Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #221
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
It's surprising how many people say this, and how cliche it might seem, but really really REALLY cherish them when they are little and not as independent. As much as I love my 3.5 year old boy running around, talking to him, and starting to show interest in things I like, those first 2 years, are forever etched in mind. I miss my son when i could cuddle with him at will, hold him endlessly, and unhindered pampering. While my son is still a cuddle monster now, his toddler mind can only handle so much smothering. lol
Absolutely this! That cliché "oh they grow so fast" is so, so true. One day you look back at photos and realize that you didn't notice them changing from baby to toddler to fully grown kid. It actually makes me a little sad. I just have the one, but I wish someone had told me beforehand to try to cherish every single moment. Unlike you though, my son is 8 and I wish he was still 3 or 4. He was so cute and cuddly then with a cheeky little grin and I wish I could go back in time and hold him again at that size. Of course, in 10 years I'll be saying "man I wish he was 8 again"
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #222
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Another memory from the hospital. Not sure if anybody else had a similar experience. When I had to fill in the paperwork to register the birth of our first child, the first blank cell on the form said "Father's Name". I had no idea why they would need to know my dad's name and as I was writing down my dad's name, I realized I was the father! Man, that realization hit me like a ton of bricks.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #223
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I only have two ragrets so far with my now 3 year old son:
  1. Not having twins. Can't do anything about that I guess.
  2. Not taking more photos of my pregnant wife. It all went by so fast and I was so wrapped up in things like making money to buy stuff, getting stuff ready, making sure we had enough stuff, etc... I learned very little of that matters. I think I have like 5 crappy iphone photos of her super pregnant and it makes me sad. Please take more photos will-be dads.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #224
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
During the hour or so of waiting time (wife is in labor) I actually finally signed up for CP! LOL. I remember trying to figure out a username and looking down at my phone and noticing I had a hospital band on each one of my wrists/arms. One that was just placed on me for the birth and the other from the evening before as I had to take my daughter in to a different hospital for an ear infection or something of the sorts. Not sure how it ended up as "2ArmBands" but I assume everyone here sees me as a gym meathead with 2 tribal tattoos or something!
Lol. I just assumed you were a referee
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #225
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Whenever I see the title of this thread I think of this...

savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #226
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My kids are pretty much grown (17 & 19), but my pearls of wisdom might be; they do grow up so fast that you really need to cherish those moments and don't be afraid to get down and play with them.

For every "first" it seems like there are more "lasts". My daughter recently got her drivers license so I have driven her to school for the last time. The last time napping with them on my chest. The last time they sat on my knee and ate half my supper. The last time they run to the door when you get home from work.

Some "lasts" are subtle and just fade away and some are abrupt and just end. So relish in those moments cause one day there will be a last time.

Get down on the ground and play the way your kids want to play. I used to have my own Bakugons, Pokemon cards, and dolls. I used to take them to the park and play "grounders" with them. Those are the times and things that stick with them, my kids anyways. Because there will be a last time you play Hot Wheels with your son or have a Tea Party with your daughter.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:21 PM   #227
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
My kids are pretty much grown (17 & 19), but my pearls of wisdom might be; they do grow up so fast that you really need to cherish those moments and don't be afraid to get down and play with them.

For every "first" it seems like there are more "lasts". My daughter recently got her drivers license so I have driven her to school for the last time. The last time napping with them on my chest. The last time they sat on my knee and ate half my supper. The last time they run to the door when you get home from work.

Some "lasts" are subtle and just fade away and some are abrupt and just end. So relish in those moments cause one day there will be a last time.

Get down on the ground and play the way your kids want to play. I used to have my own Bakugons, Pokemon cards, and dolls. I used to take them to the park and play "grounders" with them. Those are the times and things that stick with them, my kids anyways. Because there will be a last time you play Hot Wheels with your son or have a Tea Party with your daughter.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:04 PM   #228
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can see several lasts closing in fast. Last time they reach out to hold my hand. Last time they want to play lego. Last time they run home from the playground.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:10 AM   #229
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

This is such a powerful post. Thanks for this. Life happens so quickly advice like this is so important. As every year passes it amazes me just how quickly it goes by. I think one of the biggest knocks on life is how weak our memories are. I feel like I can barely remember the early years of my kids and they aren't even that old. It pays to take a step back and really engage yourself and make an effort not to take anything for granted.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:14 AM   #230
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I'm far from hitting those milestones, but I think you hit the nail right on the head. Agreed with the previous poster, this is an incredibly powerful post.

One of my 'lasts' was subtle too, and seems to have finally faded out. That was my son wanting to fall asleep on my chest. I always thought i should have regiment for him growing him, and teach him to sleep on his own etc etc. My wife thought otherwise, and co-slept (We still co-sleep most of the time, at least putting him down now, and then tuck and roll). It's a decision that I'm so grateful she made and held on to, because I absolutely cherish and miss the days he fell asleep on my chest willingly.

Honestly to all new parents, just enjoy every last moment. For every 'last', there will be a new 'first'. Don't be too hard on yourselves, and like another poster said, don't be afraid to get down and dirty with them. There is absolutely nothing shameful about looking like an idiot in front of your kids, if it makes them happy and it really has no detrimental effect on you other than maybe your pride. The times I've danced like a weirdo at the grocery store just to hear my son laugh, will trump any feeling of self consciousness.

One of the best pieces of advice I've ever heard was from my uncle, and that was 'be present'. As important as taking care of yourself and your partner is, try to not think so much when you're in your kids presence. Enjoy the moment. I've taken that to heart since having my son, and I have few regrets.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 09:04 AM   #231
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am looking forward to the last diaper, though.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #232
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I am looking forward to the last diaper, though.
There are definitely some good lasts. I'll put last formula out there too - I can't stand the smell of that stuff.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #233
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I only have two regrets so far with my now 3 year old son:
  1. Not having twins. Can't do anything about that I guess.
  2. Not taking more photos of my pregnant wife. It all went by so fast and I was so wrapped up in things like making money to buy stuff, getting stuff ready, making sure we had enough stuff, etc... I learned very little of that matters. I think I have like 5 crappy iphone photos of her super pregnant and it makes me sad. Please take more photos will-be dads.
Quote:

I have twins, they turned 17 this year. I'm so glad we had them and would not trade the experience for anything despite all the extra work and sometimes BS that comes with it. Radio, your post is fantastic and sums many of my thoughts too. It also reminds me of one of the downside of twins. All their 'first's' are also my 'lasts', everything comes in a double shot and then it's over. You guys with more than one get to experience the joys multiple times which is one thing I think I miss.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 09:17 PM   #234
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

First flight with our 2 year old in a few days. Any tips for flying with toddlers?
We have planned:
-iPad
-Stickers
-Colouring/Drawing pad
-Snacks
-iPad
...putting blind faith into him taking a nap at some point too

Any other pro-tips?
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #235
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bring the car seat on board. It's the perfect baby jail, kid is used to the seat, has slept and will sleep in it, it's safer than the lap belt, and you can make them stay belted in. I did it every flight.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #236
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
First flight with our 2 year old in a few days. Any tips for flying with toddlers?
We have planned:
-iPad
-Stickers
-Colouring/Drawing pad
-Snacks
-iPad
...putting blind faith into him taking a nap at some point too

Any other pro-tips?
We did this recently too and I was terrified.

One thing that worked well is that once the flight was at cruising altitude and we could walk around, I walked him up and down the aisle. We chatted with the flight crew at the back and front of the plane. We stopped to say hello to random people that were interested in talking to him. Other than that, have their favorite movie on an iPad.

One other tip is to fly early in the day. The earlier the better. If you don't fly until a nap time or worse, near bed time, you're in for a cranky hot mess of a child.

That's all I got. Hope it works out for you!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #237
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't stress out about all the dirty looks you get when your child is melting down.

Most people know your trying or are laughing because they have been there before.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #238
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Carseat...great plan! Hadn't thought about that ,(had one available at our destination).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

One other tip is to fly early in the day. The earlier the better. If you don't fly until a nap time or worse, near bed time, you're in for a cranky hot mess of a child.

That's all I got. Hope it works out for you!
Cool thanks! Great idea in walking up and down saying hi to people...right up his alley.

Funny you say that on timing. We are flying to a more regional airport so had limited timing options (ie, we have to be at the airport when he would start his nap, and takeoff is about when it ends), so, hopefully he enjoys his sleep in that morning!
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:54 PM   #239
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Make sure there's a sticker on the car seat with CMVSS on it. It's the Maple Leaf logo sticker. I was only asked twice or three times to see it, but I'm glad it was there. You are allowed to bring it onboard and it's super easy to belt in with a lap belt.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:59 PM   #240
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are flying from Sydney to Calgary via San Francisco with a 10 month old in a couple of weeks. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact it will be the most horrible experience of my life.