in and drive home from work. Since they got rid of that wingnut who thought he was funny in the morning, off to a bigger paycheque in Toronto, things have improved considerably.

Cowperson
Old 09-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too much hockey and not enough football, baseball, hell even the odd basketball wouldn't hurt. I especially find all this lockout talk extremely boring and repetitive. The Fan needs to realize that they are a sports network and not just a hockey network. The morning guys have grown on me a bit but sometimes I would like to put my hands around Walker's neck tightly when he goes off on his anti-tennis rants. Dude you work on a sports station and tennis wether you like it or not is a big sport worldwide and some people are actually interested in the big tournaments like Wimbledon and the US open. Heck we finally have a Canadian men's player that is a factor in the men's tour.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #27
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't listen as much as I used to. When I do listen on the way in to work, I still feel like the morning team is some thrown-together group waiting for Mike Richards to come back from vacation.

If and when hockey starts up I'll probably be listening more.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #28
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Post I made concerning Jim Rome a few weeks back:

I used to be a huge fan of The Jim Rome show but ever since Travis Rodgers left the show has steadily gone downhill. Now that Kyle Brandt host the show more and more it's apparent how much influence he has and how much of the sub-par content comes from him. He is by far the worst of any of the regular guest hosts, all he does is make these stupid observations about pop-culture topics that get tired in a hurry. Meanwhile all Jim seems to do is talk about his horses and find the next B list celebrity ass to kiss. It's just sad to see such a good show fall so far.
Not sure anyone nailed a post more than you did right here. I was an everyday listener until a few years ago, right around the time Whitey left is when the show started to become poorer in quality. And boy did the quality of callers ever fall off a cliff around 2006. I used to love the calls as much as Rome, but now its just a bunch of clowns trying to become wannabe Jungle Legends, or losers trying to get into the Hack-Off.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #29
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've listened to Rome when I could since it was tape delayed on 770 (or was it 660) years ago.

Definitely agree about the quality of the callers dropping off in a huge way, remember when every show would always end with a "huge call of the day"? How often does that happen now?

Hate the talk about horse racing, and neck-errr nascar. Remember when Jim hated it so? Those were the days. And a fool named Willy in KC started the whole "singing take" craze. Memories.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #30
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson View Post
Since they got rid of that wingnut who thought he was funny in the morning, off to a bigger paycheque in Toronto, things have improved considerably.

Cowperson
I found Mike Richards freaking hilarious. The Rita McNeil Christmas Special was so funny I had to pull over the first time I heard it because I was laughing to hard to drive. Also, "EDMONTON" was gold.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #31
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Post I made concerning Jim Rome a few weeks back:

I used to be a huge fan of The Jim Rome show but ever since Travis Rodgers left the show has steadily gone downhill. Now that Kyle Brandt host the show more and more it's apparent how much influence he has and how much of the sub-par content comes from him. He is by far the worst of any of the regular guest hosts, all he does is make these stupid observations about pop-culture topics that get tired in a hurry. Meanwhile all Jim seems to do is talk about his horses and find the next B list celebrity ass to kiss. It's just sad to see such a good show fall so far.
I still listen to Rome, but I think you're bang on with this assessment. He is an absolutely terrible guest host.

But back on topic - I can't stand anymore 'lockout' analysis. I know they claim they've done a survey or something of their listeners, but I would absolutely love if they talked more NFL, even MLB. Anything over more lockout crap.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #32
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I understand he pays to be on the Fan. He is promoting his own business.
That's interesting if it's true. So when there is an ad on his show (I believe Big 4 Motors is a regular) does he personally collect the revenue for that?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #33
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Not sure anyone nailed a post more than you did right here. I was an everyday listener until a few years ago, right around the time Whitey left is when the show started to become poorer in quality. And boy did the quality of callers ever fall off a cliff around 2006. I used to love the calls as much as Rome, but now its just a bunch of clowns trying to become wannabe Jungle Legends, or losers trying to get into the Hack-Off.
Travis has his own show on yahoo sports network that you can podcast for free every day. If you miss the old Rome show you will be a big fan of this. Even a lot of the good old callers are participating on his show. I also download the petros and money show and that fills in most of my sports talk radio. May be day old but it is better than what is offered locally daily.
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #34
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peter Maher will be on the Fan every afternoon from 3 until 6 until hockey starts back up.

Jason Deforest@FAN960Jason

Peter Maher is live in studio again (and every day while there's no #NHL) on the Big Show 3-6pm on @Sportsnet960.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #35
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Peter Maher will be on the Fan every afternoon from 3 until 6 until hockey starts back up.

Jason Deforest@FAN960Jason

Peter Maher is live in studio again (and every day while there's no #NHL) on the Big Show 3-6pm on @Sportsnet960.
Peter Maher play by play = awesome

Peter Maher on general radio hosting = painful

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #36
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

I disagree. Pete has some great stories.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #37
Austin Powers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really enjoy listening to the Jim Rome show.

Anyone that says he just talks about horses, etc, doesnt listen to his show regularly.

I like the morning show right now, but I would still rather have Mike Richards, Im a big fan.

I really enjoyed having Kerr, Boomer and Steinberg in the afternoon.

Is Rick Lafitte still with the Fan960? I have not heard him in a while, but liked listening to what he had to say.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #38
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

Couldn't agree more. If you're ever looking to get absolutely loaded - have a shot of beer every time Peter says 'ahh' or 'umm' in a segment. Shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to start feeling it.

The Fan 960 has gone to ####. I moved to Calgary a little over 5 years ago and was very excited to have an all sports channel to tune into.

Used to really like the morning show. Probably have tuned in 20 or 30 times since Richards left, and for me there's nothing there to look forward to. Happy to listen to the same generic rock songs and pop culture rabble on the FM dial in the mornings.

Hated Rome from the get-go, but tried to give him a chance. His delivery drives me nuts and in general he just seems like an arrogant #######. Why would I give him my time?

Used to kind of enjoy the afternoon drive with whoever was doing it a few years ago. Hate it now. Aside from the insiders that call in, 960 has never had anyone local on in the afternoon that knows #### about the Eastern Conference. So maddening to hear them have an opinion that is based on a foundation of ignorance.

I've made a comment on Brynn in the other thread - opinion hasn't changed. Pat has steadily made me hate him more and more. I understand Brynn says dumb stuff and generally has no real opinion worth listening too. But the fact that Pat, his colleague and fellow 'professional' gets on the way he does blows my mind. These guy really need to record a couple of hours of their show and listen back in the night and hear how they sound. The show is so unprofessional it's a joke. I've tried so hard to listen to get some local sports talk, but I find myself just getting mad at the garbage they present and changing back to the FM crap.

Steinberg should be kept on Overtime and nothing else. Brynn should be moved to an off air role. I like hearing Kelly Kirsh or whatever his name is when he fills in. Rome will never be gone, but it sure would be nice if he was. The morning show guys should probably be moved around too.

The funny thing is the Fan 590 has really won me over. I love hockey central, Tim & Sid are hilarious and REALLY well produced. McCowan is what he is and if you can accept that, the show can be great. It's a pretty solid lineup all around. I thought I'd love TSN radio, but Bryan Hayes has made me hate that whole station. So Rogers CAN run a good radio station - maybe whoever has set up 590 can come do some mentoring here in Calgary.

Thank god for satellite radio and the TuneIn Radio app.
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #39
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The only thing I used to listen to regularly on Fan960 was All Night with Jason Smith. But now that he moved on to the NFL Network, the only time I listen is when something big happens with the Flames.
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #40
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
The only thing I used to listen to regularly on Fan960 was All Night with Jason Smith. But now that he moved on to the NFL Network, the only time I listen is when something big happens with the Flames.
I actually enjoyed the guy who had that show before Jason, I think the guys name was Todd Wright
darockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darockwilder For This Useful Post: