Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #1061
zyzz
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Fisher View Post
What the Flames are proposing with Calgary Next will be just as bad IMO.
Based on the terrible renderings, the football stadium seems like an airport / mall and the arena looks like the Bankers Hall 4 level mall with the high tiered wall of boxes.
Have they even showed any picture of the potential concourse for either of the buildings? What are you going off here? Please show me the pics you are talking about

Last edited by zyzz; 10-27-2016 at 07:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to zyzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 07:32 PM   #1062
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to school in Edmonton. Never saw sweatpants with good shoes but there were a ridiculous amount of people wearing tucked in jerseys at the mall
Old 10-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #1063
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

E=NG forever but just once in a lifetime of bad decisions and foul ups they do the right thing and make the exception for the late claiming 50/50 draw winner.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:04 PM   #1064
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hmm from my time in Edmonton I seem to recall downtown being pathetically small compared to other cities.
So I don't doubt it would take no time to get out of there.
And the lack of traffic would not doubt be in part to there being no other places to go around there .

I haven't lived in Dedmonton for a long time but it still remains NG
Old 10-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #1065
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the death of Vine, let us not forget this classic courtesy of Ryan Whitney:

https://vine.co/v/ObuxP1ZbdVj
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #1066
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Good on the Oilers, they deserve it. Hope to check out their new rink
Old 10-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #1067
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Good on the Oilers, they deserve it.
They deserve nothing but perpetual 30/31st place finishes.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #1068
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Good on the Oilers, they deserve it. Hope to check out their new rink
No. No they don't.

Why do people continue to say this? Boggles my mind. Maybe it's just cause I live in Edmonton, but yeah I'll never say this.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:45 AM   #1069
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless you live there as a non-Oiler fan, I don't think people truly realize just how arrogant that fanbase can be, for literally no reason. It boggles my mind. 25 year olds talk like the dynasty years just happened and they witnessed them first-hand. Every Oiler fan clings to that history and beats their chest about it still, like it was a recent accomplishment.

Even coming off the 2015 playoff run going into last season, I wasn't nearly as confident/cocky about the Flames chances as the average Oiler fan was about their playoff hopes going into that season. They get amnesia every off-season regarding what happened the year before, every year. Always so supremely confident, I don't get it.

Last edited by Sainters7; 10-28-2016 at 07:54 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2016, 07:57 AM   #1070
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Unless you live there as a non-Oiler fan, I don't think people truly realize just how arrogant that fanbase can be, for literally no reason. It boggles my mind. 25 year olds talk like the dynasty years just happened and they witnessed them first-hand. Every Oiler clings to that history and beats their chest about it still, like it was a recent accomplishment.

Even coming off the 2015 playoff run going into last season, I wasn't nearly as confident/cocky about the Flames chances as the average Oiler fan was about their playoff hopes going into that season. The get amnesia every off-season regarding what happened the year before, every year. Always so supremely confident, I don't get it.
Agreed, I am going through it right now. Just like the Oiler trolls on this board though they go pretty quiet around December and make excuses, then by February they choose their whipping boy and blame everything on him. Then summer rolls around and they are the greatest team on the planet, and "the Flamers" (oh so clever!) suck.

wash (yeah right!), rinse, repeat
The Following User Says Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #1071
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Unless you live there as a non-Oiler fan, I don't think people truly realize just how arrogant that fanbase can be, for literally no reason. It boggles my mind. 25 year olds talk like the dynasty years just happened and they witnessed them first-hand. Every Oiler fan clings to that history and beats their chest about it still, like it was a recent accomplishment.

Even coming off the 2015 playoff run going into last season, I wasn't nearly as confident/cocky about the Flames chances as the average Oiler fan was about their playoff hopes going into that season. They get amnesia every off-season regarding what happened the year before, every year. Always so supremely confident, I don't get it.
I lived there for three and a half years and can 100% confirm everything you're saying. It was painful.

I did make a lot of money off Oilers fans though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dieHARDflameZ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #1072
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule14 View Post
No. No they don't.

Why do people continue to say this? Boggles my mind. Maybe it's just cause I live in Edmonton, but yeah I'll never say this.
he's just trolling. it's all he does on here now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #1073
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost comical to observe the unadulterated cockiness and arrogance of Oiler fans.

After a complete decade of absolute shattiness....still no humility.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:03 AM   #1074
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No. No they don't.

Agreed.
As said above, the arrogance without cause that is pervasive through much of the media and fan base deserves perpetual last place finishes.
That said, I lived among them for more than a decade, and have several good buddies who are fantastic hockey/Oiler fans. I am happy these guys finally may have something that gives them legitimate hope. But this is a small percentage of the fan base, in my experience. The rest can rot in futility.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #1075
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you heard this one?

July to October - "Suck it Flamers and the rest of the League...and oh btw 5-1" and "Gotta get my posting count up on CP and some other sites".

November to June - "I'm more of a hockey fan and I don't really cheer for one team exactly" and "What's an interwebz? Who has time for that?".

On the rink, I have not attended an event there yet however even amongst Tier 1 fans they believe that the Bathroom situation is a mess, and "the same hassle as Rexall". If they spent a hundred bajillion trillion dollars on it, at least it is new.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #1076
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was at the last preseason game vs Vancouver in Edmonton. These are my thoughts:

It's big, but it's really plain. That is going to come with time I'd imagine but it was just huge open space with grey walls and the occasional Gretzky poster

The concourse in the press level is just as congested as the domes main concourse. This is what I was most surprised at - I knew the building would taper off after the 15 minute escalator ride but the lines for everything up top is awful

The view of the ice is incredible

The scoreboard is...too big. From where I was sitting it was actually distractingly bright during the game. You'd probably get used to it

Overall it was pretty good, but affirmed my position that I don't want to spend public dollars on a new rink. Once the puck dropped it was no different than sitting in the dome or any other rink in the leqgue
Old 10-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #1077
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Oilers don't falter this year I swear some people are going to have identity crises.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:30 AM   #1078
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
No. No they don't.

I'd say the fans that stuck by their team through the last era deserve it.

Did fans that stuck through the Young Guns era not deserve '04?
Old 10-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #1079
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I'd say the fans that stuck by their team through the last era deserve it.
the ones who bragged about losing and being the worst team in the league and who mocked the Flames and other teams for not doing the same? No. #### them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #1080
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
the ones who bragged about losing and being the worst team in the league and who mocked the Flames for not doing the same? No. #### them.
I don't feel like that's the common Oiler fan. Every Oiler fan I've talked to in person has been quite reserved outside of the occasional good stretch to start the season.

As fun as it was to have our biggest rival also be the worst franchise in sports for nearly a decade, it'll be more fun when we have a competitive BoA.
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread