Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2015, 10:44 PM   #181
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thought the finale was good. I won't post any spoilers as of yet. I will say though that regardless of where they take it from here, we really only got 5 episodes of "sort of the start of the outbreak" before it simply became another Walking Dead.

Kind of feel cheated based on what this show was "supposed" to be.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 12:21 AM   #182
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Thought the finale was good. I won't post any spoilers as of yet. I will say though that regardless of where they take it from here, we really only got 5 episodes of "sort of the start of the outbreak" before it simply became another Walking Dead.

Kind of feel cheated based on what this show was "supposed" to be.

See the way I look at it is,how long do you expect it to last? It is not a slow change.

People are biting and eating each other and then the cycle goes on.

I agree it is becoming another "Walking Dead ... West Coast"

P.S Into The Badlands looks awesome.

Last edited by calgarybornnraised; 10-05-2015 at 01:19 AM.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:54 AM   #183
Knut

Exp:

Why is LA so devoid of Walkers while the woods of Georgia are full of them ?
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #184
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
Why is LA so devoid of Walkers while the woods of Georgia are full of them ?
You had thec military still doing patrols and taking them out. Once the military is gone expect it to get worse.

Also walkers have a natural tendency to form herds and walk endlessly. It makes sense that they'd eventually walk out of the cities.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #185
Torrie the Whaler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

You see all the abandoned cars on the freeway, did they just stop and people left? Only on the right side of the road?
LA sure emptied out 10 million people really fast?
Old 10-05-2015, 09:35 AM   #186
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was kind of hoping the cast would get trimmed down a bit more going into season 2. Oh well. I'll check it out again when it returns. These first six episodes were good enough to keep me interested.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:34 AM   #187
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
I won't post any spoilers as of yet.
The episode has already aired, so spoilers are fine. Nobody should be reading if they haven't watched the latest episode yet.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #188
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well I guess it filled the time while we were waiting for the main series to resume.

It was ok, but I cant say I will be checking on premiere dates for season 2.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:02 AM   #189
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie the Whaler View Post
You see all the abandoned cars on the freeway, did they just stop and people left? Only on the right side of the road?
LA sure emptied out 10 million people really fast?
The city of LA is a huge mega sprawl in terms of geographical size. It's actually more a series of cities of about 500k or less all loosely attached by highways.

What they're depicting isn't totally unrealistic. You also have to remember it's been about a month since the outbreak began.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #190
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

*delete* duplicate post

Last edited by greyshep; 10-06-2015 at 12:23 AM. Reason: duplicate post
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #191
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I think I have figured out what is missing for me. I guess it's a little bit of the "Shaun of the Dead" style, where odd things happen and seem to be dismissed. (Without the humour aspect.) Newscasters telling people to avoid the infected; maybe even telling them to neutralize the brain. There could have been more around the military where we see how they went from checking houses to killing civilians. (Like the guy who was found dead with a gun in his hand.) There also could have been more around how the people had to be left behind in the arena along with the infected.

Like others have said, this moved a lot quicker into another TWD than I had hoped for. The one good thing from this week that I liked was them showing LA- all dark except for places on fire. Entire neighbourhoods destroyed by fire, etc.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #192
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really enjoyed that episode. The scene with the thousands of walkers was excellent. It portends of what's to come. While I hated to see the ex-wife go I liked how they handled it, except I wish they had shown her being killed. I'm looking forward to season 2 and TWD on Sunday.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #193
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Just watched the last 2 episodes, and really disappointed with how they handled the military aspect. Guy uses a .50 cal sniper rifle on a zombie and it makes a small hole in their head, where in reality he could have shot anywhere on the torso and the whole body would have exploded. Then the "hold the fort" guys in the finale all being terrible shots and one gonzo decides to charge into the middle of the pack with a riot shield

For how slow and stupid these zombies are, it was weak seeing how quickly the military folded. After reading World War Z, I'd love to see that made into a mini-series and show how a realistic government response could unfold in a zombie apocalypse
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #194
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, I wish a show about zombies would be realistic.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:54 PM   #195
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Just watched the last 2 episodes, and really disappointed with how they handled the military aspect. Guy uses a .50 cal sniper rifle on a zombie and it makes a small hole in their head, where in reality he could have shot anywhere on the torso and the whole body would have exploded. Then the "hold the fort" guys in the finale all being terrible shots and one gonzo decides to charge into the middle of the pack with a riot shield

For how slow and stupid these zombies are, it was weak seeing how quickly the military folded. After reading World War Z, I'd love to see that made into a mini-series and show how a realistic government response could unfold in a zombie apocalypse
Apparently the show suffers from serious budget issues. They couldn't afford the effects to show zombies from the crowd being obliterated.

It was pretty silly to see a line of soldiers with heavy calibre weapons and zombies being protected by a chain link fence. In reality if a corridor of people came at you like that, you could obliterate them with the weapons and the corpses would form a wall. Some of this weapons were firing rounds that would tear through a dozen people at that range.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 12:20 AM   #196
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Man, I wish a show about zombies would be realistic.
It's never been done before, aside from the World War Z book. That's why it was such a fun read, it made the zombie hoards something that could be beaten with the right tactics. The unstoppable zombie wave that decimates everything has been done to death
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:29 AM   #197
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

That finale was terrific, sets up season 2 well with lots of options to where they go from here. It seems they will take to the ocean, should be interesting to see how they play that.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:04 AM   #198
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meh. It was okay. There were a lot of aspects I liked and a lot I didn't, but overall I guess it was a good series premier season. Bring on TWD 6 next week!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #199
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
That finale was terrific, sets up season 2 well with lots of options to where they go from here. It seems they will take to the ocean, should be interesting to see how they play that.
On The Talking Dead afterward, they talked about how getting to the boat would be a bit of a task and they also talked about what would be waiting for them on the water once they get there as others living that close to the water would be heading for boats as well.

Pirates! Yay! Ooooooo....zombie pirates.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #200
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like the concept of the show. It's just a different take on the zombie apocalypse, where zombies aren't actually in the forefront of the show. It becomes a bit more of a "what would you do" type of show. Would the military actually act similarly? Would we react similarly to the civilians? Yeah some of the minor details get screwed up. Welcome to fictional TV. Just accept that it comes with the territory.

Also, people always talk about how taking to the water would be the best alternative in the z-apocalypse. Now we get to see an ocean scenario play out. I never really considered piracy as an issue before, so it'll be fun to see how that goes.