Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #81
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
As some of said, having a player that gets that kind of money is a good thing to have, if the Flames had the "McDavid problem" I'd be ecstatic.

But it does raise some issues, and takes away a lot of wiggle room. The Penguins have done really well to be top heavy for years, but they've developed a lot of good young talent, not an Oiler strong point. They really can't make mistakes, and you could argue they already have two in Lucic and Russell.

Comes down to crude oil oddly enough. Crude goes back to $100 the Canadian dollar will go back to par, and the Canadian teams will bring in 30% more revenue, and the cap will go up every year.

Crude stays at $40 and we could even see a cap contraction.
I think TV money drying up will be the biggest story over the next decade. ESPN is making headlines right now with their huge losses due to cord cutting and the resulting loss of carriage fees. RSNs don't make as many headlines, but their losses should be mirroring ESPN. I'd suspect the next wave of local TV deals to have some serious market corrections in the US, and some smaller, independent RSNs may fold if they can't pay out the lucrative rights deals.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #82
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is McDavid worth two Gaudreaus? He's a center and reigning Hart Trophy winner, but you need good depth in order to win the Cup and in the NHL it costs a lot to get good depth guys. Unless you're good at developing young players, but we know the Oilers are terrible at that.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #83
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
As some of said, having a player that gets that kind of money is a good thing to have, if the Flames had the "McDavid problem" I'd be ecstatic.

But it does raise some issues, and takes away a lot of wiggle room. The Penguins have done really well to be top heavy for years, but they've developed a lot of good young talent, not an Oiler strong point. They really can't make mistakes, and you could argue they already have two in Lucic and Russell.

Comes down to crude oil oddly enough. Crude goes back to $100 the Canadian dollar will go back to par, and the Canadian teams will bring in 30% more revenue, and the cap will go up every year.

Crude stays at $40 and we could even see a cap contraction.
Let's face it; Oil is never going back to $100 a barrel.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #84
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone290 View Post
What part of "Get to UFA asap so you can make big bucks faster" does McDingus not understand?
Yea because signing a fully guaranteed contract for $106MM for the next 8 years is leaving money on the table!

He's still only going to be 29 when this contract expires and can re-negotiate a new contract extension at 27/28. probably guaranteeing another $75MM+

Also, you have to remember this is $13.25 Million in USD That's around $17.3MM CDN right now

Last edited by MacDaddy77; 06-28-2017 at 09:14 AM.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #85
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Let's face it; Oil is never going back to $100 a barrel.
I never say never with commodities.

That would get me fired
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #86
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, makes me glad the Eichel has just been regular 'great', and not a Hart Trophy/Art Ross winner so far. Sign him to a more reasonable long term contract and start winning awards later, please. That's crazy money.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:16 AM   #87
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Is McDavid worth two Gaudreaus? He's a center and reigning Hart Trophy winner, but you need good depth in order to win the Cup and in the NHL it costs a lot to get good depth guys. Unless you're good at developing young players, but we know the Oilers are terrible at that.
I'd love to see McDavid on the Flames and have a 300 page thread about contract speculation. He's a great player. You can still build depth with a guy getting paid that much but you have much less wiggle room for bad contracts. Lucic, Russell, Pouliot... That's going to be the problem. We know Draisaitl is up for a big deal but what about beyond that? Maroon has been up and down for them but still a decent player, I doubt they can afford him. RNH probably isn't coming back. They better start winning now because their window is going to snap shut just as fast as it opened.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:16 AM   #88
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Eight years is a major win for the Oilers. Not sure why the McDavid camp would go that route unless they feel the salary cap has kind of plateaued which is very possible.
I think the threat of a career ending injury is a motivator. Let's not forget that he already missed significant time in one season due to injury.

It's a big cash in for the agent as well as the player and he was probably pushing for McDavid to sign longer. It doesn't matter to the agent where the player plays as long as he gets paid.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #89
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's actually still a pretty good deal. They got the term and that's what matters.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #90
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

$13.25 million = McDavid - 30g 70a
$13.125 million = Monahan - 27g 31a + Gaudreau - 18g 43a

Rather have the latter.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #91
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post
I'd love to see McDavid on the Flames and have a 300 page thread about contract speculation. He's a great player. You can still build depth with a guy getting paid that much but you have much less wiggle room for bad contracts. Lucic, Russell, Pouliot... That's going to be the problem. We know Draisaitl is up for a big deal but what about beyond that? Maroon has been up and down for them but still a decent player, I doubt they can afford him. RNH probably isn't coming back. They better start winning now because their window is going to snap shut just as fast as it opened.
Horrific drafting and development alongside UFA deals have obliterated their window.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #92
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Yea because signing a fully guaranteed contract for $106MM for the next 8 years is leaving money on the table!

He's still only going to be 29 when this contract expires and can re-negotiate a new contract extension at 27/28. probably guaranteeing another $75MM+

Also, you have to remember this is $13.25 Million in USD That's around $17.3MM CDN right now
Not that he's leaving money per se, but in theory, he could of put more pressure on the oilers by signing whatever will take him to UFA quickest with this amount, and get a raise even sooner, thus (hopefully) creating more cap crunch at that time
TBone290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:23 AM   #93
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Lucic and Russell contracts will hurt, as everyone said. Their GM needs to take a page out of Tre´s playbook and move on from guys like Maroon and not handcuff his team further. He´s a decent player but not the kind of guy you give big term and dollars to. Let´s see him put up those numbers without playing with McJesus.

For sure he´ll deal the tenderness soon too
Old 06-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #94
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't think there was any doubt he would have gotten paid. This is beyond the Oilers or his desire to win in Edmonton. He is the new benchmark for NHL and his contract will be the new standard of comparison for other players. His agent and the NHLPA would be under pressure to set the bar as high as possible.

Was probably also wishful thinking on my part that he only sign for 5 years. Hockey is fast and rough game, no guarantee that he doesn't suffer a concussion or breaks something. Better for him to take what he can get now

Maybe a mistake for the Oilers GM not to make a side deal to have Vegas take Pouliot or another useless contract just for some cap help.

LChoy
Old 06-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #95
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if they pay Draisaitl over 7 (as expected), I really hope they have to play them together, like they did 70% of the time this year. Because the only way that pay structure works at all is if you spread the talent out a bit. Otherwise they are paying $20M for McDavid's point totals and not much more, since he and Draisaitl will be together on most goals for the line.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #96
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

He is arguably the best player in the NHL. The Oilers did what every team that is ever in that position should do. You sign the player to the longest term you can at the money it takes to get the deal done.

The amount of Oilers hatred that fogs some peoples views on this forum to the point they can't make sense of what is just a common sense hockey signing is absolutely baffling.

I dislike the Oilers as much as anyone but at the same time this is a good signing no matter how you look at it, the kid is going to be the best in the game for the next 10+ years. You do what you need to to make that deal happen. If you lose Draisaitl so be it, Draisaitl is no McDavid and if it comes down to making a choice between the two, they made the right/only choice there is to make.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:27 AM   #97
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
$13.25 million = McDavid - 30g 70a
$13.125 million = Monahan - 27g 31a + Gaudreau - 18g 43a

Rather have the latter.
Thats just bitterness talking. I'd easily trade Guadreau and Monahan for McDavid at $13 mill.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #98
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I went in expecting 12 for 5 or 14 for 8, I came close.

I tend to think that with the exception of expansion money that the expectation is that the cap is going to remain flat for a few years. With the drop of the Canadian dollar and commodities pricing I doubt many teams are going to see Cap relief through increases.

On one hand the Oilers did well on this in way by getting a 8 year term they can say they've secured their future, and McDavid wins the public relations battle, (I signed for 8 years and gave you a 1.75 million a year home town discount.

On the other hand, am I convinced that McDavid is an Oiler by the end of the contract? I'm not, If the Oilers don't take advantage of what I see as a short window to win er all he'll be leaving.

looking at not this season but next season, and playing the assumption that Draisiatl gets 7.5 which I tend to think is the upper limit of non insanity

This is what the Oilers have under contract.

RNH 6
Lucic 6
McDavid 13.25
Kassian 1.95
Poulliot 4
Khaira .675
Draisaitl 7.5

Sekeras 5.5
Klefbom 4.167
Larsson 4.167
Russell 4
Gryba .900

Talbot 4.167

They would need 5 forwards at least one blueliner and a backup

Even if the cap went from this years 75 million to lets say 76 million that leaves about 14 million to fill that in.

Looking at free agents for the year after this one

Strome (RFA) Letestu (UFA) Slepysheve (RFA) Maroon (UFA), Cagigula (RFA), Pakarinen (RFA) Nurse (RFA) Benning (RFA) Broissent (RFA)

The current totals for those players are roughly 13 million, so they can't afford to give raises even if the cap goes up slightly.

The year after that the big one is Cam Talbot.

Its probably doable for the Oilers but they're going to have to make some bold moves to do it.

If Draisaitl signs anything about 7.5 it becomes an almost impossible task without dumping a lot of salary and playing very thin.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:36 AM   #99
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
He is arguably the best player in the NHL. The Oilers did what every team that is ever in that position should do. You sign the player to the longest term you can at the money it takes to get the deal done.

The amount of Oilers hatred that fogs some peoples views on this forum to the point they can't make sense of what is just a common sense hockey signing is absolutely baffling.

I dislike the Oilers as much as anyone but at the same time this is a good signing no matter how you look at it, the kid is going to be the best in the game for the next 10+ years. You do what you need to to make that deal happen.
I haven't even seen one person say it was too much money or a bad contract. What we are saying is that Oiler fans were delusional about what he'd sign for.

What we are also saying is that that money, plus Draisaitl, plus Russell, plus Lucic, plus RNH is going to make life very difficult for future cap management. They need to sign or replace Maroon. They need to sign or replace Talbot. Strome is going to be an RFA in one year. Same with Nurse. Same with Caggiula, Benning, Pakarinen and Slepyshev. Their top 4 D (lol) all make over 4, and if they ever want an actual elite defenceman, it's gonna be hard.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #100
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

This is why they didn't need to re-sign Kassian. No its not a ton of money but they need that space wherever they can get it and he's the type of player you can just let go.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote