Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #761
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
So this rumour is effectively dead, yes? If it was as close to happening as was implied we would have heard something form a reputable source by now.
Maybe. But Treliving also seems to be prioritizing his RFA signings before adding any new players to the roster. Until Sam Bennett is extended and until Iginla lands elsewhere I don't see why this rumour should be dismissed altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 07-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #762
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
So this rumour is effectively dead, yes? If it was as close to happening as was implied we would have heard something form a reputable source by now.
I don't think it was ever closer than the re-signing of Bennett. As that remains unresolved so does this rumor.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #763
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone been to an Orange Julius lately?
Old 07-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #764
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't say it was dead, more like 'on hold' - at least until Bennett's contract is done. Which is what many of us predicted anyways.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #765
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more the Iginla rumours die, the more the Jagr rumours stay alive! Cast your wand, Mr. Trevelyan, and bring Jagr home!
Old 07-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #766
zunie75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
The more the Iginla rumours die, the more the Jagr rumours stay alive! Cast your wand, Mr. Trevelyan, and bring Jagr home!
Like 006? The guy who betrayed Bond?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zunie75 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #767
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Jagr is the preferred 40+. So if he signs elsewhere Iginla will be option B.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #768
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
IIRC Francis wrote a column stating that Iginla wasn't going to sign with Calgary so Feaster was forced to trade him. I like the background Calgary4Life gives though that he didn't want to stick around for a rebuild, which is fair.
Let's say you're the face of the franchise of the team. The GM says, "Hey, it's not you that's the problem..". Then the next season comes along and everything falls apart. The GM comes to you and says, "we're gonna do a rebuild for this team and we have some options: 1) We likely want to trade you to get some value for the rebuild and so that the team can tank as deep as possible or 2) we can still keep you around, but we won't be will building another team around you". Once you're told that you're no longer valuable to the team, I'm not sure if you'd want to stay. Would you want to stay with a company if you're being told to GTFO, even in a nice way?

It's likely that the ownership gave Iggy the options due to total respect so that it gave him a chance at the Cup - it's what Sakic did last year when he traded Iggy to LA. But when the team fails you and you're shown the door, man, it's a hard pill to swallow. What Sakic did and what the Flame did are actually two different scenarios. Iggy asked Sakic, but the Flames asked Iggy.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #769
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There's a reason the Fan 960 hasn't made this a regular discussion and it's because many know the relationship went a little sour at the end. It's why I keep saying that neither party is likely interested in a reunion.
This is so stupid. Different GM, Different team. Same owners, same logo, same fans. He owns this logo, fans love them. The only "sour" thing would be owners which I'm sure Treliving can patch things over. Too much has changed and too many faces have changed. He would come back for the fans and for his emotional attachment to this team. That's it. The rest is bull

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #770
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunie75 View Post
Like 006? The guy who betrayed Bond?
Hell yeah
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #771
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's no way of me providing proof but I remember my mom telling me before the season started up again that one of her co-workers has a brother who lives in St. Albert and knows Iggy. Iggy was at his place and had bit too much to drink and told him something along the lines of "You know this is probably going to be my last year in Calgary right?".

I think Iggy hoped things would work out in Calgary that would make it easier for him to decide to stay but when the opportunity came to go to a team with a good chance at winning a Cup he was going to take it.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #772
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
There's no way of me providing proof but I remember my mom telling me before the season started up again that one of her co-workers has a brother who lives in St. Albert and knows Iggy. Iggy was at his place and had bit too much to drink and told him something along the lines of "You know this is probably going to be my last year in Calgary right?".

I think Iggy hoped things would work out in Calgary that would make it easier for him to decide to stay but when the opportunity came to go to a team with a good chance at winning a Cup he was going to take it.
Was that this off season - or the one just before he left?

Most likely you are referring to the later, but could be interpreted as Iginla planning a final return if former.

Last edited by Yrebmi; 07-19-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #773
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
Was that this off season - or the one just before he left?

Most likely you are referring to the later, but could be interpreted as Iginla planning a final return if former.
During the lockout before his final season with the Flames.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #774
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't think it was much of a shock that Iginla's last year with the Flames, was in fact, his last year with the Flames. The team wasn't good and management finally decided to tear it down. As many have said on this site, it probably should have happened earlier, and that is no slight on Iggy. It just needed to happen.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #775
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't shocked but there was part of me that thought maybe he would do what the Sedins are doing and give up a Cup to play for one team. Hearing that just prepared me for when it did happen.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #776
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's Eklund, but he's "hearing" Edmonton is looking hard at Iginla and also that the Blues have been in contact with Iginla.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #777
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
It's Eklund, but he's "hearing" Edmonton is looking hard at Iginla and also that the Blues have been in contact with Iginla.
I don't personally buy into anything Eklund says, however I do think St. Louis would be a good fit.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #778
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
IIRC Francis wrote a column stating that Iginla wasn't going to sign with Calgary so Feaster was forced to trade him. I like the background Calgary4Life gives though that he didn't want to stick around for a rebuild, which is fair.
Eric Francis is certainly known for his meticulous high quality journalism...
Old 07-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #779
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
with how weak Edmonton is on that wing, I'd be shocked if Edmonton wasn't looking at him.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #780
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
with how weak Edmonton is on that wing, I'd be shocked if Edmonton wasn't looking at him.

I don't see them as being all that weak on the wings.

RW Depth:
Strome
Puljujarvi
Kassian
Pakarinen

...and if they run Draisaitl on the wing again? That's pretty solid depth.
Closed Thread