Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-12-2017, 05:14 PM   #81
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I kind of think we've seen it three times, we saw her knowing about Luke on Bespin. We saw her knowing that Luke survived the second death star and we saw her knowing that her husband had died.

Maybe Leia is powerful in the force, maybe she's not. But I would think there's a reason why she's General Skywalker instead of Jedi Skywalker.

Maybe first of all, if you go back to episode one she's powerful in using the living force, she can sense things happening in the force and the force communicates with her in that way. In other words the force talks to her.

I always tended to think that Leia was never really interested in being trained as a Jedi, that her path lay along a different course then her brother. Maybe she was afraid of tapping into that power because of what happened to her father and she didn't want to be corrupted by it like he was.

I think there's an elegant argument for a scene in the next movie where she actively says that she hates the force. It took away her father, it took away her mother, it took away her husband, and it took away her son.

She could even feel that the force is a cruel burden that she doesn't want.

However she could use the force in the next movie as in sensing something that nobody else knows about, and that's all it would need.

But no I really don't want Leia to be involved in combat and if she was she pulls out a blaster instead of a lightsaber.

I also tend to think that with Carrie Fisher dying after her scenes shot that she probably survived the events of the next film, I tend to think of her having a death in the movie might be too emotional for the fans of the franchise to endure. I tend to think that I would almost like her to just simply leave the GFFA, step aside from the wars and the last we see of her is her ship going to lightspeed so we can always wonder what happened to Leia.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 06:22 PM   #82
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think there's an elegant argument for a scene in the next movie where she actively says that she hates the force. It took away her father, it took away her mother, it took away her husband, and it took away her son.

She could even feel that the force is a cruel burden that she doesn't want.

However she could use the force in the next movie as in sensing something that nobody else knows about, and that's all it would need.

But no I really don't want Leia to be involved in combat and if she was she pulls out a blaster instead of a lightsaber.
Pretty much exactly my feelings. I'd like it to be addressed somehow, and I'd like for her to do something more with the Force than worry about the men in her life. Nothing crazy character transforming, but something.

Btw, Rey is the first fictional hero my daughter has gotten excited about, and it's been kind of awesome to watch. It's one thing to be aware of the fact that girls want to see awesome female protagonists, but seeing her reactions really drove the point home for me. So yeah, one reason why I'd like to see Leia show some signs of Force power is because I know it would be a big deal for my daughter. Leias Force use was the first thing she wanted to talk about after RotJ ended. (Obviously Leia is her second favourite after Rey.)

But really it would make sense.

Last edited by Itse; 02-12-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #83
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Relevant:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-P...ams-98837.html
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #84
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Pretty much exactly my feelings. I'd like it to be addressed somehow, and I'd like for her to do something more with the Force than worry about the men in her life. Nothing crazy character transforming, but something.

Btw, Rey is the first fictional hero my daughter has gotten excited about, and it's been kind of awesome to watch. It's one thing to be aware of the fact that girls want to see awesome female protagonists, but seeing her reactions really drove the point home for me. So yeah, one reason why I'd like to see Leia show some signs of Force power is because I know it would be a big deal for my daughter. Leias Force use was the first thing she wanted to talk about after RotJ ended. (Obviously Leia is her second favourite after Rey.)

But really it would make sense.
My wife also mentioned this. Plus they didn't sexify her up with some skimpy sexy outfit to try to sell copies. She's just a bad ass hero who happens to be a female. It's great for girls and women everywhere IMO.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #85
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yes Disney made sure to check all the boxes with this new movie, empower women, racial equality, etc.. They've got the recipe for success spread through out all of their franchises, I'd love to be a researcher for Disney seems like you would always be on your toes.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:52 AM   #86
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Jedi is plural, other languages are less ambiguous.

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #87
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snoke clearly states Luke is the last Jedi in TFA. I don't know what all the consternation is about.

Doesn't Han even mention or allude that Luke is the last one at some point?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #88
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

so he makes more jedi
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #89
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Jedi is plural, other languages are less ambiguous.

Hollywood has become so secretive about leaks for these kinds of movies that they don't always give foreign translators any extra information, even if it would be crucial for a proper translation.

They also often these days have them translating from the soundtrack only, without the picture or the script. Obviously the results are often terrible. (Obviously not helped by the fact that the best translators sometimes refuse to work like that, in part because they have a reputation to protect.)

While you would think that they'd at least want to get the translation of the name right, the secretiveness has become so ridiculous that I wouldn't bet money on that translation being accurate either.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #90
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Snoke clearly states Luke is the last Jedi in TFA. I don't know what all the consternation is about.

Doesn't Han even mention or allude that Luke is the last one at some point?
I think it's all a bit of hooplah over nothing.

We know Luke is the last Jedi. We know he is going to provide Rey with Jedi training. Whether or not Rey gets enough training to be considered a Jedi and make it plural, if at all or before Luke dies, is really not all that important. It's really an issue of semantics at that point.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #91
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I think it's all a bit of hooplah over nothing.

We know Luke is the last Jedi. We know he is going to provide Rey with Jedi training. Whether or not Rey gets enough training to be considered a Jedi and make it plural, if at all or before Luke dies, is really not all that important. It's really an issue of semantics at that point.
I would like Luke to be unwilling to train Rey.

Based around all the pain and anguish that the life of a Jedi causes and how in the end everything around the Jedi crumbles to dust.

Sure he killed Palpatine and Vader died but what happened next? He tried to rebuild the Jedi and they were murdered and the darkness rose again anyways.

I'd like to see a Luke Skywalker that's really been destroyed and just wants to live out his life alone.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #92
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Based around all the pain and anguish that the life of a Jedi causes and how in the end everything around the Jedi crumbles to dust.

Sure he killed Palpatine and Vader died but what happened next? He tried to rebuild the Jedi and they were murdered and the darkness rose again anyways.

I'd like to see a Luke Skywalker that's really been destroyed and just wants to live out his life alone.

That's boring.

I want to see Luke full of vengeance and undo the First Order with a swing of his saber and have General Hux and Snoke both in a Force choke hold dangling them off an edge before he dispatches them.

And is it too GD much to ask to have Chewie finally rip someones GD arms out? He should rip Kylo's arms out and Rey ends him with a saber thru the chest (convenient Han throw back)
Old 02-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #93
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

Seems like Luke has gone to some pretty great lengths to preserve his own life and the Jedi secrets with it.

If he was that bitter, you'd think he'd give himself up or go down in a blaze of glory. He seems to be pulling the Yoda. Hiding out until it's safe, passing his secrets on, and then passing on himself.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #94
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

There is a deleted scene of Chewie ripping off that junkers arm in The Force Awakens.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #95
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
That's boring.

I want to see Luke full of vengeance and undo the First Order with a swing of his saber and have General Hux and Snoke both in a Force choke hold dangling them off an edge before he dispatches them.

And is it too GD much to ask to have Chewie finally rip someones GD arms out? He should rip Kylo's arms out and Rey ends him with a saber thru the chest (convenient Han throw back)
so Darth Skykiller then.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #96
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

Could actually work well...Chewie charges Kylo Rips of Kylo Ren's arms. Imperial forces catch up, Chewie is forced to flee. Kylo has cybernetic arms implanted, furthering his path towards becoming the next Vader.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #97
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
That's boring.

Not that it would ever happen, but it'd be awesome to see Luke just rampage through the bad guys for a whole movie. Like, "alright losers, I'm a full-fledged Jedi, been honing my skills for a decade in isolation, and I'm a freaking Skywalker. And now you'll all die. Wait 'til you see my next-level moves."

Movie three can be about the cleanup.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #98
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Not that it would ever happen, but it'd be awesome to see Luke just rampage through the bad guys for a whole movie. Like, "alright losers, I'm a full-fledged Jedi, been honing my skills for a decade in isolation, and I'm a freaking Skywalker. And now you'll all die. Wait 'til you see my next-level moves."

Movie three can be about the cleanup.
My name is Luke Skywalker, you killed my father, maybe not literally, that was mostly the emperor, plus he was old and more machine than man, but your evil organization is responsible for his figurative death, well the predecessor to your organization, at least until I felt the good in him and brought him back to from the dark side, prepare to die?

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 02-17-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #99
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
There is a deleted scene of Chewie ripping off that junkers arm in The Force Awakens.
Is it on the bluray extended?!
Old 02-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #100
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Luke is truly the last Jedi to ever exist. Rey will obviously, probably maybe be trained by Luke to use The Force but, maybe Luke's time away and all the reflecting he has done has prompted him to start something new.

Maybe he has learned that dark side powers and light side powers are all one in the same but it's the persons heart that makes the person dark or light. Maybe he will teach Rey to be the ultimate Force user. A combination of the Sith and Jedi... a... a... a Sithi... No, a Jedith.... Jith? Well, you get the picture.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote