Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #1
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon38 The conceptual penis as a social construct

http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/...ender-studies/

Quote:
The Hoax
The androcentric scientific and meta-scientific evidence that the penis is the male reproductive organ is considered overwhelming and largely uncontroversial.

That’s how we began. We used this preposterous sentence to open a “paper” consisting of 3,000 words of utter nonsense posing as academic scholarship. Then a peer-reviewed academic journal in the social sciences accepted and published it.
The "paper" itself isn't that long. My favourite part of the paper is:
Quote:
Manspreading — a complaint levied against men for sitting with their legs spread wide — is akin to raping the empty space around him.
The full paper is here
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Where do people find this stuff?
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Where do people find this stuff?
I found this on Sam Harris' podcast. Listening to him read the conceptual penis was awesome.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once post-modernism became legitimatized in the academy - once everything we see or believe came to be regarded as a social construct - all sorts of nonsense took root.

We're learning more and more about the mind and human behaviour, with real science and empirical data to back it up. The gulf between the deeply politicized social sciences and genuine science is getting wider and wider. Much of the content taught in sociology, etc is as arcane and woolly as traditional religion.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
RyZ
Old 07-23-2017, 08:38 PM   #5
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Once post-modernism became legitimatized in the academy - once everything we see or believe came to be regarded as a social construct - all sorts of nonsense took root.

We're learning more and more about the mind and human behaviour, with real science and empirical data to back it up. The gulf between the deeply politicized social sciences and genuine science is getting wider and wider. Much of the content taught in sociology, etc is as arcane and woolly as traditional religion.
Spent a lot of time in social science faculties recently have you there, Cliff? This trite wouldn't make the reading lists of even the fringiest of gender studies classes.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:25 PM   #6
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Spent a lot of time in social science faculties recently have you there, Cliff?
No. But Steven Pinker has.
Spoiler!

And so has Debra Soh.
Spoiler!

And Jonathan Haidt.
Spoiler!

For a thorough look at the subject: Are the Social Sciences Undergoing a Purity Spiral?

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 07-23-2017 at 11:35 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 11:43 PM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that the exposure of the pay to publish problems in this article are obviously more important then the paper itself which almost read like an encoded document for the CIA.

It would be interesting to know how many professors use this type of service just to keep up their publication list and that their actual work submitted was not as much reviewed and understood, but published upon the clearing of their check.

In other words the publication's integrity itself was put on trial.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:07 AM   #8
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I'm considering posting this "paper" to my Facebook and seeing if anyone endorses it.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:17 AM   #9
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm actually really happy that I have no idea what this thread is about.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 04:25 AM   #10
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I'm actually really happy that I have no idea what this thread is about.
I'm wondering why a Philadelphia Flyers logo in the thread title?
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Yamoto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 06:05 AM   #11
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing new under the sun, but I have a huge problem with this being framed as somehow a social sciences thing.

Well known fact: a lot of supposedly "peer reviewed journals" are BS. This is not a social sciences phenomenon, it's a publishing phenomenon. I'd go as far as to say that these guys are not really sceptics trying to unlight pseudoscience, but just some guys (unsurprisingly guys) purposefully framing a real issue incorrectly so they get to badmouth gender studies and social sciences in general.

Here's another example of what gets published in other fields. Digging up more examples isn't hard.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ne.../#.WXXhijy0nbg

Quote:
A number of so-called scientific journals have accepted a Star Wars-themed spoof paper. The manuscript is an absurd mess of factual errors, plagiarism and movie quotes. I know because I wrote it.
Quote:
The American Journal of Medical and Biological Research (SciEP) accepted the paper, but asked for a $360 fee, which I didn’t pay. Amazingly, three other journals not only accepted but actually published the spoof. Here’s the paper from the International Journal of Molecular Biology: Open Access (MedCrave), Austin Journal of Pharmacology and Therapeutics (Austin) and American Research Journal of Biosciences (ARJ) I hadn’t expected this, as all those journals charge publication fees, but I never paid them a penny.
Here's an example of what "peer reviewed" can mean. In other words: just because a journal says it's peer-reviewed, doesn't make it so.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/22/s...-journals.html

Quote:
The applicant’s nom de plume was not exactly subtle, if you know Polish. The middle initial and surname of the author, Anna O. Szust, mean “fraudster.” Her publications were fake and her degrees were fake. The book chapters she listed among her publications could not be found, but perhaps that should not have been a surprise because the book publishers were fake, too.

Yet, when Dr. Fraud applied to 360 randomly selected open-access academic journals asking to be an editor, 48 accepted her and four made her editor in chief. She got two offers to start a new journal and be its editor. One journal sent her an email saying, “It’s our pleasure to add your name as our editor in chief for the journal with no responsibilities.”
In other words:

A whole bunch of "science journals" have figured out that science publishing is basically free money. The reviewers don't get paid and scientists desperate to get published are willing to pay for the privilege of getting their work out. Once people get published in a journal, they have no interest in calling those journals out because it might hurt their own careers.

It's a natural result of the "publish or perish" science funding system really.

Last edited by Itse; 07-24-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 06:36 AM   #12
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the real meat of that article is this:

Quote:
For a minimal payment of $625, Cogent Social Sciences was ready to publish, “The Conceptual Penis as a Social Construct.”2

There seems to be a deeper problem here, however. Suspecting we may be dealing with a predatory pay-to-publish outlet, we were surprised that an otherwise apparently legitimate Taylor and Francis journal directed us to contribute to the Cogent Series.
I think this comment from that page puts this in the proper light:

Quote:
Who got hoaxed here? It looks like the respectable journal sniffed out that your stuff was stinky and decided you could be fleeced for a few bucks in a vanity publication.
Which I would agree is a problem and highlights an ethics problem with scientific journals.

However, I still think the guys writing this article are being ridiculous.

Take this part for example:

Quote:
Portland State University has a fund dedicated to paying fees for open access journals, and this particular journal qualified for disbursement. For ethical reasons, however, we did not apply for funding, which in this case was virtually guaranteed. Instead, the article was externally funded by an independent party. We never received an invoice from the journal. We did not pay to have this published.
So in other words they got someone else to shell out $600+ to publish their drivel, but go out of their way to obscure that fact and keep insisting that the main problem here is gender studies.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #13
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The article is a fair parody of some of the post-modern gibberish that gets published in gender studies journals these days. Reading it is fairly hilarious, and its accuracy is obvious just by looking at https://twitter.com/realpeerreview and seeing what gets past peer review in these fields.

That being said, this hoax failed - they tried to get it published in a bunch of journals and were rejected. Like, desk rejected, not even getting to the peer review process. Then they published it in a "pay to play" journal, and treated that as if it proved their point. Not that the point needed to be proved, but if you were trying to out a journal as having inadequate standards, well, at best, this incident was evidence to the contrary.

Moreover, here's the O.G. of academic hoaxes, writing a paper about how little they actually demonstrate even if they do go off as planned: http://www.physics.nyu.edu/sokal/noretta.html

So yeah, funny... and Lindsay and Boghossian are smart dudes with good heads on their shoulders for the most part. But their reach exceeded their grasp on this one.

It's worth listening to the podcast Lindsay did with VBW about this (they were hugely critical of him and Boghossian, and Shermer for publishing about it in Skeptic). https://verybadwizards.fireside.fm/118?t=1875 - The interview starts somewhere around the 31 minute mark.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #14
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
We're learning more and more about the mind and human behaviour, with real science and empirical data to back it up.
This statement conflicts with this statement.

Quote:
The gulf between the deeply politicized social sciences and genuine science is getting wider and wider. Much of the content taught in sociology, etc is as arcane and woolly as traditional religion.
I would call bull#### on this. While I do find there is a lot of junk research going on, I don't think it is is any different in the social sciences from any of the other schools of scientific inquiry. The requirement to publish drives scientists from all schools to produce, and some of the stuff is pretty sketchy. Oh, and if you believe that the social sciences are a monoculture, try walking into any of the sciences departments and observe them. They are no different. Why? Because they all are trained to think about their subject matter in very specific ways and are from the same school of thought with the same interest. They are who they have been trained to be and who they wanted to be. This isn't news to anyone who spends five minutes on a campus.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:41 AM   #15
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

my cat's name is rocky and his breath smells like cat food
Old 07-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #16
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know about you guys, but the space in front of me is getting seriously violated right now.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 08:37 AM   #17
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
While I do find there is a lot of junk research going on, I don't think it is is any different in the social sciences from any of the other schools of scientific inquiry. The requirement to publish drives scientists from all schools to produce, and some of the stuff is pretty sketchy. Oh, and if you believe that the social sciences are a monoculture, try walking into any of the sciences departments and observe them. They are no different. Why? Because they all are trained to think about their subject matter in very specific ways and are from the same school of thought with the same interest. They are who they have been trained to be and who they wanted to be. This isn't news to anyone who spends five minutes on a campus.
As someone who's dabbled in many social sciences, I'd actually agree that there is a real problem of worthless pseudoscience or now debunked theories being treated as relevant, and I doubt the same problem exists with hard sciences. However, it's more an issue of wasting disproportionate amounts of time with what is in essence the history of the field. (Creating a small army of confused and/or frustrated students in the process.) Whether or not for example Lacan is pseudoscience doesn't much matter because you're not expected to take it as a fact. It's just "interesting" or "a tool for analysis".

By far the worst I've gotten into is economics, where people constantly refer to unproven or in some cases even debunked macroeconomic models as if they were facts. Some of those people even make serious high-level economic decisions based on them, often causing serious harm. (Mostly to someone else.)
Old 07-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #18
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
https://twitter.com/realpeerreview and seeing what gets past peer review in these fields.
I took a quick look at that. You seriously think that's worth your time? That's like a parody of a some old guy frothing at the mouth for all the liberal nonsense these days.

At the top of the page, they're just repeatedly demonstrating their confusion between the concepts of heterosexuality and heteronormativity, thus completely missing the point of an article they're supposedly "poking fun at". Many articles linked are not even from peer-reviewed sources. A lot of "fun" (which sounds more like anger to me) is just about the fact that people actually study things like interpretative dance, or female queer bathhouses. Oh the morality, people study things I'm not at all interested in!

It's not like there isn't a lot of bad papers out there, but that's a pretty sad feed. I've read a lot funnier stuff by people in the actual fields. I guess the difference is that it's actually funny when the critic knows what their talking about.

Last edited by Itse; 07-24-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #19
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The abstracts that they put up are consistently hilarious. Some of them are mind-boggling in the "how could anyone think this was worth writing about" sense. But in just about every case, it's borderline Onion material. I mean, here's the most recent one:

How is that not inherently funny?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 07-24-2017 at 09:04 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #20
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The abstracts that they put up are consistently hilarious. Some of them are mind-boggling in the "how could anyone think this was worth writing about" sense. But in just about every case, it's borderline Onion material. I mean, here's the most recent one:

How is that not inherently funny?
Okay granted, that one is pretty funny

I'll still stand by my main crititicism. For my tastes, too much of the stuff seems to be either bad faith readings, misunderstandings of the topic, stuff not actually peer reviewed or just rants against people generally studying things like queer female bath houses.

EDIT:

Actually reading it further it just seemed that my quick sample size wasn't really representative of the whole. Which I guess is mildly ironic

Last edited by Itse; 07-24-2017 at 09:58 AM.