Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
Guest1

Default National Drowning Prevention Week!

Just something that is close to my heart Read the facts... some of them are interesting. Stay safe! http://www.lifesavingsociety.com/med..._2017-july.pdf
#NDPW2017
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Swimming lessons should be mandatory for all children.

I don't understand parents who will put their kids through years and years of soccer or hockey and seem to think a couple years in swimming is good enough.

I know it doesn't guarantee they won't drown and some suggest it might give too much confidence in your ability in rougher waters, but it's literally the only sport that can save your life.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wow, even with the downward trend in deaths way more people drown than I had thought every year and so many from Ontario.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the graph legend is mixed up on page 2 there. The average number of deaths per year is 464, and the death rate per 100,000 is 1.3, right? But that's not what it indicates.

Anyways, time to bust out my handy "How Best to Not Drown" flow chart.

(Basically) Fool proof!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coincidence?

OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
Guest1

Yes. I believe it's a life skill as well. What scared me today was that I put my 7 year old in a swim day camp with the city and that out of 27 kids over 75% were in beginner levels! And these are kids that are aged 7-12 years old! IMO more than that should be competent enough to swim at least a length of the pool...
And in reality, the majority of the posters on this board fit into the highest demographic for drowning deaths (young, male adults)
And living in a (the best) lake community, what irks me the most is parents that just stick their kids in a lifejacket or PFD and let them run loose with no supervision! <shudder> That should go in the gear grinder page.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #7
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Coincidence?

Meh... he gets to wear a monofin. He should beat it. (FYI, in Lifesaving Sport we wear those kinds of fins, but use a bi-fin... not the mono. They get you going pretty fast!)
Old 07-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #8
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I can remember a summer in my youth where we were required to swim a length of the pool before lifeguards would let any of us in the pool for group games.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've done my part to prevent drowning by not installing a backyard pool this year.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #10
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
Just something that is close to my heart Read the facts... some of them are interesting. Stay safe! http://www.lifesavingsociety.com/med..._2017-july.pdf
#NDPW2017
Seems appropriate to note here that I currently (temporarily) have in my possession the first ever awarded Mountbatten Medal "for the most courageous rescue or rescue attempt in the Commonwealth by the holder of a Royal Life Saving Society Award."

Unfortunately, I have it because my mother died of cancer at the end of last month and I borrowed it to display at her funeral. It was a very special and also sad moment to have Robert (Bob) Wardle there to tell the story how he, as a 15 year old kid, saved my then 2.5 year old mom from drowning.

Because of Bob having just finished his training as a lifeguard in small-town Alberta he was able to pull off a truly heroic rescue (on his day off no less) and give my mom a second chance at life - leading to her having three sons and seven grandchildren. In an interesting little twist, my family now lives literally 2 blocks away from Bob and his wife on the same street and he often gets to witness the results of the amazing thing he did over 65 years ago.

The official citation does not do justice to the story, but here it is:

https://www.lifesaving.org/web/LSpages/LS.php?e=294

Quote:
ROBERT BYRON WARDLE
of Tilley, Alberta, Canada - 1951

While playing with her brother, a little girl fell into a cistern which had been placed below the surface of the ground. By reason of the small opening and the depth of the water it was necessary for Robert Wardle to get into the cistern, feet first with no possibility of escaping without help.

Lack of light, coldness of water, board and a nail keg, and other refuse which children at different times had thrown in the tank, hampered Robert from locating the body at the bottom of the cistern. Having done so, he brought her to the surface and passed her through the small opening. The water in the cistern was 10 feet deep, the manhole to the cistern was about 18 inches square and three feet above the surface of the water. The diameter of the cistern was just 5 feet.

The child had been in the water for about 10 minutes, breathing had stopped and the patient looked blue. Robert Wardle applied artificial respiration and the child was afterwards taken to the hospital suffering from shock. After two days she made a complete recovery. Robert Wardle is a holder of the Bronze Medallion award.
For obvious reasons I cannot say enough in support of every child being taught to swim. And it is truly my honour to share how special of a person Mr. Wardle is to our family.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #11
Guest1

I'm geeking out right now! That story is pretty cool! One of my team mates that will be competing with me in Africa in August won the Russell Medal. He got to meet the Queen last year to receive it:

Quote:
"RUSSELL MEDAL recognizes a person 18 years or younger, who during the previous calendar year has carried
out the most outstanding resuscitation or attempted resuscitation of a person. The person must also be the
holder of a lifesaving award delivered by a Royal Life Saving Society Member Branch anywhere in the
Commonwealth.
On July 4, 2015, 16 year old Tyler Bailer, of Wetaskiwin, saved his stepdad David’s life. On this day, his
stepdad, David, experienced cardiomyopathy (heart failure) while he was at home. He had no previous
symptoms prior to this event.
Tyler’s mother, Heather, called out to Tyler, who was downstairs at their home. Tyler came running up the
stairs and immediately started CPR. While Heather was on the phone with 911, Tyler continued CPR for 7
minutes until the ambulance arrived. Four EMT’s took over CPR and started emergency treatment at the
Bailer’s home. David was in cardiac arrest for 45 minutes. The EMT’s were able to regain David’s pulse as
they were on route to the Wetaskiwin Hospital and Care Centre. All of the emergency personnel, cardiologists
and nurses, repeatedly asked who had performed CPR, and commended Tyler on how skillful and successful
he was at administering CPR for the first time, especially on a family member, and without injury to the patient.
Tyler’s quick thinking and Lifesaving Society First Aid training sustained breathing and blood flow to David’s
lungs and brain until emergency medical services arrived. David has since made a full recovery.
Tyler has been involved in Lifesaving Sport since he was 5 years old. He is now 18 and continues to participate
and compete in Lifesaving Sport. He is a Lifeguard at the Manluk Centre; teaches swim lessons and coaches
with the Wetaskiwin ORCAS Lifesaving Team; as well as continuing his own personal training. Tyler competes
at provincial, national and international lifesaving events.
In September 2016, Tyler represented Canada on the Youth Lifesaving Team at the Lifesaving World
Championships in the Netherlands and in November will represent Canada to compete in the Orange and
German Cups in the Netherlands and Germany respectively.
For his quick response and outstanding effort in the resuscitation of his stepdad, Tyler Bailer is awarded the
Russell Medal. Tyler will accept the Russell Medal at a reception at Buckingham Palace in London in November
as part of the Royal Life Saving Society’s 125th Anniversary celebrations"
Old 07-26-2017, 07:06 PM   #12
Guest1

NDPW is over, but there is an article about 3 of my National team mates and our trip to the Commonwealths. I didn't know where to put it... I didn't want to start a new thread just to gloat about my team mates... And I'm getting REALLY excited about the trip! I leave in 9 days!!!

http://www.wetaskiwintimes.com/2017/...n-south-africa