Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #101
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Kind of boring. Not enough quality characters, though for a time TWD suffered from that problem too. The only guy that stands out is the spanish dad because he seems to have an interesting backstory and appears to know what's going on. For the start of an apocalypse in a densely populated area, though, you'd expect less sitting around playing board games and peering through windows, and a little more intensity and action..even in the suburbs. They're not inspiring much "fear" to this point. Some of the acting is abysmal too, which sticks out more with the lack of things happening.
ScorchyScorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #102
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchyScorch View Post
The only guy that stands out is the spanish dad because he seems to have an interesting backstory
Agree

Quote:
and appears to know what's going on..
Disagree
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #103
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping the neighbour we saw rolling out a garbage can joins the crew. He looks like he means business.

Speaking of garbage cans, I thought it was a nice touch to have everyone putting out their garbage, like things are still functioning normally. I was thinking, seriously guys, no one is coming to get your trash today.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #104
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I think it has more to do with his daughter saying "you said all our family was buried in El Salvador".

It appears he has experience with the army running things. You will note also, his wife said something along the lines of "your dad and I have been in worse situations".
Huh, interesting, I missed the buried part.

I didn't pickup on the wife saying "we've been in worse situations". I figured she was trying to downplay the situation and calm her daughter. That's why I love this thread, people interpret things differently. And now that I think about it, I suspect you are quite right.

Loving this show.....I really hope we aren't in full blown epidemic by ep 6.

Does anyone know if this season is a one and done or could there be other seasons?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #105
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The city wide black-out got me thinking of how screwed and utterly terrifying that would be.

At this point, I'm curious on what the local media, news, radio would be saying and reporting. There's still people rioting, people bringing out their garbage, unaware of the larger problem.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #106
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's currently confirmed for 2 seasons.

I really hope we get to see some cameo celebrity walkers latter on, since they are in LA. Oh Look, Arnie got bit! He always said he would be back!

BAM! Someone shoots Kanye. "always wanted to do that"

They could have some fun with it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #107
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone else find Travis' son Chris to be supremely annoying?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #108
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Anyone else find Travis' son Chris to be supremely annoying?
All three kids are extremely annoying but I find most teenagers to be that way in real life so it doesn't really bug me.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:21 PM   #109
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's currently confirmed for 2 seasons.
Niiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:29 PM   #110
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
I'm hoping the neighbour we saw rolling out a garbage can joins the crew. He looks like he means business.

Speaking of garbage cans, I thought it was a nice touch to have everyone putting out their garbage, like things are still functioning normally. I was thinking, seriously guys, no one is coming to get your trash today.
I think it was also an 'old habits die hard' sorta moment. No one is ready to let go, even though some of them are quite aware they should. A way to kinda tell yourself, 'everything is going to be alright'.

I'm surprised with the comments that said there wasn't much going on, re: playing board games. I was expecting slower build myself. More mystery, more 'what's going on?' We're three episodes in and society is near collapse. Remember, TWD started only a few weeks after everything hit the fan. Makes me wonder where they go with it in seasons to come. They're running out of timeline, unless they plan on running congruantly with TWD eventually. Or unless it's supposed to be a one and done suppliment.

And yeah. The acting. Whew, smelly. But the acting in TWD isn't stellar either. Better for the most part, sure. But not great. Helps they also killed off some of the worse actors (ACTRESSES).
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:36 PM   #111
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having an extra week between episodes was a bad move. I spent the first half of this episode trying to remember names and why I had started to care about some of the characters at the end of episode two. Hurts the momentum the show was trying to build.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:17 PM   #112
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The show is picking up the pace IMO. I do keep wanting to hear more about what's happening in the world, or scientific theories etc. but I guess that just is not what either series is about.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #113
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this show has really made me gain an appreciation for the Walking Dead. While watching the latest eposide they played a commercial for the Walking Dead and I was thinking to myself how I would much rather be watching that. Watching a bunch of unlikeable adults with their highly unlikeable kids has really made this show hard to watch.

To make matters worse the writers have the people doing illogical things like put on their headphones to listen to music when there's something outside making noises to your house. Or being angry at a person that just saved your life. I mean the nerve of the barber to shoot the neighbor in the head as all he did was eat a dog and try to eat the father.

Maybe things get better and one or all of the kids get killed and they make the Spanish barber the main character but this IMO simply isn't nearly as compelling as the Walking dead.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #114
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was thinking, seriously guys, no one is coming to get your trash today.
Or ever again!

I've been reading that many viewers are tuning out of this series. Not enough action for them, I guess. Don't they understand that this was setting up the zombie apocalypse. It will take a few weeks to get rolling. I'm enjoying it and am anticipating all **** to break loose.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2015, 12:54 PM   #115
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting to see which side of the fence people fall on between TWD and FTWD (is that a thing yet?).

I told my wife that I think I'm going to like this series more than TWD. If looks could kill...
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #116
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Or ever again!

I've been reading that many viewers are tuning out of this series. Not enough action for them, I guess. Don't they understand that this was setting up the zombie apocalypse. It will take a few weeks to get rolling. I'm enjoying it and am anticipating all **** to break loose.
It still has monster ratings in the key 18-49 demographic in comparison to everything on TV other than TWD, the Voice, Empire, the Big Bang Theory and the NFL. Even TWD's ratings usually take a drop after the season premiere.

If FTWD settles in the range of the third episode, or even 75% of it, AMC should be very happy given how low rated its other scripted series are.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #117
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I don't the problem is lack of action - it is terrible acting. TWD has a mix of bad acting and good acting. On FTWD it is pretty universally bad.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:12 AM   #118
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Fear the Walking Dead : Aug 23

I don't know, I am loving FTWD. I've always loved apocalypse type shows but something showing this stage of it just get me (heck I even keep telling my wife how we should of built a "secret bunker" in our house just in case). I don't fine the acting any less than TWD but I also don't watch these shows for that. They are just fun fantasy, what if, what would I do type fun shows to shut your "real world mind" off too. I just wish they would show how people in our climate would adapt.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:54 AM   #119
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I don't the problem is lack of action - it is terrible acting. TWD has a mix of bad acting and good acting. On FTWD it is pretty universally bad.
It`s not the acting. It`s the direction that the director is giving the actors. FTWD has a strong cast for the main characters. I haven`t seen the 3rd episode yet however.

Think of Star Wars episode 1-2-3. Those are not bad actors but the writing and direction were turd. I feel bad for Hayden Christensen as that dude acted remarkably for the direction and writing he was given, but he hasn`t been in anything important since.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:25 AM   #120
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I think shows such as Sons of Anarchy have proven that you can get around substandard acting if you make the story compelling and keep a brisk pace.

While I agree the acting is not a strong suit IMO the writers haven't given them much to work with. It's not the actor's fault that I hate the kids in the show as the girl in particular is cute but the writers have chosen to portray them in such an unsympathetic manner that it's hard to have a vested interest in any of these people surviving. Rick from episode one in the Walking Dead was always a compelling character that you rooted for. There's no Rick in this show and it's a problem.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: