Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #61
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I agree, I could've done without the USA, USA stuff. They used to be hostile and uppity to the crowd. This episode they were pandering to the American audience and the self deprecation felt off, forced and drawn out. I fear we will continually be hit over the head with how dangerous the track is and how Mike Skinner hates this and that but can live with it if there is no more scripted clowning with the audience segments. Top Gear was at its best when the presenters where able to react naturally so, just get to it.

But, I liked the fact that they made fun of the Star in a reasonably priced car segment (AKA the part everyone skips). Maybe Clarkson has finally realized he will never get a chat show. Boggles my mind that Chris Evans thought that making that segment longer was a good idea.

The cars and car segments were awesome.
I thought I was the only one that skipped ASIARPC segment. They were super boring.

The teaser that the guys did at the beginning of the series showed off some really great segments. With the seemingly unlimited budget that they have this is series is going to be magnificent. I wonder if they'll still be able to do those crazy challenges (e.g. race to X location in Y car).

For those that are lucky enough, they are shooting this show in 4K. I wonder if when the show comes Canada-side if that resolution will be available. Going a bit further, and a little off topic, I wonder if the release of The Grand Tour in Canada is the precursor to the launch of Amazon Prime video in Canada.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #62
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I agree, I could've done without the USA, USA stuff. They used to be hostile and uppity to the crowd. This episode they were pandering to the American audience and the self deprecation felt off, forced and drawn out. I fear we will continually be hit over the head with how dangerous the track is and how Mike Skinner hates this and that but can live with it if there is no more scripted clowning with the audience segments. Top Gear was at its best when the presenters where able to react naturally so, just get to it.

But, I liked the fact that they made fun of the Star in a reasonably priced car segment (AKA the part everyone skips). Maybe Clarkson has finally realized he will never get a chat show. Boggles my mind that Chris Evans thought that making that segment longer was a good idea.

The cars and car segments were awesome.
Yeah, I'm pretty glad they're skipping that and I hope that they continue to skip it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #63
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Season 2 of this show will be great.

I don't love the roving tent audience gimmick, I get it and we'll see how it is but If there's one thing I didn't like more than the reasonably price card segments, it was anything involving the audience.

It made sense in the hangar because they could get the cars in there and have cool large scale props etc but I wonder about how much they'll be able to do with this tent setup.

The cinematography was great, but I eagerly anticipate when they go to some more scenic locales. I want to watch Clarkson race a boat with an amphibious ATV on the Amalfi coast in 4k.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:13 PM   #64
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you have Amazon Prime you can now steam some shows, including Grand Tour. Just go to amazon.com and log in with your Amazon.com account and streaming seems to be available.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #65
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya getting rid of siarpc is a great call

It only worked when you had a guest who was in to cars, competitive, and who Jeremy liked

Jamirquoi, Simon Cowell, and Gordon ramsey are the only 3 I remember
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:15 AM   #66
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

SIARPC got better near the end of the run as they got bigger and bigger hollywood celebs on there. Watching Tom Cruise go around Gambon on three wheels was pretty epic.

But I won't miss it at all.

I also wonder if the travelling tent thing will only be for season 1?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:25 AM   #67
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The tent has got to be a bit of a logistical hassle. It's a lot to ship around, and each episode they would have to wire up all the lighting, electronics etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they ditched it after one season.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #68
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The tent has got to be a bit of a logistical hassle. It's a lot to ship around, and each episode they would have to wire up all the lighting, electronics etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they ditched it after one season.
I'm not sure where I stand on that.

On the one hand I agree with you, the tent is a logistical nightmare, theres even news stories about them having to suspend filming because the wind made it impossible inside the tent.

But its brilliant from a theatrical perspective.

But yeah, it wouldnt surprise me if, eventually, they did the tent thing occasionally rather than for every episode.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #69
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
If you have Amazon Prime you can now steam some shows, including Grand Tour. Just go to amazon.com and log in with your Amazon.com account and streaming seems to be available.
You need American Prime though. I only have Canadian Prime
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #70
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I have Canadian Prime and it works for me...
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #71
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Yep, I didn't do anything fancy with regards to American vs Canadian Prime. I purchased Prime through Amazon.ca (student) and that's the same account I'm using to watch the shows on Amazon.com Prime.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #72
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Seriously? I signed up for the 30 day trial of US Prime in order to watch.

It worked perfectly, didn't do anything special. I guess when it expires, I'll try this, if they haven't officially launched it worldwide at that point.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:35 PM   #73
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
Seriously? I signed up for the 30 day trial of US Prime in order to watch.

It worked perfectly, didn't do anything special. I guess when it expires, I'll try this, if they haven't officially launched it worldwide at that point.
Same thing I'm doing. Too bad I didn't know the Canada one would work, right now I'm using separate 30 day trials for both my Canada and US accounts
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #74
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Episode 2 Trailer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #75
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks good. I'm excited to see what the show could be now that they've gotten through all the set up stuff
Old 11-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #76
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Episode 2 was fun, a bit of a sophomore slump, but even then it was a solid, solid episode.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #77
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, if Episode 1 was an 8, that was a 3. Way to contrived. Hope this isn't the direction they stick with. The Vulcan bit was great though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #78
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole Special Forces training course was....repetitive and too campy... The whole it's so bad it's good....just didn't work I'm afraid.

Still better than most things Chris Evans did though.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #79
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah also not a fan of the second episode. If it's a pure entertainment angle they want to pursue, can we at least stick to car related challenges like the cheap car challenge, or road trips?
Old 11-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #80
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

With the next two episodes set in the same location I think they will be doing some older top gear stuff.I wonder what rights and ideas they are allowed to use from the old top gear.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote