Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2011, 04:41 AM   #1
Rifleman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Thumbs up 3D Schools/Training - Recommend Me A Couple!

Hey Y'all,

I've been interested in getting into a 3D modelling course for awhile, and decided I should look into it this year, as it's something I did when it first came out, with Infini-D, but I didn't keep up with it and eventually lost all my mad skillz.

Is there any school people here recommend and some that I should stay away from? I'd prefer Autodesk Maya.

Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What are you looking to do? Video games and vfx? There are schools for those I am sure. I can ask the guys at work here where the majority of them went (many international people here) but we use Maya quite heavily.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey man,

I really strongly recommend you try and learn on your own...the schools will cost a fortune and in my experience their credentials could be spurious.

I learned Maya through youtube tutorials, there's millions of AWESOME tutes out there for free, and you can download a free trial of maya from the autodesk website. Try this first before chucking your money away.

If you've done it in the past then obviously you have the aptitude so I have little doubt you'll be successful in learning on your own. Good luck!

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have only taken an intro graphics course, so my advice is more from a general computer knowledge viewpoint.

If you understand the basic concepts, and have a good foundation of what is happening at the base level, then learning any tool you use to accomplish what want to do will be reasonably easy with things like youtube videos, or a good book.

If you don't understand the basic concepts and will have to spend hours understanding things like basic texturing or what a b-spline curve is (or whatever is relevant in Maya modelling), then a course might be the best way.

Worst case, try the video/book method and if it doesn't work, take a course.

One thing to consider, although Autodesk software is crazy expensive (Maya is like $3500?) , you can get a 3 year license for free if you are registered as a student ( see http://students.autodesk.com/ for details). I don't know the institution qualifications, but as a UofC student I had no issues. If the class you sign up for offers this benefit, then maybe it isn't as expensive as it might seem.

edit: They also have some videos on the autodesk site, but don't know how useful they would be.

Last edited by Rathji; 04-06-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

For all the money you will spend on school, buy gear instead.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

I second the learning on your own thing. I did that with 3DSmax and it worked out well. I went from barely being able to create a preset teapot to this;

in a couple of months. Mind you, that's not mind-blowing by any means and I was terrible at texturing and UV mapping, but hey...it was out of boredom, not money.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the same boat except I do know how 3D model with 3D Max and I'm actually helping make an independent WW2 game but I just don't feel like I have enough knowledge to land a job at a game studio so I'm thinking of going back.

I've been inquiring about different schools in the Vancouver area and the one that I've been told to stay away from is the Art Institute of Vancouver. They don't require a portfolio which means they'll let in anyone in who is willing to fork over $40k and apparently AI has a terrible reputation in the game industry.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
Rifleman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I did learn a bit by getting the trial version of Maya and trying that out. I got stuck on texturing though.

The reason why I ask about courses is because there's something to be said about going to a class, being surrounded by like-minded individuals, and trying to help each other out and answer or ask questions. I find I learn quicker this way.

Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went to SFU and all my classes were in 3D.

Highly recommended.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote