Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #4521
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Terry Jones has been mailing it in for years now, he was never a good sports reporter, and now he basically writes suck up pieces.

I'm assuming he gets paid in donuts and fried chicken though.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 06:39 PM   #4522
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Terry Jones like Spector has been waiting a long time to get his digs in with the Calgary organizations. Congratulations Terry you got a shiny new arena and a Regina a shiny new football stadium. Unfortunately at the end of the day Edmonton is still Edmonton and Regina is still Regina and those facilities is where any envy ends. Calgary still has the better sports organizations and is the better city.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #4523
CrazyCaper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Apparently the Oilers already have billboards all across the city promoting the 2017 playoffs and have already started selling 2017 Playoff t-shirts!! Haven't even clinched yet. Edmonton is No Good!!
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyCaper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #4524
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do the billboards say exactly?

"Watch the first ever oilers playoff game broadcast in high definition! Exciting!"

"While you're watching, check out the first ever "tweets" about an oilers playoff game! Never happened before! Exciting!"

"You can read those tweets on your iPhone, which didn't even exist the last time the oilers were in the playoffs! Exciting!"
Old 03-27-2017, 10:40 PM   #4525
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

"Watch the first ever oilers playoff game broadcast in high definition! Exciting!"

"While you're watching, check out the first ever "tweets" about an oilers playoff game! Never happened before! Exciting!"

"You can read those tweets on your iPhone, which didn't even exist the last time the oilers were in the playoffs! Exciting!"
Pretty much, only with more spelling mistakes! Excrementing!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 12:42 AM   #4526
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

"we built a new rink so that you could have better WiFi."

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:15 AM   #4527
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Soon it will be time for Edmontonians to dig up their lucky playoff sweatpants from the closet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #4528
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
Soon it will be time for Edmontonians to dig up their lucky playoff sweatpants from the closet.
Don't forget the shoe polish to complete the uniform.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #4529
CNeufeld
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Plus the UGLY new orange "pylon" jerseys... Freaking downtown looks like a parking lot with all the walking pylons on game day.

C
Old 03-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #4530
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNeufeld View Post
Plus the UGLY new orange "pylon" jerseys... Freaking downtown looks like a parking lot with all the walking pylons on game day.

C
kind of like their defensemen.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 01:00 PM   #4531
CNeufeld
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
kind of like their defensemen.....
That's probably why they went with those jerseys... Camouflage, to lull the opposition into thinking they're doing drills at practice.

C
Old 03-28-2017, 01:00 PM   #4532
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
What do they need shoe polish for? Let them drink antifreeze.

/marie-antoinette
Old 03-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #4533
Boniman
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
I get it. Flames fans feel aggrieved that the Oilers have received, and continue to receive recognition beyond what they "deserve". I am not sure why they expect oiler fans to lay down and worship the superior flames though.

i want to enjoy myself when watching a hockey game, and finally I can. Do I give a crap that we lucked into McDavid? Nope, it's a reason it's called a lottery, I am going to revel in our fortune.

Any way carrying on...
Last time I checked the draft was part of hockey so why should we apologize for it? It's not like we spout off that you got J Hockey by fluke. You drafted him and he turned out. Good for you. Most of you guys are pretty reasonable but some of you sound like the jilted girlfriend. Who cares if we 'deserve' to finally enjoy a season. Good luck in the playoffs, hope we meet.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #4534
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boniman View Post
Last time I checked the draft was part of hockey so why should we apologize for it? It's not like we spout off that you got J Hockey by fluke. You drafted him and he turned out. Good for you. Most of you guys are pretty reasonable but some of you sound like the jilted girlfriend. Who cares if we 'deserve' to finally enjoy a season. Good luck in the playoffs, hope we meet.
Ha, how perfectly Oilerish not to understand the difference between doing homework and taking a chance based on scouting and being handed a draft pick because of lottery balls. Sad.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #4535
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Quoted for pure awesomeness. I laughed my ass off when I read this!
The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #4536
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Edmonton is No Good Episode 4: New Rink, Same Stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boniman View Post
...Good luck in the playoffs, hope we meet.
You are in for a treat. The playoffs are now broadcasted in HIGH DEFINITION, and you can stream the games live on your freaking computer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #4537
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You are in for a treat. The playoffs are now broadcasted in HIGH DEFINITION, and you can stream the games on your freaking computer!
Thats only for the Tier 1 fans though, right?
Old 03-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #4538
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Johnny G wasn't entirely by fluke, guys within the org that scouted him saw the raw skill, talked to his coach, actually kept their scouting of him secret all the while so as to not raise attention to him and pushed for the pick at the draft.

I mean generally the draft is a crapshoot but good scouting is a real thing when you look at organizations like Detroit and what they managed to do over so many years keeping themselves relevant without high picks. That takes an eye for talent.

Oilers had to do very little scouting in terms of the players that went into putting them where they're at now. They just had to walk up to the podium and make the 'consensus' pick that was granted to them four times.

Flames won zero lotteries. They had to play the crapshoot of non-lottery picks and they've gotten as far as the Oilers have with an arguably more complete team (with less top-end).

But the media will tell you the opposite, and give the Flames little credit or hype for what they've managed to do in a fraction of the time frame the Oilers had with all the benefits they received. Oilers fans that stuck with a frustrating organization deserve some payoff eventually after all they went through and sticking with them but the way the respective clubs are represented in the media is embarrassing at times.

That's why it's annoying. Flames are the guys that worked hard, stayed up, did their homework, didn't gloat, and prayed for the unlikely guys they picked to catch lightning. Oilers are the guy that won the lottery multiple times, and cashed in finally a few times later. But their management did almost everything you can do to ruin players and the team outside of that without trying to, and so there isn't that much that is worth commending. They lucked out, more than not.

Step into Flames fans' shoes for a second and maybe try to figure it out.

Last edited by djsFlames; 03-28-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #4539
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Flames are clearly better than the Oilers at everything. Imagine if they won the McDavid lottery. Instant Cup favorites.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #4540
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
The Flames are clearly better than the Oilers at everything. Imagine if they won the McDavid lottery. Instant Cup favorites.
McDavid would probably be on our 2nd, or 3rd line earning his way. BT often says he tells the guys he brings in to be themselves as they are not expected to come in and do it all themselves.
Closed Thread