Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #101
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
He is arguably the best player in the NHL. The Oilers did what every team that is ever in that position should do. You sign the player to the longest term you can at the money it takes to get the deal done.

The amount of Oilers hatred that fogs some peoples views on this forum to the point they can't make sense of what is just a common sense hockey signing is absolutely baffling.

I dislike the Oilers as much as anyone but at the same time this is a good signing no matter how you look at it, the kid is going to be the best in the game for the next 10+ years. You do what you need to to make that deal happen. If you lose Draisaitl so be it, Draisaitl is no McDavid and if it comes down to making a choice between the two, they made the right/only choice there is to make.

Lol so we aren't allowed to poke fun that the Oilers will have 22 mill locked up in 2 players? Lots of talk about comparing this situation to chicago's, whose Edmontons Keith? How about Seabrook? Crippling contract
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #102
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Thats just bitterness talking. I'd easily trade Guadreau and Monahan for McDavid at $13 mill.
It is eh? Weird. I just thought it was how I felt as a hockey fan, who understand and appreciates McDavids talents.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #103
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I haven't even seen one person say it was too much money or a bad contract. What we are saying is that Oiler fans were delusional about what he'd sign for.

What we are also saying is that that money, plus Draisaitl, plus Russell, plus Lucic, plus RNH is going to make life very difficult for future cap management. They need to sign or replace Maroon. They need to sign or replace Talbot. Strome is going to be an RFA in one year. Same with Nurse. Same with Caggiula, Benning, Pakarinen and Slepyshev. Their top 4 D (lol) all make over 4, and if they ever want an actual elite defenceman, it's gonna be hard.
All irrelevant imo, you sign McDavid to maximum term and worry about the rest later. He made Maroon, he made Draisaitl a better player. If it comes to it they will let go of Maroons of the team and find cheaper replacements.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #104
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are oiler fans freaking? I think they made off like bandits. McDavid could have asked for max $15m or 5 years and oil wouldn't have had a choice.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #105
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was wondering if #CMcD97 might take jersey # based contract (e.g. 7 yrs $13.86mil = $97 mil) a la Sid #SC87 back in the day - so close! https://www.nhl.com/news/crosby-peng...nsion/c-636359
Old 06-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #106
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Thats just bitterness talking. I'd easily trade Guadreau and Monahan for McDavid at $13 mill.
Call me a homer but I wouldn't. I guess we'll see whose right in the near future...
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #107
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Lol so we aren't allowed to poke fun that the Oilers will have 22 mill locked up in 2 players? Lots of talk about comparing this situation to chicago's, whose Edmontons Keith? How about Seabrook? Crippling contract
Edmonton is (poorly) modeling after the Penguins, except for the fact that Draisaitl will never be able to hold Malkin's jock
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #108
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

People are saying that this is a great contract if they don't make drafting and development mistakes.

This is being uttered a week after losing a first and a second round pick for absolutely nothing, in the name of 'Griffin Reinhart'.

It's one thing to not be able to develop, but it's hard to develop out of thin air. That's the exact mistake that cannot happen with top heavy teams, and they've already made a few of them.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #109
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Edmonton is (poorly) modeling after the Penguins, except for the fact that Draisaitl will never be able to hold Malkin's jock
This is the real problem in Edmonton. Malkin has arguably been the second best player in the world over the duration of his time in Pittsburgh. Draisaitl never will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #110
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I think TV money drying up will be the biggest story over the next decade. ESPN is making headlines right now with their huge losses due to cord cutting and the resulting loss of carriage fees. RSNs don't make as many headlines, but their losses should be mirroring ESPN. I'd suspect the next wave of local TV deals to have some serious market corrections in the US, and some smaller, independent RSNs may fold if they can't pay out the lucrative rights deals.
The other thing to consider: The union is expected to go to war once this CBA expires. Ostensibly, eliminating escrow will be the stated concern, but that would take about three seconds to do if they were so inclined. The NHLPA is going to be trying to find a way to break the cap system entirely. So on multiple fronts, the future landscape is undefined.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #111
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

What happened to 9.7M lol
Old 06-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #112
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what the opposite of a NMC is - he may have asked for it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #113
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The other thing to consider: The union is expected to go to war once this CBA expires. Ostensibly, eliminating escrow will be the stated concern, but that would take about three seconds to do if they were so inclined. The NHLPA is going to be trying to find a way to break the cap system entirely. So on multiple fronts, the future landscape is undefined.
Zero chance of that happening. If anything the Cap % will be lower if the players aren't careful.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #114
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I wonder what the opposite of a NMC is - he may have asked for it.
MMC

Must Move Clause

Kicks in at year 5
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Benched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #115
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I went in expecting 12 for 5 or 14 for 8, I came close.

I tend to think that with the exception of expansion money that the expectation is that the cap is going to remain flat for a few years. With the drop of the Canadian dollar and commodities pricing I doubt many teams are going to see Cap relief through increases.

On one hand the Oilers did well on this in way by getting a 8 year term they can say they've secured their future, and McDavid wins the public relations battle, (I signed for 8 years and gave you a 1.75 million a year home town discount.

On the other hand, am I convinced that McDavid is an Oiler by the end of the contract? I'm not, If the Oilers don't take advantage of what I see as a short window to win er all he'll be leaving.

looking at not this season but next season, and playing the assumption that Draisiatl gets 7.5 which I tend to think is the upper limit of non insanity

This is what the Oilers have under contract.

RNH 6
Lucic 6
McDavid 13.25
Kassian 1.95
Poulliot 4
Khaira .675
Draisaitl 7.5

Sekeras 5.5
Klefbom 4.167
Larsson 4.167
Russell 4
Gryba .900

Talbot 4.167

They would need 5 forwards at least one blueliner and a backup

Even if the cap went from this years 75 million to lets say 76 million that leaves about 14 million to fill that in.

Looking at free agents for the year after this one

Strome (RFA) Letestu (UFA) Slepysheve (RFA) Maroon (UFA), Cagigula (RFA), Pakarinen (RFA) Nurse (RFA) Benning (RFA) Broissent (RFA)

The current totals for those players are roughly 13 million, so they can't afford to give raises even if the cap goes up slightly.

The year after that the big one is Cam Talbot.

Its probably doable for the Oilers but they're going to have to make some bold moves to do it.

If Draisaitl signs anything about 7.5 it becomes an almost impossible task without dumping a lot of salary and playing very thin.
Don't forget they have Puj

So he can be a cheap fill in but may have bonus money, etc.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #116
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
That would lead to a lockout. Based on how stagnant revenues are likely to be over the next 3 years I would be shocked if the PA pushes to another lockout.

Another lockout will likely do some long term damage to the league and for the players.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #117
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 06-28-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #118
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Call me a homer but I wouldn't. I guess we'll see whose right in the near future...
Pretty hard for McDavid to outscore both of them combined...maybe I'm a homer too
Old 06-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #119
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta say, it's a good deal for the Oilers. The money is fair value, but the term totally favours the Oilers. 4 years of UFA is a steal for them.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #120
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I agree that McDavid's contract SHOULDN'T be a hindrance to the Oilers as he does deserve that money, the Oilers are going to be in trouble building a championship caliber team.

What I consider overpaid - Lucic, RNH, Russell, Sekera (guy has one 30 and one 35 point season with the Oil @5.5), and Fayne (but he is entering the last year of his deal).

That's too many bodies making more than they are worth. Every team has one or maybe 2 poor deals, but no team has a 13+ million dollar player either. They don't have a 2nd line center/1st line RW'er that is about to become a predatory offersheet target either. Talbot also has 2 years left on his current deal (paying him 4.1), and I imagine he is in line for a solid raise.

Can they build a championship caliber roster with that contract? Absolutely. They just can't have any bloated contracts anywhere else in the lineup. Interesting to see how they manage their cap moving forward given the existing pieces on the team, and they holes they have long-term.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote