Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #441
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
What fitness level is required for Berg Lake?
What have you done in the past? Its not an easy hike but anyone used to backpacking shouldnt have a problem. First day shouldnt be a problem, second is where you go up I think 100m/km for 5 km (which is alot) and thats really the only tough part.

It is an amazing trip. I had it mapped out and took my GPS watch (amazing to have on the trail so you know where you are and how long till you get there).

On the pain vs enjoyment barometer it swings wildly toward enjoyment.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #442
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
What fitness level is required for Berg Lake?
How many days?

If you camp halfway at whitehorn on the way in anybody can do it. Doing it all in one day you will have wanted to cover the distance and elevation on a dayhike before with some extra pack weight.

A 4 night trip camping in whitehorn, 2 nights at berg, and whitehorn again is an easy trip or even hiking all the way out the last day is fairly easy as your pack will be lighter than. Then on your day at berg you can choose between Mumm basin/Hargreaves loop (easier) or snow bird pass (harder). Or stay the extra day and berg and do both.

Only the section from whitehorn to Berg is somewhat strenuous as it gains about 600m in 4k. It takes 2-3hrs to cover it slowly then you are relatively flat. So even if you aren't in good hiking shape you suffer through that section and the rest is easy. The trail is in excellent shape the whole way

The key in all this is a reasonable pack weight. Carry 20lbs and it's an easy day hike to do the whole thing. Carry 60lbs and it's a sufferfest.

So to answer your question if you can hike 10k round trip with 300m of elevation on a day hike you can build an itemary for you to enjoy berg lake.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #443
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Any easy-ish overnighters?
I've been to Point in Kananaski and it's a pretty nice campsite too. Would be a nice one to just go out to camp.

Anything recommended in Waterton?
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #444
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just hiked Peaks 1 & 2 on the Chief in Squamish, BC for the first hike of the year, definitely going to feel it tomorrow. ~4.5 - 5 hr hike.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #445
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingyul View Post
Any easy-ish overnighters?
I've been to Point in Kananaski and it's a pretty nice campsite too. Would be a nice one to just go out to camp.

Anything recommended in Waterton?
Forks in Kanaskis is a flat 8k and is a nice campground with firewood and a river flowing by. If you stay their 2 nights you can do a packless hike up to 3 isle lake which has a cool steep section through a crack in the head wall with giant stairs to make it easier on day 2. Then you hike out on day three or do it all in two days as their is a campground at lake about 10.5k.

Elk lake (I think) in Kanaskis is 1.7k from the road.

Glacier Lake in Banff is easy and I think Hector lake as well

Twin Falls in Yoho is a dead flat 10k out and back or can be made into the iceline loop camping at Twin falls and Kinowick? Making a 22-30k 3 day loop with about 700 total elevation.

Lake Minniwanka has a trail and easy hiking but the campgrounds are poorly maintained. Also I'm not sure they reopened yet since a bear went through untended food in the LM20 camp site.

Of those Iceline is a little more difficult but has fantastic views compared to the other hikes on this list. Forks is one of my favourite family backpacks becasue it has stocked wood and nice tables and benches.

For Waterton the backpacking isn't that outstanding relative to the dayhiking. Until you have done Crypt Lake, Linholm ridge, Carthew Alderson (My second favourite day hike behind the alpine circuit in Lake Ohara) and Akamina Ridge it's not worth going into the back country there.

Last edited by GGG; 06-06-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:33 AM   #446
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Little / Big Elbow Trails have a few back country camping spots located along the route and it does a loop all the way back to the Little Elbow campground. I think the first one is at Mt. Romulus, and then you hit Tombstone and Big Elbow as you go counter-clockwise.

I am not sure about the current state of the Mt. Romulus site, it says it was damaged in the 2013 floods and remediation was done in 2016, but Alberta Parks shows that it is still closed with no other information.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #447
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

shhhhhhhhhh the highway opens tomorrow.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #448
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 06-20-2017, 10:50 PM   #449
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #450
RedHotC
Draft Pick

Hi there, just wondering if any CP'er has done the Camino de Santiago hike? Planning on doing it this September and would love to hear of your experiences.
RedHotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #451
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Anybody done the Iceline Trail in Yoho?
Booked to do it this weekend...hoping some of the smoke clears by then..
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #452
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Anybody done the Iceline Trail in Yoho?
Booked to do it this weekend...hoping some of the smoke clears by then..
A few times, why?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #453
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Did Lake Anette/Paradise Valley in BNP on the weekend as a day hike. Very easy hike and would be a great easy backpacking trip if you went to the campground. Tonnes of water from the stream on the way to the lake so no need to take anything more than a litre bottle with you.

2.5km of boring forest then some great views of mount Temple, Lake Louise ski resort etc.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #454
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tryst Lake yesterday...

Avalanche brought snow right to the lake. Super spot for dogs.
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #455
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know of a three or four day backpacking trip that may be bookable still for next month? Mt Assiniboine was the plan but it seems likely to be closed due to fires. We had it booked and everything. Any other options?
Old 07-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #456
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Anyone know of a three or four day backpacking trip that may be bookable still for next month? Mt Assiniboine was the plan but it seems likely to be closed due to fires. We had it booked and everything. Any other options?
You'll have to check for availability but try Devon Lakes / clear water pass. It only requires 1 booked night at fish lakes then you open camp in the Devon lakes region and hike out the last day (30k though) or you can scramble over quartzite col and bushwhack down a creek on the way out or you can book a 2nd night at fish lakes (which might be tougher to reserve)

You can try Berg Lake but unless midweek you likely won't get reservations at the lake If you are okay with dayhiking to the lake camping at emporer falls campground may still have some availability if the the lake camps are full and it is only a flat 5k from the lake that you would hike packless.

Various Rockwell iteneryies can probably be constructed if you skip camping at flow lake and do bigger days.

Top of the World Provincial Park in BC down the kootney highway and a logging road needs no reservations and is okay but certainly not of assiboine quality.

Another okay hike but is mostly in the trees is Sawback trial from Banff to Lake Louise. I don't think it ever books up. I have never done it but friends have and there are trip reports out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #457
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
A few times, why?
Was just looking for info.

Did Iceline + Twin Falls this weekend. Started by the hostel, up Iceline and stayed at the ACC hut. Hiked up the Whaleback, down to Twin Falls and out the second day. Pretty epic hike!

Now the next question. Anybody done Northover Ridge in Kananaskis? Planning to do that in 2 weeks time. Understand the route finding is a little more difficult and it can be a bit more scrambly, anybody have some more first hand info?
Old 07-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #458
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
How many days did you do it over & what sites did you stay at?
3 days, Tekkara and Snowbowl.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #459
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 09-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #460
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did Nahahi Creek with the kids. It's a neet little slot canyon to hike down. You get to slide down rocks and logs navigating about a half km of tight slot. It's a fun different hike from the mountains passes and lakes.

You start at little elbow and continue down about 4-5k to the Nahahi Creek drainage then up the side of the mountain on some steep switchbacks for about 1k or so. Once you are through the slot you can go down further to a second really short slot section that ends in a 50-100 ft waterfall cliff. If you had repelling gear there is a real nice chokestone to anchor from. Not sure if it goes after that or if that's the only major obstacle but I definitely plan to come back without the kids and proper gear to run the whole thing.

At the cliff we just hiked back up the Canyon until we could get out the sides.

I recommend bikes for the 5k from the parking area along little elbow to the creek drainage.

Great Bike and Hike.

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness