Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #721
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stole this from another poster from another thread so sorry.. but here is out potential d pairings to start this season Giordano - Hamilton Brodie - Hamonic xxx - Stone Barkowski, Kulak, Andersson, Wotherspoon, Kylington Here is our starting six last year Giordano - Wideman Brodie - Engelland Grossman - Hamilton The upgrades cannot be put into words. I won't sell Engelland out because I like him, but he's in the press box in our current line up, and he's the best of the three that's been outted.. by the biggest of margins. Stone really solidified out defence.. Hamonic just knocks it out of the park. Hopefully Brodie and Hamonic start working together even before camp opens to really start to read and understand each other.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #722
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Stole this from another poster from another thread so sorry.. but here is out potential d pairings to start this season Giordano - Hamilton Brodie - Hamonic xxx - Stone Barkowski, Kulak, Andersson, Wotherspoon, Kylington Here is our starting six last year Giordano - Wideman Brodie - Engelland Grossman - Hamilton The upgrades cannot be put into words. I won't sell Engelland out because I like him, but he's in the press box in our current line up, and he's the best of the three that's been outted.. by the biggest of margins. Stone really solidified out defence.. Hamonic just knocks it out of the park. Hopefully Brodie and Hamonic start working together even before camp opens to really start to read and understand each other.
And that's the thing. Last year, those pairs were thrown together for game 1 (as were the forward lines).

This year, things are much more set. And (almost) everyone is familiar with the system.

But specifically to the bold, I think it was Hamonic, in his interview, that specifically mentioned playing with Brodie. I don't have the interview or quote handy, but I remember interpreting it at the time as suggesting that Treliving had already discussed this with him. In other words, things seem pretty set this year and the pairs should be together from the beginning of preseason.

It should be a much better start to the season than last year.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 06:23 AM   #723
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
And that's the thing. Last year, those pairs were thrown together for game 1 (as were the forward lines).

This year, things are much more set. And (almost) everyone is familiar with the system.

But specifically to the bold, I think it was Hamonic, in his interview, that specifically mentioned playing with Brodie. I don't have the interview or quote handy, but I remember interpreting it at the time as suggesting that Treliving had already discussed this with him. In other words, things seem pretty set this year and the pairs should be together from the beginning of preseason.

It should be a much better start to the season than last year.
Yeah, it should be better if the pairings actually work. On paper they look ideal, but then again so did Bouwmeester/Regehr.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #724
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
Yeah, it should be better if the pairings actually work. On paper they look ideal, but then again so did Bouwmeester/Regehr.
The good thing is we know that Gio-Hamilton work. Both placed top 10 in the Norris voting. The hope is Brodie-Hamonic gels as quickly as Brodie-Stone last year. Worst case scenario you put Brodie-Stone back together and Hamonic with someone else. In the worst case scenario one of Hamilton, Giordano, Brodie, or Hamonic will always be on the ice.

As mentioned above that is a far cry from last year when you were trying to shelter Wideman, Grossman, Kulak, and Engelland to some extent.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #725
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
The good thing is we know that Gio-Hamilton work. Both placed top 10 in the Norris voting. The hope is Brodie-Hamonic gels as quickly as Brodie-Stone last year. Worst case scenario you put Brodie-Stone back together and Hamonic with someone else. In the worst case scenario one of Hamilton, Giordano, Brodie, or Hamonic will always be on the ice.

As mentioned above that is a far cry from last year when you were trying to shelter Wideman, Grossman, Kulak, and Engelland to some extent.
Oh God, it's a massive step-up losing Wideman full stop.

I'm just trepidatious since we once had, on paper, the finest defence corps in the league. When Brent Sutter shoehorned them into pairings, which he stubbornly stuck with all season, they all managed to play themselves off of the team Canada roster. I have all my fingers and toes crossed that history won't repeat itself.

Should we find that Brodie – Stone works well, who would make a good partner for Hamonic? Who out of Kulak, Wotherspoon or Kyllington would best suit Hammer's style of play? Or is there a decent cheap FA option (Bartkowski)?

I'd also be interested to see Brodie – Hamilton experimented with. That maybe our future right there, and it could open the door to a Giordano – Hamonic pairing. All of which look very good.

Still, on paper, it probably has to be:

Giordano – Hamilton
Brodie – Hamonic
???? – Stone
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #726
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

so funny reading the first few pages of this topic ...

you see all the regular contrarians jumping in when Hamilton wasn't playing well
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #727
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

A worthwhile bump with his elevated play showing up on the score sheet. 2 goals, 5 assists in 8 games during Feb.

Also guess which one belongs to Hamilton during a Backlund interview.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #728
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's a tad streaky, but just like the Flames he is pretty good during the second half of the season.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #729
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Also guess which one belongs to Hamilton during a Backlund interview.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #730
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

To Dougie’s credit, he’s played exceptionally better since his brother was traded. It’s almost like he’s using that anger to motivate him or something. Either way, he’s been very dangerous offensively lately. If he learns to curb the obstruction penalties I think he could be a force.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #731
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I feel that Hamilton is playing quite fine right now for a #2 D.
I'm sure that we would all like to see him play more physically, but not every Top pairing D does.
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #732
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

It seems big brother Freddie has yet to play a game for the Coyotes.
Why did they claim him off waivers? -an attempt to throw a divional rival player off his game? -or was there some other reason?

Worked out well for us, allowing others to be called up, and Dougie has not missed a beat.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #733
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
It seems big brother Freddie has yet to play a game for the Coyotes.
Why did they claim him off waivers? -an attempt to throw a divional rival player off his game? -or was there some other reason?

Worked out well for us, allowing others to be called up, and Dougie has not missed a beat.
They probably claimed him as a "favour" due to Treliving's past relationship with them.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:03 PM   #734
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

New career high in goals and ties PK Subban for NHL lead in goals by a defenceman.

Woah indeed.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:04 PM   #735
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:04 PM   #736
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Whoa. Tied for league lead in goals from defenceman!
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:56 AM   #737
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine where he'd be if Gulutzan used him on the #1PP for more than the last fifteen games. Hamilton might be pushing for 30 goals.

Dude is seriously a Burns/Byfuglien level talent.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:24 AM   #738
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's been referred to on on this forum as Wideman 2.0, and trade bait for a winger while he's hot. The Flames have a lot of damn problems right now, so a little acknowledgement of one of the few bright spots shouldn't be so difficult.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #739
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Dougie ended up in a three way tie for most goals by defensemen in the league, finished with the best +/- of any Flames defenseman, and was all around awesome all year long

Doug is exactly what you want out of a franchise defenseman and I sure hope that he is here for a long time
Old 04-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #740
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
So Dougie ended up in a three way tie for most goals by defensemen in the league, finished with the best +/- of any Flames defenseman, and was all around awesome all year long

Doug is exactly what you want out of a franchise defenseman and I sure hope that he is here for a long time
He takes horrible penalties, doesn’t kill penalties, and is often floating around out there. He is extremely far from a franchise Fman let alone number 1. Personally I don’t think he will ever be a franchise Dman. I also don’t believe he has hit his ceiling especially offensively. He is a solid player so keeping him is absolutely an option but in my opinion he is better used as trade bait due to his sky high value
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post: