Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2024, 11:30 AM   #21
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many of Huberdeaus points came after the playoff dream was over?
Old 04-19-2024, 11:32 AM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
How many of Huberdeaus points came after the playoff dream was over?
What's your definition of that date?

You can look up the stats yourself if you are truly curious and not just trolling.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 11:46 AM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Great season in my mind ... not on the ice, but off it.

Hope is back.

If you have an average team, and you retain everyone it just seems like you're locked into that average result until it gets worse, which leaves you with the decline in the average players and no cap space.

Now they're picked a path, made the moves, have more assets and the team will get younger and change.

Won't be easy ... hoping it won't be Buffalo etc, but at least we didn't sign "please stay!" contracts with 2-3 players adding to the Kadri/Huberdeau future contract woes.

And being out of the playoffs isn't miserable once you've started adding some young players with some upside. Then you enjoy the try and the games become more entertaining.
I have to agree. Its why I was banging the 'Trade Lindholm' drum since August or something.

He didnt want to be here, to stay he wanted too much money, he was getting too old and his window for contention to win didnt match the team's and we got a haul of assets for him. I like Kuzmenko.

On top of which, again, we already have too many big, long, expensive and under-performing contracts for older players as it is.

Ditto Zadorov, ditto pretty much everyone else.

The definition of insanity is....believing what the Internet thinks the definition of insanity is! Thats just you guys!

But repeating the same thing over and over again with the same people and expecting it to yield a different result, particularly a better result...isnt all that logical.

So I agree. They picked a lane and Conroy drove down it. I have no problems with that.

I've been a fan of this team for a long time. The Pain comes with the territory.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 12:18 PM   #24
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

The most positive element of this season for me, had been the actions taken off the ice. We’re finally moving away from the bubble and all the mediocrity it has brought us for most of the past three decades.

I’m excited about ending the era of mediocrity.

The second positive of this season is, there has been a clear reduction in players mailing it in. I’ve loved watching the call ups and the energy they have brought to some of our veterans.

I’ve loved Coleman and Kadri this season.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 12:22 PM   #25
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
The most positive element of this season for me, had been the actions taken off the ice. We’re finally moving away from the bubble and all the mediocrity it has brought us for most of the past three decades.

I’m excited about ending the era of mediocrity.

The second positive of this season is, there has been a clear reduction in players mailing it in. I’ve loved watching the call ups and the energy they have brought to some of our veterans.

I’ve loved Coleman and Kadri this season.
Disagree. This is just another rebuild like the last one.

Connie’s decisions this year were easy to make. Get rid of expiring malcontents.

I’ll believe what you say when they make hard decisions, TBL style. For example when TBL let Coleman walk knowing how good a player he was.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 12:22 PM   #26
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

… that said, it was a fun season with lots to keep us entertained.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 12:31 PM   #27
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if we'll see any changes to the coaching staff? Since he was fired in St. Louis, I've been saying they should go after Berube. I'm sure he's in high demand, but he is from Alberta and twice played for the Flames, so he might be interested in returning.

For a long time, it looked like Savard was a dead man walking, but since the trade deadline, the Flames have had the 3rd best PP in the league, only 0.5% behind Tampa.

Over the last month, since March 19, they had the best PP in the league.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:31 PM   #28
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Disagree. This is just another rebuild like the last one.

Connie’s decisions this year were easy to make. Get rid of expiring malcontents.

I’ll believe what you say when they make hard decisions, TBL style. For example when TBL let Coleman walk knowing how good a player he was.
TBL made hard decisions because they were forced to by the cap, and they’ve been going downhill since.

I wouldn’t say these decisions are any easier. Not signing a great middle six player because you can’t afford him isn’t much harder than trading a player because you won’t sign him for what he wants.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 12:42 PM   #29
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
What's your definition of that date?

You can look up the stats yourself if you are truly curious and not just trolling.
The date that was the point of no return. I just figured someone probably had those numbers.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:46 PM   #30
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the ice I have little to no investment in the team.

Kumenko is the only guy to make me perk up and pay attention, and he's been a flame for like two days. Zary, Pospisil and Sharangovich to lesser extents.

This team needs some characters with high GAF and players that bleed for the crest on the jersey in order to re-engage the fans like myself on the games being played while they go through this transition.

Kadri and Coleman have been that for then but they're not spring flowers any more.

I thought Andersson and Mangiapane were competitive guys that loved being Flames but sounds like their interest in being here has waned. And they can be set free if thats the case.

I just have no interest in watching players that aren't invested in being part of the solution here any more after all the "exodus" shenanigans since Gaudreau.

Hit reset on the room and make sure every one in your locker room is here to be a part of what's happening.

That's how the Flames sell their product to fans like myself. If the team is cohesive and committed, it will translate to renewed interest in the games.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 04-19-2024 at 12:48 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:12 PM   #31
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The date that was the point of no return. I just figured someone probably had those numbers.
That's pretty subjective.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:42 PM   #32
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good contributions from Zary, Pospisil, Sharangovich, Weegar, Kumzenko, Kylington, Coleman & Kadri. Still like Vladar. Wolfe has potential. It's been a hell of a long time since 1989.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:52 PM   #33
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mathematically that was like 6 games before the end of the season. The Jets game.

He had 5 points after that game. He had 4 points in the 6 games before and including the Jets game. So what's your point?

Maybe you are talking pre-trade deadline. In the 21 games before then (games 40-61) he had 20 points. He had only 12 afterward. Still not understanding your point.

Last edited by GioforPM; 04-19-2024 at 01:59 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:19 PM   #34
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Mathematically that was like 6 games before the end of the season. The Jets game.

He had 5 points after that game. He had 4 points in the 6 games before and including the Jets game. So what's your point?

Maybe you are talking pre-trade deadline. In the 21 games before then (games 40-61) he had 20 points. He had only 12 afterward. Still not understanding your point.
I think he's trying to say the points probably came after the pressure was off.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kipperiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 02:27 PM   #35
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That Kylington came back is the best “feels” for me on the season.

Zary fulfilling his promise as a 1st rounder.

I am optimistic that Huberdeau will be better next year if he plays with Pelletier for a full season. Would like that for both of them.

We are FINALLY a team with cap space. I hope we make use of it to acquire assets when we take on dead contracts.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:29 PM   #36
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think this season is what that's legacy is not written yet.
  • Can the flames steal one of the top 5 players this draft in the 9th spot?
  • Can Shar, Zary, Kuz follow up the success they did have?
  • Can the Flames graduate one of the extra 1/2/3 round picks this year quicker than expected
  • With all of these young D men brought in, can one of them have an impact in the NHL.
  • The Flames have 3 goalies with 15+ games this year, can they get offseason value out of one of them.

I will give this season 1 point out of 5 for every yes.

If we look back in 3 years, Markstrom was traded for a 1st, There is a 1st and 3rd line NHLer out of this draft, Sharan. Zary and Kuz make up a 2nd line grouping, Miromanov or Bruzstewicz... are playing top 4 minutes, and Poirier+Coronato are in the NHL. Than I'd 5/5 the season. If the answer is no to all of these I fear we are just at 1997 in our progression curve.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:30 PM   #37
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperiggy View Post
I think he's trying to say the points probably came after the pressure was off.
Yeah I was just wondering what the breakdown was so thats my bad. Honestly what pressure does he have now? His contract is basically guaranteed.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:39 PM   #38
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This season was a start of a road to build a winner, which is just as likely to fail as be successful.

For us finally taking this first step I'm happy, as it's been obvious for a while we need to get young talent in.

I worry when I hear about chasing UFA's and trading picks and prospects for mid-career players. That is the wrong way to go.

Realistically I think we we have 2 more seasons like this, where our focus will be getting young top talent. If we can get 2 top 5 picks the next 2 years, then I feel 27-28 we are competing and can make our first run in the playoffs..

This means a change in expectations and focus as a fan.
1. We are signing 1-year UFA's on prove it deals and giving them the minutes

2. We are taking on ugly contracts that come with good picks

3. We are trading vets who are 30 or older at deadlines. This means moving on from Raz, Coleman, Mangy and kuz unless they take shorter deals.

4. It also means we should be ok with keeping kadri and Huby, merely because we need some vets and there's no real benefit of a cap dump.

Anyways, the temptation is try and win now with a C+ team, but that will fail, so I hope we do it right.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:40 PM   #39
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of young players and inexperienced players that have potential to take another step or two.

It'll be interesting to see what the vets do next season. Several of them busted out career seasons and you wonder if they will be able to repeat that.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:43 PM   #40
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
His production numbers are mainly about December, which was atrocious. From Jan. 1 onward (until the last week) his numbers were not bad at all (not $10.5M, but also not $5M).
Granlund put up 60 points (12+48) on a terrible SJ team and was treated as a cap dump when he got traded. Nobody wanted him on the deadline either because he is a perimeter winger who's slow and his only ability at this point is making plays. He makes 5 million for one more year. No one would pay Huberdeau 5 million right now for seven more years. Cherry picking stats doesn't change that.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post: